FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 05:27:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering Arm Tube  (Read 2175 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2006, 01:12:54 AM »

Hi All,

About to replace the steering arm on my FC ute as the current one is somewhat worm. Have heard that they were a fault of these models.

Got a great second hand on. Pulled it all apart and cleaned it up. However, I'm having trouble remembering which way the sliding dust covers face. Do they face towards the outside of the tube or inwards. When I mean face there is a little difference in the ends of the covers.

Interesting to note that these ones are a sliding metal cover. I have another tube also off a FC that had rubber boots over the joints instead. Has anyone else noted these differences.

THanks

Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 07:16:23 AM »

Can't remember exactly which way they go off hand, but if they are the wrong way round they don't cover the hole in the drag link properly.
The rubber dust covers were an accessory for country use mostly.

Ken
craiga
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 07:44:58 AM »

were a fault of these models

The removal/disassembly/clean, repair, replace worn parts/refit/wheel align of a standard drag link front end on an FE/FC is, in my opinion, one of the best repairs you will make on these models.

Many cars have sat for reasonable periods of time and the grease has gone hard, blocking new grease from reaching the drag link cups and ball. Remove the drag link, disassemble it, fit new parts if worn (Rares do a kit), grease and reassemble, refit and you'll have the equivalent of 1950's power steering.

Try it, and you won't be disappointed. Just remember to lay the parts out in order as you remove them or have a factory manual available, and you WILL need a wheel alignment afterwards.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:04:22 AM by craiga » Logged
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:00:57 AM »

Nice photo Craig.

You are the "most best" drag link rebuilder...ever!
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 08:04:01 AM »

I bet you wish you had one like that Eddie.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
craiga
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:09:23 AM »

Body by Holden, Soul by Fast Eddie

Drag Link by Craig ;-)
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »

Leon,

That is mine...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print