FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 02:28:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: boot spring unsprung!  (Read 3682 times)
Sheriff
qld-club

Model: FE

FEs rule!

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2006, 02:38:30 AM »

For some unknown reason, my driver's side boot spring came adrift when I closed the boot this morning.  I see in the manual that a special tool is needed to refit it.  Has anyone any experience with this?   I imagine such a tool is unobtainable and the only option would be to get one made up.  Maybe someone has an alternative idea?  Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks, Mike.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 02:54:56 AM »

Check the shaft that the spring mounts on, usually the reason the spring comes off is because the shaft gets worn and then either bends or a piece breaks off.  I have a tool which you could borrow but you may be able to find one a little closer.

Ken
Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »

Thanks Ken.   Shaft does not appear broken. It resembles a large split pin with the ends slightly splayed. Appears solid though.  I'll see how I go on the forum for a closer tool for the time being.  Thanks for the offer.   Mike.
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:56:06 PM »

Mike,
I had a similar problem with both springs, one side came off -  the other side the pin had broken. I removed the springs, pins and brackets and replaced them with gas strutts and haven't had a problem since

Weddo
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 12:11:14 AM »

Mike,
        I had a tool made up to the picture in the work shop manual, you can borrow also.  Where are you located?

Michael
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:10:32 AM »

Even with the tool it's a mongrel job.  There's a lot to be said for acquiring or fabbing a set of adjustable springs.

Basically it's just a biggish bolt with a slot cut into the threaded end that you replace the old pin with.  A decent size ratchet handle on the bolt-head lets you tighten the spring from its inner lug, rather than from the outer edge using the tool.  A lock-nut on the inner face (put that on first, of course :-/) and you're away.  Another nut finger-tight after the spring is fitted can help to keep the slotted end from flaring when you start loading up the spring.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 04:49:32 AM »

Thanks for the clues fellows.   Michael,  I am at Highfields just outside Toowoomba.  Will send you a pm. Mike.
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 09:06:41 AM »

Angry

Mike ,I had a similar problem with my boot not staying  open and upon inspection found the left spring was in back to front and the mechanism had some how flipped through, causing it to work against the other spring and drag the boot shut.It took a bit of time to work it out hense the "NASCO Boot stick".Anyway what I did was make a special tool for the springs using the diagram from the Workshop Manual. With a screw driver and a cover (rag) over the spring (to keep it from doing me any damage)and to keep it within the boot worked it and the mechanism off,turned it the right way round and using the "Special Tool" fixed it back into place. I also found it easier to do with the boot closed partially as there is less tension on the spring and a piece of cloth over the boot lock to prevent being locked in.It took me about 20 mins to do but the end result is the boot stays up unassisted.

Cheers Rusty (And good luck)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: