FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 09:33:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: removal of soundproofing from roof  (Read 2020 times)
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2006, 08:25:59 AM »

I do not want to disturb the primer on top with heat, also I dont want to risk an outward dent on the top of the roof witch the paint scraper looks as though it might do.
I wish I removed this before I turned the car back right way up, or atleast before priming the roof.
I thought it would come of easy becuase parts were already starting to lift but it seems to be pretty stuck on.
Any know any magic trics for removal?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
crashbox

cruzin in the FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 08:56:08 AM »

G'DAY Smiley
WELL WOT I DONE IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS IS......
OK I KNOW YOU DONT LIKE HEAT....BUT IF YOU USE A HAIRDRIYER,ONLY TO SOFTEN UP THE BOARD,IT MAY THEN BE ABLE TO PEELBACK BIT ,BYE BIT...SLOWLY,A LONG BLADED STANLEY KNIFE WILL HELP,BUT DONT CUT YOURSELF,ASK FOR ANOTHER PAIR OF HANDS........THE HEAT PRODUCED BY THE HAIR DRYER WILL BE NOT GEARTER THAN THE CAR SITTING OUTSIDE IN A HOT 35'DEG DAY.....IT SHOULD NOT HARM THE PRIMER.... OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO WAIT FOR A HOT DAY THIS MAY HELP YA...SERIOUSLY,I HAVE PICKED HOT DAYS TO TAKE WINDSCREENS OUT OF HQ HOLDENS AS IT SOFTENS UP THE SEALER,IT DOES WORK!
GOOD LUCK ....AND HAVE PATIENCE Grin

"A GOOD HOLDEN IS A CRUZIN HOLDEN"
FC229

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:50:53 AM »

Why get rid of it? Sounds like your making work for yourself.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:50:26 PM »

Use a heat gun carefully, with a paint scrapper that you have taken the sharp corners off.

Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:55:16 AM »

Hey fccool59
                 A heat gun will help loosen it but unfortunately I think the only thing to remove it is elbow grease. Don't worry too much about putting dents in the roof as you'r dealing with real steel and not rice paper .
   I got mine off with a three inch scraper and a one inch chisel for the stubborn spots, belted the chisel with the palm of my hand and in no way looked like deforming the roof. Then lightly used an 80 grit sander  to remove the deadener only. Don't hold the sander in one spot too long as heat build up can cause warping  Cry.  Gradually increase the grade of sand paper and  soon enough it will look like a mirror Smiley.
  Don't generate to much heat and your primer should be unaffected
  Hope this helps
 Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: