FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:22:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Racing red heads?? Help Please  (Read 7966 times)
Addo

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2006, 06:37:36 AM »

Ok, I've got to admit, Total confusion as to what I have and what to do with it.
The head I pulled off the racing red motor.
It's been a long time since I played motors, At first I thought it may be off a blue motor, but no it's a red. I compared it to another old hot red head I have and the ports, particularly inlet are way bigger. The thing thats got me worried is that its got no combustion chamber except for the figure 8ish shape around the valves. the other head has a distinct combust chamber. Is this normal for any red or has it been milled to the point of being useless for a street/ petrol engine? I'm trying to put together a good street hotty 202  to put in the old FC flyer for summer, not to run a muck I'm too old for that  Wink but to remind me of the good old days.
Any advice appreciated.
craiga
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 09:31:02 AM »

Hi Addo,

This thing must have massive compression ratio, with no combustion chamber it must be about 12:1? depending upon pistons. And the large inlet ports speak high rev use only, big cam & multiple carbies. Maybe magneto.

I would guess it was run either with 2" SU's, triple webbers or injection, most likely using methanol. Doesn't sound overly streetable, but hey who cares :-) Get out there and create havoc at 6000rpm!!

I got my XU1 running last week and it has 11:1 compression and tripple webers and is totally streetable. It uses a highly modified 149 head on a 202 + 60" block, and goes like a bucking bronco with a jet shoved up its arse. An FE/FC weighs almost the same as the XU1, so your engine would provide similar performance - I can easily spin the wheels in the first three gears with a 3.08 LSD. I reckon mid to low 13's on street tyres - you'd get the same.

Not suitable for an everyday driver, but OK for weekend smile factor.

Oh, and I'm planning on a CIG 3.55 centre - even bigger SMILE.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Craig.

Addo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 10:22:07 AM »

Craig, Yes it was running methonol thru  mechanical injection system that looked like a set of triplewebbers without the carbies.
At 11:1 comp ratio what sort of psi would that give you in each pot? This thing was pushing 250psi cold on the bench. Give or take for the cheap tester I was using.
At that ratio it would ping and rattle it's head off on petrol wouldn't it?
minifcvan
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »

HI ALL, I THINK THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN TWO RED HEADS RACING(FEMALES) ....sorry i couldnt help myself
craiga
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »

Addo,

Not sure about the static compression pressure.

At 12:1 though you'll surely have fuel problems - I used 100 octane fuel (Shell) and had no problems at 11:1 with 14 Deg BTDC initial timing, 34 Deg BTDC total advance (all mechanical). I need to have a bit more of a fiddle via road testing but I think I'm about right at those figures.

If you wanted to use this head on the street you might be able to use a decompression plate or I have heard of multiple head gaskets used to reduce comp ratio. Or why don't you just use the other head you've got?

I googled this to read a bit more on compression ratio and thought this made interesting reading http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0311_phr_compression_ratio_tech/

Forum user Leon (fccool59) has been mucking around with a blown red lately. He might be able to help a bit more.

Cheers,

Craig.

Addo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »

Thanks Craig for input, The other head is flogged out and needs redoing, this one looks new, and besides I've just got to use it some how it looks too good not too. I was going to try the old two head gaskets but it seems easier to blow two head gaskets than one. Just my perception.
I'll work some thing out, it would be nice to have one that really got going!
Thanks again.
Addo
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »

Yeah Addo it will be a problem with the two gaskets at such high comp, maybe you could try a different rod and piston combo to  get less comp but it would be slightly less stroke?Huh failing that you could send the head to me in Darwin and i could find you another good head Tongue Grin Grin

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 12:40:18 AM »

Bit of a follow up guys, as it turns out the Racing engine has ACL high comp. racing pistons and on sending the old head away that needed doing up, the guy did a calculation on the stroke, bore and piston type and told me that there isn't a holden head out there that would relieve the engine enough to run less than 11.5-1 compression. Damn, non steetable bottom end. It's a 202 red with a blue motor crank, 60 thou over, a really sweet lightened flywheel, solids and a cam that is a bit over the top. So the old 202 stocker I'm currently running is halfway out of the car (no engine no.s problem this way). It's going down to be re bored, I'm ordering a set of standard compression ACL racers to go in it, fitting blue crank etc, and putting the original head off the racing 202 with the roller rockers, on it. Still trying to decide weather to run a milder cam and hydraulic lifters or stick with the mongrel cam and solids. Guessing at the moment but the comp. ratio should fall between 10 and 11-1 which is streetable. Still sorting out what carby setup to use that will fit in the engine bay.
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:56 AM »

Interesting post - please keep up the updates.

Craig, where do you get your Shell 100 RON?

Dave
craiga
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 05:07:37 AM »

Hi Dave,

Shell 100 is available at selected Shell servo's, see here for one local to you http://tinyurl.com/j22qm

Cheers,

Craig.
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 06:36:15 AM »

Thanks Craig.

Any worries with the ethanol?

Dave
suziecreamcheese

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 12:17:31 PM »

are you talking about the high compression head compared to a low comp head?? if itsa high comp it has a figure 8 around the valves and next to nothing combustion chamber near your temp sender low comp has an L cast in it the low has a bigger combustion chamber more rounded shape on the bottom side of the head it should have like a thumb mark to guage how far the head has been shaved this thumb mark disappears at about 80 thou i think?? we shaved 120 thou of a street hot 202 low com head with no problem correct me if im wrong its been a while Huh
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:05:23 AM »

You can only just make out where the thumb print was when comparing it to another low comp head. It is very noticeably shaved. The combustion chamber has also been relieved enough to cope with the oversize valves.
By coincidence I'm going out to put the head on the new bottom end tonight. I went with a hydraulic cam &  lifters, Wont be long before I know what she runs like.
suziecreamcheese

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:25 PM »

watch your pushrod length
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 08:11:22 AM »

Bit of an update.
I"M STOKED!;D
Got this baby together and she's in the car (the cars a bit off a mess and still half pulled apart). I've got a bit to do before the street initiation but this thing is sweet!
A couple of little teething problems but it is crisp and clean and sounds just how they should. The headers off the race motor slightly modified to fit the FC and a 2&1/2" system really makes it. I've got it fired up with the standard carby to iron out the bugs and then I'm going to play with a 48 mm sidedraft Weber (single) it seems to be the only thing apart from a holley that will fit the engine bay nice and I'v been hanging on to the manifold for 22 years so I'd like to at least try it. If thats a lemon I might have a go at a 4 barrel holley or similar. Any other suggestions welcome but space is a real problem and the motor is set right back against the firewall.
You've gotta love the sound of a hot red Cool
suziecreamcheese

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »

that sounds awesome your right do luv that red motor racket we ran a 465 four barrel because of the space issue tried some 1 3/4 su's on a slanted manifold relocated the battery and they were such a pain in the arse we used a lh torana throttle cable and pedal and we milled the top off the carby(choke assembly). cheers suzie cream cheese
craiga
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 05:37:32 AM »

Addo,

Here's a video of my red motor.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2vwh05v

Its about 10 Meg so not really dial up friendly :-(

Sound is also a bit funny as it was recorded on my camera phone. Makes it sound a little like a tractor!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 09:43:32 AM »

Nice.
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 10:08:20 AM »

Gotta love what you have there Craig, it's sssoo ccccoooool!!!! Cool.  You sir are indeed a connoisseur of fine things!
Addo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: