FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:50:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 202 Operating Temp  (Read 8461 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: February 12, 2006, 05:29:54 AM »

Can anyone tell what the normal operating temp is for a 202? Fahrenheit if possible please.

Cheers

craiga
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 06:08:33 AM »

Glenn,

Thermostat rating is 'normal' operating temperature.

The cooling system operates in a closed loop, controlled by temperature feedback from the coolant to the thermostat. If the temperature gauge shows anything much different to the thermostat rating then cooling efficiency needs to be looked at. You should remember though that most temperature senders are placed at the rear of the head on a Holden 6, the hottest part of the cooling system, so you might see a slightly higher temp than that of the thermostat.

You can get different temperature thermostats but I reckon a 72 Deg C (160 Deg F) unit is best.

Cheers,

Craig.

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 10:30:42 AM »

Stinky,
I believe the "stock" thermo rating is 180 deg f, or 82 deg C.

I regards to what Craig mentioned concerning the location of the temp probe - I have tried to ask as many people as possible the better location (thermo housing or rear of head).

A lot of people tend to believe the rear of the head would be warmer, yet there is also a theory that the cooling water runs from the rear of the head to the front where it sits on the thermo till opening - in this case this is the final point for the water before it is cooled.  Considering the water has had more time to absorb more heat from the block and head than it would at the rear probe location - it should be hotter?

Craig - have you found any differences in economy or power delivery running different temp rated thermos?

Dave
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:49:31 AM »

Thanks guys.
Just wondering now if the temp guage isn't busted?
The temp seems to settle around 210 F, I was getting worried because it was going to 250F and not stopping, so I tested the thermostat in a cup of boiling water and it was opening OK.
It must have been an air pocket where the temp sender is as it went to over 250F really quickly, then I let run that little bit longer (been switching it iff in panic) and it started back down again to 210F.
The motor has the metal fan and a thermo, but the thermo hasn't been cutting in at it's middle setting. The problem there is that the sender for the thermo is in the top radiator hose.
Ahhh, the joys of breaking in a new car  Roll Eyes

Off to check the thermo switch settings.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:49:51 AM by stinky » Logged

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:53:12 PM »

Stinky,

Just to make sure - when you filled your new radiator did you turn the heater on and let the engine run with the radiator cap off until the thermo opened then top up the remainder of the cooling capacity?  Otherwise you have a large air block.

I made this mistake the first time I ever installed a new radiator.

Dave
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 12:17:24 AM »

What heater?  Grin
Yep, I left the cap off and got the motor up to temp then topped up again.
When it's road ready, I will be able to test it properly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: