FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:58:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Windscreen Wiper Conversions  (Read 15001 times)
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:38:44 AM »

Hi,

Back from a trip to Foster, and have my FC.  I'm looking to convert the Winscreen wipers over to Electric.  Ive been told to look at EK, and I've also found a mob named Castel Autos in Vic who sell a new kit.

Any Ideas on the best way to go, and any pricing to expect.
hawk
nsw-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:31 AM »

Asus pm Ken Mc clean  mcl1959 forum name he does a 2 speed wiper conversion  Cheers Greg Wink
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:18:23 AM »

Thanks,
I will have to check him out.

The old system just wont cut it.  I guess after 48 years I to will be lacking in some steam. Eyes are already on the blink.

cheers

ASUS
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »

After my trip to Ballarat swap, I managed to pick up an EK wiper motor, so I am able to offer 1 only complete wiper motor without changeover for $95.  This includes the switch.

Ken
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 04:58:14 AM »

With the EK motor. Does this fit straight in or would I require to get linkages, and arms etc.
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:18:27 AM »

Hi Ken   If nobody has claimed that wiper motor I will buy it of you. I can give you 2 EK wiper motors if you need them to biuld up your stock. Let me know before Easter and I can bring them down .          Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:32 AM »

OOPs  Iam after the 2 speed wiper motor kit or motor sorry.       Cheers Al

See ya
Al
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »

off the track a bit but does any one know if a vn wiper motor can be adapted to the fc at all?

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:40:29 PM »

Yes it can, but you need the fb/ek? rotating arm bit to connect the fc linkages to.
Switch and wiring then needs to be sorted.
Firewall needs a slight massage for clearance as well.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 09:43:19 PM »

yes it can Nes,

using the EK base, it will hang vertical rather than horizontal.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 11:54:21 PM »

cheers mate

Longhurst

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 05:37:20 AM »

I used a 2 speed kit from Vic may be your contact and it fitted straight on. As for dollars I cheated and had an auto elec fit it so cannot remember. However he did fit it into the existing switch position and used the same switch knob.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 08:44:09 AM »

Al - it's yours if you want it, we can exchange at Easter time and discuss dollars then.

Regarding EK wiper motors - if you don't get the 2 short arms from the back of the EK motor, it's practically useless.  These arms must be used on most wiper motor conversions since most other motors operate wiper arms in parallel rather than opposed as in the EK.

Regards   Ken
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 09:22:53 AM »

Thanks for the assistance.

It would appear the reason that the Wipers where not working was due to a new fuel pump being added, and the old fuel pump still having the part of the wiper system on it.  

This has now been rectified, and the wipers work.

I'm sorry I did not respond to your previous post I just realised that you advised me that It was complete.  I'm assuming rightly or wrongly that the kit has all I need to change over the system.

However I guess I'm now too late.  Hope this novice syndrome wears off.

ASUS
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:27:42 AM by ASUS » Logged
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 11:59:09 AM »

Sorry Ken    I'm after the 2 speed motor or the kit you supply. If you still do them can I buy 2 of them off you and fix you up with the money at easter. Just let me know.   Cheers Al

See ya
Al
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 12:25:09 AM »

after reding this thread, I'll asume that Ken sells a bolt on kit ready to go? or moderfies the back of the wiper motor to acept the FC wiper arms, please explain. Huh
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 12:33:34 AM »

Although I havent used Ken's kit.

The wiper kits require standard EK wiper rotating spondolicon thingos attached to back.  Then you attach your FC arms to this.

HTH

Ed

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 12:34:58 AM by EH » Logged

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 01:37:53 AM »

A picture of the arms on the back of the EK wiper motor have been posted here before.  A bit of a search for "EK wiper" should turn it up.

The key difference between vacuum and electric wipers is this:
- vacuum motors oscillate, so they pull and push the drive-rods, which in turn pull and push the wiper arm through its arc on the screen.
- electric motors rotate, so that circular movement has to be converted to lateral (push/pull) - just like a crank and con-rods

The EK wiper arms once fitted together operate like a VW crank-shaft, converting the unidirectional rotation of the motor to the lateral movement required of the drive-rods.

Once you can get your head around that, it all makes sense why the parts of the wiper motor that are inside the cabin need to be different.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 01:55:56 AM »

Sorry ed but what the hell does spondolicon thingos mean Grin Grin did you just make that up. Grin
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 02:41:13 AM »

Hey yogie,

A spondolicon is also a "whatsit", "thingamajig" and "dooberwhacky"...

The term was first introduced to me while camping in the Louth racecourse "car park" one cold August evening while consuming ales around a campfire.

It was so cold it was decided a pot of hot tea was in order.  Those of you familiar with the "Trangia" range of camping cooking gear (basically a pot, pan and spirit burner which packs into iteslf like a Russian doll) also know there is a little clamp which is used to hold the pot or pan when it is warm.

After much discussion over who was to retrieve the pot of water from the hot embers, the next subject of how we were to retrieve the hot pot arose.

Calls of "pass the spondolicon!" were heard and in a  flash the pot holder was passed over.

When questioned "WTF is a spondolicon?" the reply was "it's the doober whacky, whatsit, thingamajig used to hold the pot".

...and in relation to the subject post, it refers to the rotating arms RET has accurately described.

Cheers

Ed
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:42:05 AM by EH » Logged

in the shed
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: