FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 05:28:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lowering my FC Sedan  (Read 12746 times)
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:43:15 AM »

Hi All,

I would like to lower my Black FC Sedan (original front end and rims), but  I don't want to lower it too much, just enough to enhance/toughen-up it's appearance (stance) and upgrade it's cornering performance

I have seen some nicely lowered FCs and FEs but, I don't know what their setup would be.  If anyone has some examples with the specs, I'd be interested in seeing some pics or being pointed to threads with the cars pictured.

I'm quite new to working with springs and shocks so I have some initial questions that may get me up to speed:

1. What will determine the need for new shocks as well as spings?

2. Should I only buy new heavy-duty springs etc. or are 2nd hand ones okay?

3. Are lowering blocks suitable for FCs?

4. Are there any issues with tyre clearance? and if so, what do I need to consider to prevent that being an issue?

5. Are there any tyre wear or camber issues associated to lowering a FC?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get going but that's it for now.

Cheers,

Phil
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:01:56 AM »

You dont need new shorter shocks - unless theyre worn out. The existing shocker length is OK
New lowered springs are better, cutting second hand ones is not really recommended.
Lowering blocks are fine for the FC
Should be no tyre issues with stock set up
Geometry will be OK after a new alignment.

Ken
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »

Theres a guy on ebay who flogs lowering blocks for FC's in 1.5" and 2".  They do the job as I run the 1.5".  I think they were $65 and ali.
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »

Here is an ebay link to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOWERING-BLOCKS-HOLDEN-FJ-FE-FC-FB-EK-EJ-EH-HD_W0QQitemZ4631066062QQcategoryZ50138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My cars not registered yet, but I am not expecting any problems.
Duds

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 07:58:45 AM »

so how did it go? the 1 1/2" or the 2" the way to go?Huh? Thinking of doing my ute........
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:41:02 AM »

Mate I dropped mine 2" all round and she sits pretty tough
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1148551123;start=60

Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »

We lowered th FCwagon with 3" lower springs front and gas shocks and had th rear leafs reset 3"s and had th spring eyes reversed and had th hangers flipped it sits low and look's FAT. Th EK Kustom has dropped stubs,resert springs and th rear has reversed eyes,flipped hangers and is reset 5.5inches not bad for th daily driver tho th rear can be lifted.
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:56:23 AM »

Thanks everyone,

Sorry I havn't responded until now.

I still havn't lowered her yet as general maintenance and mechanical improvements have taken priority.  When I get back to Oz I'll lower her.

NES, I've been watching your build and firstly congrats, it's looking awesome!  I like the stance you have achieved.  What type/size of springs did you use on the front?  I guess 2" blocks for the rear? Any rubbing issues?

Kat58, I'd be keen to see a pic or two of the wagon.  I had a look on the forum but couldn't find one.

Cheers,

Phil
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »

Th EK Kustom has dropped stubs,resert springs and th rear has reversed eyes,flipped hangers and is reset 5.5inches not bad for th daily driver tho th rear can be lifted.

that's pretty looowwww.... surely you'r'e riding on the bumpstops and scraping potholes?

pics!

in the shed
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »

Hi All,

Well it's been a while but now it's all happening.  Grin

I'm going to lower my stock FC Special Sedan, however, I'm not really sure how much to lower it (front and back) to get the stance I'm after.

As I'm sure I'm not the only person who's been in this situation, I thought it might be handy to get a single post with a consolidation of the cars we've lowered, how much they are lowered and what method was used.
Note: This could be useful for others in the future too Smiley.

At the moment I'm considering 1/12 inches all round but I don't really know what stance that will produce as I don't know how much my existing springs have sagged..... Undecided

For those of you who've already gone down this track and already lowered your car (any height), would you mind posting a pic of your car and tell us your lowering details?

Once I'm done I'll post a before and after picture.

Cheers,

Phil
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »

Phil,

You realise this is the start of an incurable addiction to modification...

picture the stance you are after, measure the height of the guard at stock level then calculate how many inches lower you would like it.

for instance if you want the guard to sit 4 inches lower than it's current position.

take out your spring cut around 3 inches off your free spring length. (measuring around the coils to make sure you cut the same amount off each side.

re-fit, drive round the driveway/yard to let them seat properly then measure your guard height to see if you got it right.

do this until your desired ride height is achieved.

(you can then take your springs back out and get a new set made to those specs if desired)

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »

Hi Phil

the best way to determine the ride height your after is to park it on flat ground and large enough for you to stand back and have a look afar.

2nd step measure your original height.

3rd step invite 4 large friends and a couple of bags of cement.

4th step arrange inside the car the ratio off cement and friend's to achieve your desired ride hight.

5th step measure the new hight then you can proceed in sourcing lowering blocks and springs.

lowering your car will only look as good as the beholder sees it. Don't forget that it will be lower again if you put the same friend's in it and could cause bottoming out. You will also need a new wheel alignment.
Bob Harris could help with that.

If you want it to handle better lowering only helps a little you should increase the size of your front sway bar and put a back swaybar on if you don't put the back one on it will float in the back when you corner, put Koni adjustables on each corner to stiffen it up more if you wish.

hope I helped

Julius
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »

2'' lower all around is good and won't cause complications it's a safe height and looks  good  Grin Grin my two bobs worth... but if the car sits presently nose up maybe  2" front and 1 1/2'' lower in the rear  may even it up  .....FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »

Have to agree with FC427 on this one and say 2'', I'd say that would generally be accepted as the norm.
                                     Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »

Thanks for all that.

Any chance of someone posting a pic of a sedan lowered 2 inches?

I'd like to customise the height using your method Julius but time and $ are limited at the moment so a simple lowering process is the best option I think.

Cheers,

Phil
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 08:27:54 AM »

Philby, hav a look at NES's build thread,I have bumped it up for you, it has some good photos of his car lowered 2" all round. As he said it does look tough.

Dean.
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »

Thanks Dean,

Beautiful car!!!! Hope you get more time in it.

Cheers,

Phil
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 11:38:01 PM »

Thanks Phil but that one isn't mine, unless NES is feeling generous. Grin

Dean.
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »

lol......

And I though I was still sharp after a couple of beers.

Anyway... you deserve a big congrats on your car, great to see it get back to you.

Cheers,

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: