FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:41:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rocker Gear Connector Shaft Direction?  (Read 8705 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2002, 12:00:19 PM »

Currently in final stages of completing a rebuild of a trusty "grey". I am after the direction /positioning of the rocker gear connector. Eventhough I can not find reference in the original manual, a gregory's manual states that the metered hole should be directed to the rear of the engine. What does it mean by the metered hole? On the connector there is a large hole and a small hole. I am assuming the small hole is the metered hole. Any suggestions? Assuming this is the case I assume by having the larger hole facing forward more oil is directed in this direction to overcome gravity due to the slight incline of the engine, while gravity provides oil to the rear of the rocker gear. Can anyone out there confirm these assumptions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Rod
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 09:23:36 PM »

Ya pretty much have hit the nail on the head. Wink
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 11:27:35 PM »

Hi Rod
The small hole does go the rear of the engine, big hole up front.
Notice the little bleed hole in the side of that connector block? Screw a small self tapper into that hole to block it off. It helps to force more oil thru the rocker shaft for a bit more lubrication.
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 07:02:17 AM »

Many thanks fella's for your quick reply. However, I am not to sure if I am game to block up the bleed hole in order to gain more lubrication. I have just spent considerable time and money doing up the grey, and by blocking up the hole I don't want to put strain on something else. Has anyone else blocked up the bleed hole and if so what do you think? Have you had any problems by doing it? The guru's RET and Ken what do you think by all this?Huh

Many thanks once again in anticipation.

Rod
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 05:34:13 AM »

Rod,

I'm replying here because you asked, but by no means am I a guru on this topic!  I flicked the grey motor out of my car years ago Cheesy

Tony (IhadaV8 ) has written some pretty serious stuff about modifying the oil galleries in the grey motor - do a search for a thread in the modifications board about this.  He certainly sounds like he knows what he's doing!  Having said that, of course, it's your motor, so you should only do with it what you're comfortable with.  After all, they are bloody expensive to rebuild!

That's really all the help I can be, I'm afraid.  Hopefully others (like Ken, who actually is an engineer Smiley ) can offer more.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 09:45:17 AM »

I'm working on it  Wink
I'm trying to contact Chips who is the absolute bees knees on grey motor engine rebuilding.
He was a service technician with GMH for years and he has rebuilt more grey motors than I've had hot dinners.
If Chips says to do it - do it.
If he says dont then dont.

I'll get back when I get an answer.

Ken
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 10:59:10 AM »

Hi Guys
This is a modification from way back.
With the hole unblocked, some of the oil to the rocker shaft is bled off thru the side of that union ,drops onto the head ,then goes back to the sump. When you plug that hole, the  oil that is normally bled off, is pumped into the rocker shaft, then gets pumped out the bleed holes in the bottom of the rocker arm shaft that supplies the oil to the rocker arm bushes, then it returns to the sump. If your using dual valve springs and a big cam, the lower half of the rocker arm bushes  are subject to a lot of wearing, so having extra oil flowing thru the bush is beneficial. It has no bad effects on the motor, only good ones.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 09:14:57 AM »

Here is Chip's response.

If you have new bushes in the rocker arms - Dont block the hole, the benefit of blocking the hole up is to force a little more oil through worn bearings to keep the rockers at number 1 and 6 pistons lubricated.

These are the words of the grey motor god

Anecdote: Chips' and about 5 other cars were in convoy to the last SA nats.  Chips did a timing gear around about Coonalpyn (read - the middle of nowhere)  We offerd to stay and help, but Chips just sent us on our way and working on the side of the road, he had the old gear off and a new one fitted and was only an hour behind us. Shocked

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 10:10:52 PM »

Many Thanks Tony and Ken. I now feel a lot happier doing the modification today. I suppose my only hesitation was that the hole was put there for a reason. Everything that has been said is quite clear. The beauty of this response is that no one has recommended not to do it.

Once again fella's many thanks. Its amazing what I have learnt from this site from experts. Keep up the good work.

Rod Kiss Kiss
Roybeth

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »

Many Thanks Tony and Ken. I now feel a lot happier doing the modification today. I suppose my only hesitation was that the hole was put there for a reason. Everything that has been said is quite clear. The beauty of this response is that no one has recommended not to do it.
Once again fella's many thanks. Its amazing what I have learnt from this site from experts. Keep up the good work.

Rod Kiss Kiss

Looking at my rocker union to put it back in, noticed one of the "spacers" is broken - are these what chip refers to as bushes? can I buy these anywhere - are they anything specific or can I just get any ol hard plastic washer/spacer that will fit.

My union piece already had a screw in the hole - I did note on a spare grey down the back did not have this hole blocked off - the below explains this.

TIA
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »

Any fibre or nylon washer of the right size will do the job.  Even an oil-resistant high-temperature O-ring of the right diameter will do the job.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 08:38:29 AM »

Helen / Rod ..A spacer washer between the brass union and rocker shaft halves should be a accurate fit ,not just any old washer that looks like it may do the job ,especially the thickness ,reason being ,there is generally no wear between those fixed faces ,but too thin it will leak ,too thick your pedestal bolts wont line up ,and if you force a thick one in it will put undue pressure on the rocker against the pedestal ,your brass union will self position as the oil feed tube comes up thru head on push rod side of engine ,so the flared seat faces that direction and drain hole therefore faces downward ,I am aware of engines where that drain hole has been soldered up and a very small hole drilled in that place ,can only assume someone didn't want to block it off completely ...cheers Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »

Helen / Rod ..A spacer washer between the brass union and rocker shaft halves should be a accurate fit ,not just any old washer that looks like it may do the job ,especially the thickness ,reason being ,there is generally no wear between those fixed faces ,but too thin it will leak ,too thick your pedestal bolts wont line up ,and if you force a thick one in it will put undue pressure on the rocker against the pedestal ,your brass union will self position as the oil feed tube comes up thru head on push rod side of engine ,so the flared seat faces that direction and drain hole therefore faces downward ,I am aware of engines where that drain hole has been soldered up and a very small hole drilled in that place ,can only assume someone didn't want to block it off completely ...cheers Vern .

Hi Vern, thanks for that - this was my concern in that it appeared to be more like a spacer than a "washer" if that makes sense. I do still the one on the other side (and pieced of the broken one) so I can get the size right. Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: