FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: turbo 253 into old Holden.  (Read 8736 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:16:48 AM »

Guys,

Lately ive been debating what to do to the FE.
the engine needs new rings, a stroker bottom end is on the cards but what about something a little on the wild side yet legal?

got me thinkin'  theres a 253 waiting out back of the shed, and being lucky a turbo or supercharged 253 would be street legal.

now a 253 isnt renowned for power, however a 253 stroked to 310 may be fun in addition a huffer or hairdryer attached may make some decent numbers.. perhaps more than a naturally aspirated 355?

the plan would be to use the injected heads, and EFI, normally these would be way too large for a baby 253 but under pressure it may work??

the larger combustion chambers will help drop compression and when used with the suitable dish top pistons may allow the required drop.

now, the biggest hurdle would probably be space.

a relocation of brake booster and perhaps the deleting of inner guards would allow the turbo (turbos) space to be positioned and exhausts to be fabbed.

a tube frame would be necessary to restore strength to the front end...

maybe this may work!??

any thoughts on the engine combo?

Cheers
Ed

in the shed
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:19:52 AM »

i seen a write up about doing this on the aussiev8 site, ill find the link....

hea u go...

http://www.aussiev8.com.au/showthread.php?t=7971
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 05:24:20 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:38:24 AM »

Ed, there was a guy at the NSW AHD selling remote turbos. His sat over the rear axle & was piped to the engine bay. This was in a VX or VY Commodore V8. I didnt get any brochures, so cant remember his business name. I think he was based in Sydney though. An option maybe?
Colin

colt
minifcvan
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:05:27 AM »

three words ed...install a chev... hehe Grin Grin Grin
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »

Ed, if you want to pick the brains of a 253 "guru" head over to the SMASA Forum (http://www.smasa.com.au/discussion) and PM a bloke called "toranamuk", a top bloke and great engine builder. He had a 253 in a UC Torana that could shutdown most 308s.

There's also a thread over on the Torana forums of a bloke doing a 4.2 Wink Turbo conversion
http://www.gmh-torana.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=645

Rob_FE_56

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 03:02:49 AM »

G'day Ed,
It's probably not a bad Idea going the stroker route as well as the turbo/s, if the funds will allow.

You will need to do a piston swap if you want to put some serious boost in there anyway.

A local bloke here is running a stroker 253, it's around  
290 cubes and it goes quite well naturally aspirated.

Straight LPG with twin Gas research carbies on it.
Made about 340 rearwheel hp with a 2 1/2" single system.

Cheers, Rob.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »

torque thanks for the link,

col, yeah i remember the turbo charged ute with the turbo in the rear.  interesting idea, woul dyou believe there is no room under the wagon?
i figure cutting out the inner guards would be the best way to get rid of heat and create additional space.

pipes in the engine bay does tend to create heat in a V8 conversion, a turbo would only exacerbate the problem without additional cool air.

Stinky and ROb,
thanks for the info, look slike 253's are often overlooked, but as long as there are 308s and 355s they probably always will be. despite some reasonable power.

im just contemplating a 253 as it falls within the power limits for the vehicle (for the moment anyway).

perhaps this just comes down to craziness as a 355 with the good gear will put out the same power or probably more without the engineering troubles.

in the end power = $$$....

perhaps this is meant for another project... Im thinking in an LX torana.

Cheers

Ed

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 09:44:18 PM by EH » Logged

in the shed
chesoir

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 01:53:56 PM »

Turbo in the rear ?? Wouldn't that end up giving you about half an hour of lag ?? Add an intercooler, and you'd be 3 or 4 miles past the christmas tree before the turbo did anything at all.
I dunno, just goin on my experience with big diesels with intercoolers and turbos.
Maybe you could stomp on it, back off, and wait for the effects !! Smiley
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 05:28:03 AM »

I agree chesoir,

the enormous lag would be horrendous IMO, even if you used tiny little turbos to spool up faster.

im a bit over it at the moment, there is no such thing as cheap power.

will get my motorbike running again, I miss the grin factor.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: