FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 10:30:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: smooth lines at door edge  (Read 2967 times)
Jonno

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:07:34 AM »

Hi,
just trying to sort out some of the last details on the ute body and have noticed that (on both sides) the uppermost inch or so of the doors seem to protrude relative to the rest of the body (photo below).  I can't remember (did this years ago, failing memory) removing large amounts of bog from this area....but I assume that the final profile should match that of the body....so we will have to fill up the body in that area?  Does anyone have a photo of this area on a painted car?

thanks, jonno Huh

Cottles Bridge, VIC
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:33:30 PM »

Hey Jonno.
That corner can be manipulated with a mallet to get it to conform with the body. Best done before paint.
Yours however looks to be missing a bit of the body and drip rail. I know on a sedan there is a plug hole for a rubber stopper in that corner (not sure on ute) is that still there?
How does it match up to the other side?
Regards
Alex

leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »

G Day Jonno.
I'm sure  when there were some deep  imperfect impressions in the final shape of  body parts they would fill in with lead and shape the contour of that particular part.
Maybe you could do the same.
Regards. Leon  Wink
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:12:49 PM »

thanks guys,

Yes..the holes for bump stops are still there and both doors are identical (just wrong!). It sounds like you are saying that the final lines (after paint) should be smooth in this area....so some lead fill/hammer work will be in order..

Jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 12:06:23 AM »

after reading this i had a look at mine,rh door is not as neat fit at top as my left ,i took a couple of pics for you anyway.

Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:50:09 AM »

thanks Nicko....thought I was just being paranoid...but looks like there may be some natural variation.

J

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 10:24:41 PM »

Hi Jonno.
           If the doors are not the original ones from the car I think you will find that a mallet would be only needed after building up the area with lead (as per factory) or bog.
      Commercial vehicle finish was not a big priority 50 years ago so they used a lot of lead to fill in the imperfections.  It looks from your pic that some of the lead is still on the panel and the curve of the door is as it should be. As for the bottom of the drip rail Im fairly sure that its ok just the way it is. But I would see If I could find a standard unrestored one for comparison.
        hope this helps
                  Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: