FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Head/Red 202  (Read 6476 times)
griffo

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:05 AM »

Hi ,
Can anyone tell me if its worthwhile putting a Blue Head on a Red 202 ? and if so whats involved ?

cheers griffo.
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »

the blue head has better flow through 12 ports, black efi has the best flow.
you will need the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold and car.
the blue motor carb is better than a 350 holley but they are getting hard to come by in good functional condition

Advantages are better flow. standard carb makes good power and the pollution equiptment doesnt have to be hooked up when its on a red block wich could give a power advantage over the blue motor.

disadvantages are modifications required.
2nd hand extractors may be hard to come by compatable with your car.
standard rockers are non adjustable
air pump holes may need to be blocked.
you may also need to use the blue motor head bolts and pushrods.
You will have to drill new holes in the top of your block and plug the old water holes in your block.

better value and less hassle may be to hunt around swap meets, ebay and wrecking yards for a hot red head.
usually a half decent one is recognised by ports divided by tube wich the head studs go through instead of the origional cast dividing the ports,

I have done a simular conversion but with a black efi head wich is the same conversion but a slightly better head. The black head doesnt have the pollution holes but a casting were they would be still exists in the top of the ports, it would be a good idea to carefully grind them flat with a die grinder.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:47:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply fccool59,

So If i use a Blue or Black head I will need to change the inlet manifold and extractors ?
Can i use a single strommie or do I need something else? ( I dont want to have efi )
Would you use different rockers ? what about the valves, replace them with hardened ones so to use ULP ??
Sorry for so many Huh?

griffo
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »

What kind of budjet are you on?
the inlet manifold for a blue motor takes a 2 barrel carb, this carb works pretty good if you find one in good condition, otherwise a webber is a common swap, I think they come of a falcon.
I might add that I am pretty sure a HQ 202 red motor puts out more power than the blue even though a blue head breathes better and has better ignition, this is becuase of all the pollution crap on it. you could remove it all but then it wouldnt be legal becuase yore pollution control has to be up to date with the block.
eg.  you will need the charcoal canister on a post 1976 block and if your block was made after 1986 you will even need a catyitic convertor
I think if you are on a low budjet a second hand hot red head might give more horsepower per dollar. I did the 12 port head conversion with my own engine and spent over $1500 on the head alone, if I sold it I might get $400, So if you are on a budjet a 2nd hand ported red head for around $200 would be good value and easy to fit.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »

I actually did the oppisite a fews years back, I fitted a red head on a black bottom motor, because I wanted to retain the red head headers and carbie set up, simple as.
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 07:14:43 AM »

Hi FC Cool

I am still undecided as to hunt up a Hot Red Head or
go for the Blue Head, etc.
Went to a couple of swap meets recently and havent had any luck finding either.
A local wrecker has a blue head availble so if I can find a set of extractors to fit then away I go .
But your right I dont want to spend all that much so I'll just have to hunt around.

griffo
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 07:32:36 AM »

you get stuff like this on ebay all the time too.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-6-CYLINDER-BIG-PORT-HEAD-DBL-VALVE-SPRINGS_W0QQitemZ4628452606QQcategoryZ32059QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 07:34:23 AM by fccool59 » Logged

griffo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 09:15:11 AM »

FC Cool ,
Thanks for the reply,
I dont seem to find some of this stuff on ebay , perhaps I'm not searching correctly or well enough so I will have to try a bit harder , on the link that you posted it noted that the head was stamped with the letter L, I assume that means compression ?

cheers  
Griffo.
Jeff

My first car was FC. My latest (40 years on) is FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:35:40 AM »

I want to something a little different.
149 motor (legal swap within 15% rule) but I have a blue head  (3.3 I think) and complete VK Calais injection system.
Question is what compression ratio do I end up with (too low?) and how much can I take off block and/or head to get it to reasonable value. I only want to run standard ULP.
Jeff
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 12:36:55 AM by Jeff » Logged
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 03:03:44 AM »

Best thing to do would be to speak to your local engine builder/head place. I'd say that doing this would require shaving the head a bit, as the motor would be gutless without atleast 8:5:1.

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: