FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:24:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE NUMBERS FOR WHOEVER WANTS THEM  (Read 8042 times)
minifcvan
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »

Hi all, i went to look at a FE sedan GOOD restorer Shocked Shocked( so the bloke said) between griffith and ardlethan  on sunday.it was basicly a bare shell with three doors and 3000 bullet holes in it and the floor was totally rusted out got a couple of things of it but wasnt worth the three hour round trip to see it.
                 NO       FE225 29157 S
                 TRIM    206/718
                 PAINT  253/7455
                            253/7708

hope these numbers are usfull to some one
cheers mark
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:17:59 PM by minifcvan » Logged
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:46:43 AM »

Can the id plate be used on another unregistered car with a different body number (stamped on in the engine bay on drivers side)

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:03:31 AM »

I know in Victoria the body number is not recorded. The only numbers officially recorded are the chassis number and the engine number.
Therefore there is no problem swapping ID plates from on ecar to another.
Others may know more details about NSW or QLD officialdom, but I presume it is similar to Vic.
Ken
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »

G'day all,
       When i registered my car in Victoria, the chassis number was too hard to read so they took the number off the id plate to rego the car.
                                 Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:17:59 PM »

Russet Brown over Cuban Beige, this car is/was the same colour as Ridgy Didge's car and about 400 earlier.

Unusual combination.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 08:05:35 AM »

anyone know what the law is in QLD for swapping plates?
How can you tell if its a genuine special if you buy a car with an id plate thats been swapped (and you don't know)

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 08:14:53 AM »

thats easy, you dont  Grin the only way to tell is by taking the areas where a specials trim usually is back to baremetal and see if the holes have been boged/welded up.

Cool Cool

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »

if the doors havent been replaced!
Any way of finding out when it was last registered?

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:48:36 AM »

if it was an fe special there shouldve been trim holes just below the rear screen

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
minifcvan
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 09:52:25 AM »

HMMMMMMM
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »

you can bet your life if you tell a transport dept that you have swapped id's your car will end up in the crusher, very dubious,
its called rebirthing and i always thought it was against the law.
but then again being as dumb as dog shit ;Di could be wrong.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »

Rebirthing is changing a cars registered details.  If the body number does not form part of the cars registration, then it is not rebirthing.  The primary purpose of the ID plate is to help the factory with identification when purchasing spare parts.  Trim and paint are obvious, but a lot of parts were superceded during the model run and the body number at which they were changed is listed in the parts book - not the chassis number.
It was also possible to purchase a new body shell from GMH during the 50's and 60's and I have details of quite a few cars which no longer have ID plates because they have a new shell fitted.  Forum member RABBITOH comes to mind with his FE sedan which has a ID plate with just a part number on it along with a sequential build number of the new shell.

In fact the practise of changing a cars subframe is what is illegal, because the chassis number is on the subframe.  It is also illegal to cut the chassis number out of the old subframe and weld it into the replacement.  Any subframe which has been replaced must technically be taken to your local RTA office and be stamped and recorded by an officer there.

Ken

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 11:19:50 AM »

In answer to NES's question, you can ring the RTA and ask questions about your car giving chassis number and engine number details and they should be able to tell you when it was last registered (as long as it was within the last 20 years or so)  They may not tell you what the number was or any specific details about the registration though due to privacy laws.
I rang about the army sedan and confirmed the last registration in 1982 and its engine number as being correct.  As long as I kept asking "is this the correct number" they would tell me yes or no.  They would not answer any question where I asked what the number was.

Ken
minifcvan
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 07:45:16 PM »

well guys who would of thought some numbers would be such a talking point... i think this is the most answers to a post that ive ever had.. Grin Grin Grin cheers mark p.s who actually collects them? because i know where about two dozen other fe/fc's are if you want the numbers... Wink Wink
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 09:17:47 PM »

Mark,
Did you take any photos of the Ardlethan car shell?  I'd be interested to see it because its numbers are quite close to mine, ie same colour etc as pointed out by John.  Mine is FE225 29650 S and this one is FE225 29157 S.
While talking body numbers - Ken, what access can anyone get to your data base?  It would be interesting to see information such as how many of a particular colour combinations appear (ie russet brown/cuban beige) and the highest body number you have recorded for a Sydney made FE 225 etc.  I'm sure others would be interested to have information on some of these sorts of things.
Cheers,
David

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 07:16:53 AM »

I am the said collector of records for FE and FC.
What I have is a collection of over 4000 cars' records in a database that has taken me over 15 years to find and countless hours of work to put together.
I am only too willing to answer questions for people but I will not provide copies of the data base.
I am preparing a large report for a presentation later this year and also writing a book about FE/FC.

Regards    Ken

ps any donations of body plate / chassis number details are gratefully accepted.
minifcvan
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 04:53:17 AM »

ok ken i will get the rest for you cheers mark/ david i would take a pic but its a 3hr round trip and the car had been burnt at sometime
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 05:16:43 AM »

No problems Mark.  Sounds like it is too far gone in more way then one.
David

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »

You have any tags for an fc225 with paint code for white with a red insert?

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 12:56:06 AM »

There are a few combinations like that.  Have a look at this list here, the numbers in the range 251+ are all FC combinations, there are quite a few red and white pairs:

278      Empress Maroon over India Ivory
295      Blaze Red over India Ivory
302      Panama Red over India Ivory

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: