FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 17, 2024, 07:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ??camper?? bench seat  (Read 7370 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: February 15, 2006, 02:53:16 AM »

Dunno if my mate is pulling my leg but he recons you can get a ?camper? bench seat. One that slides forward and reclines all the way back to meet the back seat to make the interior look like a big bed.
Does any one have photos, knows of one or how to get one or even the modifications needed to build one?

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:24:43 AM »

I don't think rolling your own is feasible, but they were certainly a popular enough modification 'back in the day'.  My Dad's FC has a camping seat in it, there's a lever that looks a bit like an FJ interior door handle on the driver's side at the pivot-point, that lets the whole top of the seat drop.  So yes, you slide the seat forward all the way on the runners (taking car not to give yourself a DIY vasectomy on the steering wheel Lips sealed ) then the seat back meets the rear seat to provide you with an extremely uncomfortable bed.

They've been discussed before, do a search for "camp" or "camping body" and see what turns up.  An original advertisement for them is kicking around somewhere too.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:26:53 AM »

This would be the thread.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:34:34 AM »

do a search for "camp" and see what turns up.

cheers
RET

I could only find this... Shocked

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:54:07 AM »

GIVEN THE OPTION I THINK I'D SLEEP IN THE BOOT Grin

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »

its certainly a good talking point. especially on Valentines day.
I didn't mean Carlotta

andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 02:22:41 AM »

There`s a seat out on the back patio , that has a knob in the middle at the front.  If you pull it the whole backrest lays back.  I think they came out in some fb-eks.
andy
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 02:44:32 AM »

There`s a seat out on the back patio , that has a knob in the middle at the front.  If you pull it the whole backrest lays back.  I think they came out in some fb-eks.
andy

Where exactly is the middle?  If you are talking about the point where the back of the seat meets the bench (down where your right hand can reach if you are sitting on it)  then that is the same as those aftermarket ones available.  I have one and it is great at the drives Grin  If your middle is somewhere else then you have a non standard type modification and it would be interesting to see.  

It is worth noting that as far as I can tell on my seat, it is the original seat that has been modified and not a different seat.  The side panel has been cut to allow the seat to fold and the rough edge of the cut has been covered with a rubber edge (from memory).

Mike
Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:16:08 AM »

There is one for sale on ebay.  Not much time left though, for an FB/EK I think, but could be recovered etc in FE/FC livery.  Cheers, Mike.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EK-HOLDEN-ERA-LAYBACK-BENCH-SEAT_W0QQitemZ8043292091QQcategoryZ39382QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

Burnsy
The knob is in the middle at the front, between the driver and passenger. If you pull it forward,you fall backward. heh heh ,good trick for the unsuspecting.
andy
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »

You have something different to the norm there.  Might be something put together by some ingenious old timer who could not see the value in paying for such a luxury.

Post some pics up if you can, of the knob, mechanism and the side where it pivots.

cheers,
Mike

Mike
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 06:24:41 AM »

No, Andy's is not a one-off.  My brother had an FE Business sedan back in the early 60s and his lay-back seat had the knob in the middle, as described by Andy.

It might be an uncomfortable bed, but it did come in handy from time to time for a couple of young single lads.    Wink  Wink

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 11:26:33 AM »

A mate of mine has one with the winder ojn the drivers side, hope the pic works...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: