FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 04:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: T700R4 conversion.  (Read 4581 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:50:34 PM »

Guys,

I am contemplating replacing the TH400 with a T700 R4 (VN?).

I have seen a few of these around and noticed that they use a TV cable (throttle?) to determine shiftpoints?

Which one is suitable for a VN V8.  considering i can use the ECU for the lock up convertor etc.  how are shift points determined?  the TH400 uses electric kickdown and vac modulator.  surely the T700 wouldnt use a cable off the throttle (like TH350?)

Would the 4L60E (electronic T700) be a better option?

I'm after the easiest changeover box (if that's possible)

any advice, help appreciated

cheers

Ed

in the shed
HARKO
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 11:19:45 PM »

Im running the VN TH700 behind my red in the FB ED , The difference in accelerator control and kickdown control is absoloutely critical , Has to be set within a millimetre .
If you can use the factory bracketry Do so ,If not it can happen but its a shit of a job dialing it in ..

The end result with the extra gear is absoloutely brilliant and well worth the effort.
What diff gears are you running ?
Im running 3:36 and with the little 192 its just right for punch off the lights and good highway gearing in top. 14 inch rims with 185 / 75

Hope your happy with that answer dude .
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »

hi Harko,

how have you been?

so looks like kick down is all cable controlled in that case.

I dont have any factory brackets so maybe i will need to stuff about with the cable set points a bit.

what shifter have you used?

i'm running 3.25 gears so will enjoy the overdrive.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
HARKO
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 01:06:50 AM »

Im using the factory commodore shifter although Ive somewhat disguised it by making a factory looking console from the metal seat sides of an EK.
Its heaps of stuffing around , I boxed the tunnel to suit fitment of the rivetted plate the shifter sits in , making sure the angles matched its original console and height was the same I made brackets to mount all the plastic shite that shows gear position indicator , plastic slide etc .
Then I made the console , then made the console to suit the application so it holds the plastic stuff in position and on its locating pins .
Looks trick but a bugger to do if you compare to aftermarket shifters which would suit your car well.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:31:03 AM »

Hey harko,

console sounds nice, def worth the stuffing about i'd say.

im thinking of using a B&M or Lokar shifter.

which of course means modding the console amongst a host of other things.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 09:24:09 PM »

Harko,

any chance of posting  a pic of your TV cable set up?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Rob_FE_56

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:08:15 AM »

G'day Ed,
I'm going to run a Vr 5ltr with the factory electronically     controlled auto.
There is a couple of ways to set it up but only one way that gives the auto the correct shift points and converter lock-up set point.

You need to run a VN/VP cable drive from the extension housing to a drive "splitter" that drives your speedo cable and runs your sensor for the computer.
you need to source a speedo drive "card" pcb from a vr or later dash (just cut off the wires that drive the speedo needle)  and wire this between the trans sensor and the ecu.

This way the trans and computer interact as if they were still in a commodore and the converter locks up when it's supposed to, vastly improving fuel economy and trans life.

Using the electronic ecu/auto requires that send the ecu away and get the imobiliser disabled also.

If you were starting from scratch I'd suggest you use a Vn/Vp auto as you don't need the ECU to control it.

It's a bit of a tradeoff, either more mucking around to get the kickdown right with a VN style auto or a bit  more expense to set up and wire an electronic auto properly.

Cheers, Rob.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 08:05:17 PM »

thanks for that info Rob,

ive already used a VN  ECU so perhps the R4 box is the best choice as it would allow Torque convertor lock up control already.

trying to source a good box is the challenge, Ive accepted that its going to be a fiddle with the TV cable.

thanks for you useful info

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 01:17:40 AM »

update..

Finally tracked down an R4 box over the holidays.

I am making a kick down bracket which is adjustable, and modifying the accelerator linkage to suit.  Of course the only kit that could help me is worth over 200 AUD, so with a bit of thought I've managed to make an adjustable TV cable linkage for pennies.

now to rebuild the box!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 10:50:41 PM »

Hey all,

Does anybody know if a Flex plate to suit a TH400 will fit a TH700?

my guess is no.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: