FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 02:22:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Kiwis  (Read 6690 times)
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »

I have a VN V6 motor in my EK which still has the power steering pump mounted even though it doesnt have power steering. A certain company makes an idler pulley so I can get rid of the pump , however they want what I consider stupid money for the kit.
In the Holden parts lists there is a listing for a belt to suit a VN WITHOUT power steering , apparently they were sold in NZ only , so the belts are not available over here and people I have asked about getting me one say its all too hard.
Is there anyone on that side of the Tasman who is in the spare parts game or is prepared to try and source me a couple of these belts ?

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:41:32 PM »

hey Blacky,

Does the VN use a serpentine grooved belt or a V belt?

If a V belt - perhaps fab up a suitable adjustable ideler pulley to take up the slack.  I had to do this with my belt arrangement (5.0L), as off the shelf belts were too short or too long.

If a grooved belt perhaps make an idler using the grooved alternator pulley adapted to a power steering idler pulley?

just a thought.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:43:16 PM »

Hey Blacky,
I've seen a VN v6 in a Rod without p/s and the belt was a slightly tight fit but the owner had no problems with anything breaking, ie water pump/alt bearings. The only thing is on one of the driven pullys from memory the grooves of the belt are face down with no abnormal wear. I made a mental note of the part number but forgot. I know the part number ended in ##55. Hope this helps.

Seb

Yellow Knight

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »

Hi Blacky,
Have you tried a serpentine belt to suit a VN V6 without Air Conditioning?
Regards ACE  Cool
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 02:06:04 AM »

Forgot to add that it did'nt have air con.

Seb

Yellow Knight

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:06:38 AM »

With my belt adjustment I made the pulley to suit the closest belt I could find. this was done by lowering the pulley to get the right tension as I have moved where the airconditioning sits.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »

hi kiwi over here in NZ will check with local holden dealership about V6 fan belt.
Now just to get things straight you are after a belt for a VN V6 without powersteering and no air conditioning.
Will see what i can find out tomorrow
Cheers Tony
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:33 PM »

Thanks Tony , yes you have it right - no air cond and no power steer.

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »

hi blacky went to local Holden dealership here in Christchurch NZ.
No VN V6 came out without powersteering or air con
BUT....... overhere in kiwiland Holden for the love of ""god knows what they where thinking "" bought out a 4 cylinder VN  these didn't have powersteering but did have air con!
Maybe this is the listing for the belt.Huh
Cheers Tony
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »

Thanks for your efforts Tony , I cant recall where I read that about the no power steer / air cond. deal - I just filed it away in the memory bank thinking about a source for a drive belt.Obviously I was wrong - thanks again for taking the time to check it out.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »

Blacky,
         i do believe that castlemaine auto elec's have the idler pulley to suit. i can get their number if you would like blacky? Cool

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 07:24:23 PM »

Hi Guys.

The belt is the same size for VN V6 with or without power steering. There is a shorter belt for car without A/C,  & these are easy to find.

To explain that a little further, there were a small number of early VN V6 cars built without power steering, they just used a VL manual rack & mounted an idler pulley assembly in place of the power steer pump. The idler assembly simply bolts where the pump normally sits & the normal pump pulley is bolted to it. So the standard size belt fits the same way, in the same place.

These cars were not exported to NZ, to my knowledge they were for certain government fleets in Australia, that strangely wanted cars without power steering. The same thing happened back in VB-VH Commodore days, when some police departments ordered V8 Commodores without power steer even though it was standard fitting on the most basic model V8 sold to the public.

In defence of the mob that want a 'high' price for their idler assembly, it does cost time & money to produce 'one-off' custom built bits for modified cars. If you add a couple of hours machining to the price of the price of the parts & material to build it, you will get to a few hundred dollars very easily. One of the reasons you don't find too many workshops around these days building modified cars profitably. Most of the affordable bits & pieces are made by semi-retired types who make things in their spare time & for cash, they are not restricted by mountains of government rules, regulations, taxes & charges !! I should stop now before my blood begins to boil.

Dr Terry.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 07:56:21 PM »

Blacky, it might pay to head down to your local rice wrecker, not sure if you'd have one down your way.
Anyway, on the wife's Toyota Spacia there is a tension pulley that is adjustable, other models probably have similar and it might be something you can adapt for your project.
I'll try and get a photo, but those Spacia engine bays are a bitch.

blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 08:53:45 PM »

Cheers fellas , its one of those "one day" jobs , one day I will sort it out , it all works at the moment , just seems silly to have a power steering pump doing nothing under the bonnet . Stinky , there is a wreckers across the road from work so I will have a look at whats on offer - no need for a pic but thanks anyway.

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 09:03:35 PM »

You can pull the "vanes" out of the pump and then it will work as an idler-pulley, less drag on engine and no pressuerized fluid?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: