FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: LPG conversion.  (Read 5101 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:20:15 PM »

With the hefty cost of fuel and a thirsty V8 i reckon i may convert to LPG.

problem.. ive got a wagon and need a small tank.

anybody here with a donut or triple tank in a car?

how big are they physically and in litres?

I am thinking of hiding it in the drop tank by cutting out the top and bracing it internally.

there is also a new technology about to emerge "gas injection" where it usees existing ECU for EFI computer.

any guide on tank sizes would be great.  I have had a LPG vehicle previously, that was only a 202 using existing gas ring technology.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:52:00 AM »

Gas research do some nice setups..... my brother got quoted $2500 including tank, filler valve, lines, throttle body, twin convertors, fitted and dyno tuned, ready to drive out.

Looking at the new LPG rebate, ( some discussion on this here: http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=84372)

i would say that straight gas or duel fuel is the way to go.... sorry i couldnt help any further.... Wink

the way things are goin our v8 fc is going to end up on gas
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:52:41 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:02:11 AM »

my bros car is a straight gas EH with a 179 and its tops on fuel.

ive had a duel fule bedford van before and now i reckon a straight gas FE would be excellent.

there is new injection gas technology emerging so i am holding off until that.

im hoping if i cut the lid out of my streeneat tank it will be large enough to conceal a LPG donut tank.  initial google research suggests a donut tank can be anywhere between 600 and 720 daimeter and from 200 - 350mm tall.

now i would prolly need at least a 70 litre tank (56 Litre) LPG capacity, and going off my current fuel range (and allowing 30% extra for LPG burn) that may get me about 250 kms.

250kms is enough.. approx bike range which is annoying but coud put up with it.

i do not want to use current LPG technology tho, it is outdated IMO. LPG displaces oxygen in the manifold and reduces efficiency.

just some thoughts at this stage...

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Kathy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:01:49 AM »

In case anyone is interested, Ausindustry is where you will find all the information on the new LPG conversion grants recently announced by the Govt.  All the rules/regs, application forms etc can be found here:

http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/content/level3index.cfm?ObjectID=D47685C8-0B0B-459C-B07A2EFBDB3D4AF7&L2Parent=AEB901E5-7CB8-4143-A3BF33B2423F9DA6
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:02:27 AM by Kathy » Logged
crashbox

cruzin in the FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 11:27:51 AM »

G'DAY GUYS... Wink
YEP A 70 LITRE DONUT TANK FITS GREAT,PUT ONE IN MY HD WAGON....NO REAL PROBLEM,JUST REMEMBER OR GIVE THOUGHT TO WERE YOU ARE GOING TO RUN THE LPG LINES,AND THE FILLER .....I HAD A HQ/J/X/Z NUMBER PLATE HOLDER  AS IT FLIPS DOWN YOU CAN PUT THE FILLER BEHIND IT(PROBABLY MOUNT IT ON BUMBER) IF YOU ARE HANDY YOU COULD DO ALL THE LINES/TANK MOUNTING YOURSELF AT LEAST YOU WONT GET A EXTRA FILLER ON THE QUARTER PANEL...RUN ALL THE LINES ON OPPOSITE SIDE TO FUEL LINES AWAY FROM ALL THE EXHAST  AND MOUNT UP THE CONVERTER IN ENGINE BAY YOUR SELF.....SUM LPG GUYS WILL LET YOU DO THIS,THEN THEY INSPECT /TEST IT SAVE EM TIME SAVE YOU SUM MONEY.....BOUGHT MY DOUNUT TANK NEW FOR AROUND $550......DID THE FITTING UP... ALL UP AROUND IT COST ME ABOUT  $1350 PASSED........ Smiley
CRUZIN WITH LPG Grin

ps my mate has a fc wagon with lpg will see  how he done it if ya like

"A GOOD HOLDEN IS A CRUZIN HOLDEN"
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:23:03 PM »

HEy Crashbox,

that sounds promising.. I forgot to measure up my wagon tank last nite for space.

Where did you put your spare tyre in your HD?

I am planning to run LPG only (if i do it), so the entire fuel system will come out and be replaced with the LPG hose.

my only requirement is it must not look like it is running LPG.  the only giveaway may be the convertor.  hopefully the new injection style systems wont have a huge convertor.

where did you get your donut tank?  

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 09:16:01 PM »

Just a thought Ed , why cut the guts out of a perfectly good fuel tank ? Could you get a cover folded up to hide the tank and sell the existing one to recoup some of the conversion costs?

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 09:31:40 PM »

Good idea Blacky,

the tank I have is a beaut fit and I am pretty sure to get one folded up to this quality would be difficult but not impossible.

Guess I could always speak to Marty Dean again.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »

Ed, check out the latest Street Machine, the Dodge step-side setup is very neat, although it is "old lpg technology"  Grin.
The Gasresearch carbs have a good rep and last time I saw one, they look a little like an EFI throttle body.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »

will check it out stinky when i get it.

have a look at this link.. this is waht im waiting for.
injection that uses your existing ECU.

I wont go to LPG if it means an additional ECU or it renders my EFI obsolete.  it is self defeating, after all the trouble of wiring it up and mapping it to back to old tech is a step backwards.

have a read of this.... Aussie built to boot!!!!

http://www.gas-injection.com/contact-gas-injection-technologies.html

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: