FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:12:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor external oil filter element  (Read 13715 times)
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:39:37 AM »

This question maybe bringing up an old post but I'm looking for a replacement cartridge for grey motor Nasco external oil filter.GMH part number was 7406603 and I believe the old RYCO number was R 2080 P.  RYCO website doesn't list them so probably don't make them now and sure as shit Holden no longer supply as well.Can't find a listing on Rare Spares for them.Looked on Old Holden website and a bloke from Unzud (New Zealand) reckons an old Massey Ferguson Tractor element will fit.Another one reckons a toilet roll will work Huh but I dunno 'bout that one Wink
I realise you just can't go down to the local Woolworths/Safeway anymore and buy one but was hoping someone knows if they are obtainable anywhere or a filter element from another car/tractor etc may fit.
I'll even fit a roll of poo paper if I thought it would work!
Any help appreciated,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »

Hi Terry
I have the info in my room you can still get them. I got my last two through REPCO, however you need to take the information with you as the new RYCO books do not list them.
I went to REPCO here in Perth minus info and hence came home empty handed.

I will get the info tonight and put it on for you.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »

Toilet paper roll is a bad idea unless you like to have your motor oil jourals blocked up will little oily paper lumps.  There were cartridge filters designed back in the day that used toilet rolls but Ryco grey motor filters where not one of them.

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:54:33 AM »

they are available new, i will et you the details in a few minutes....just gotta find em

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 10:30:51 AM »

still made by ryco, R4 and R4P

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 12:39:43 PM »

Thanks Fellas for the replies.

Jim, if you could get me the REPCO part number that would be good as there is a REPCO store in the next town.

Burnsy, I wasn't planning on using plain old 2 ply no name bum wipe paper,I was going to go top shelf 6 ply Kleenex never scratch yer bum again stuff.You know, two wipes and its done Grin
Seriously though I wasn't going to contemplate fitting a toilet roll as a filter as like you said I'd end up with all sorts of trouble there even if the oil could find its way through the roll anyway.Interesting to find toilet rolls being used as bona fide filter elements in some filter assemblies way back then as you said.

Torque,forever helpfull,thanks for posting the RYCO numbers up.I'll check on their site and/or give them a ring tommorrow.

Cheers all,

Terry.

Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 12:54:35 PM »

Hi Terry
I've got a Ryco cannister & bought a R4P - it was the correct height but the diameter was too large, eventually found a Ryco R3P at Repco & that fitted perfectly - may pay to take your cannister with you just to be on the safe side.
As far as I'm aware there is no Repco part number - its listed under Ryco R3P.
Terry is your cannister a Ryco? - because Fram also made a remote oil filter & the R4P maybe Ryco equivalent - maybe?
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 01:07:28 PM »

Thanks Blue Ute.The filter assembly is still in the mail coming to me.It was advertised as a Nasco one but can't really tell by the photo which one it is (Fram,Ryco or Nasco) so I'll have to refresh this post when I get it and let you know which one it is.Thanks for the info and part numbers, I'll keep them in mind when I go hunting for the element to suit.

Terry.

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 11:59:11 PM »

I'm probably answering my own question here now.
Emailed RYCO last night and got a reply this morning.They still do supply the elements in RYCO part numbers R3P,R4P and R 2080 P and I presume the different numbers are to fit the Fram,Ryco and Nasco oil filter assemblies.Rang local Repco and was quoted $33 for R3P, $40 for R4P and $31 for R 2080 P.
Ryco also said they were available at "Coventrys" and "Partsnation" (must be interstate parts suppliers) as well as Repco.
Thanks for the help fellas,

Terry.

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 02:18:57 AM »

Hi Terry,
I just bought a replacement cartridge for my AC oil filter from the local parts guy came in in 2 days and cost $21, it was a Ryco.
Cheers,
Graham
King

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 02:49:40 AM »

Terry,

I have a question for you now. I have a couple of external bypass oil filters in the shed and an element to suite (cost me about $35 if I recall correctly) but I'm having trouble finding the correct fittings to connect one up. I'd like to run a "T" or "Y" fitting out of the block so I can connect the oil pressure unit back up as well. I've dealt with some major hydraulic/high-pressure fluid parts companies but the fittings they supply are not quite suitable. The two outlets on the fitting are the same size as as the outlet from the block. This is obviously fine for the pressure indicator unit and I'm able to use a bush fitting to step down the other outlet for the oil line to the filter but due to the overall size of the fitting it's too large to screw into the block without the branch of the "T"  clashing with the part of the block that houses the dip-stick. Do you, or anyone else who may be reading this, have an idea where I may get a suitable fitting?

I've recovered 1 FX, 2 FC and 1 EK engine from the scrub near hear but sadly none have had an oil filter fitted that I could salvage fittings from

Hayden.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 11:05:09 AM »

Hayden, this is the part you need to look for, there is another post about this somewhere.  It was actually refered to as a restrictor of sorts, due to the diametre hole in it.  

I sold a spare a while back but only have one more and would like to keep it, I am sure someone else will have one lying around.

Cheers,
Burnsy

Mike
King

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 12:37:59 PM »

Thanks Burnsy.

I'll keep an eye out for one.

Hayden
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »

Hi Terry
I will try and get to Repco Tomorrow and check out the filters. There are 2 4sale on ebay at present and the look to be the same as I have purchased previously. They are RYCO R2080P.

However If i was you i would wait untill your cannister arrives before going out and buying one.

cheers jim

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »

Hi Terry
Sorry for the lengthy delay, I have had a little trouble tracking some down.

Auto One: Has non in stock anywhere in the country.

Repco : Has 3 in stock 1 in Midlands (WA), 1 in Brissy and another in NSW.

I am thinking I might become a supplier of these treasured and some what expensive items.

When ordering quote: RYCO R20808P and expect to pay between $18 to $24 dollars.

The last two I purchased were from the Ipswich store and they cost me approx $10 each. Inflation is a bitch.

Cheers Jim

PS, The one from Midlands is already on its way to me.

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 09:12:42 AM »

Terry
I just checked the RYCO website they do list 3 types of filter to external grey motor oil filters I have an AC external filter and found it listed under AC K5 1959 -1962.

I have their toll free number (1800 804 541) and will be giving them a call tomorrow. By the way they are in Vic so no point me trying to ring after lunch.

Cheers Jim

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »

Thanks Jim for the info.I an expecting the filter setup to arrive in the mail any day now.The bloke I bought it from has thrown in a new element he had with it but I'll still need to get a spare one so I'll chase one up.

Terry.

Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 10:55:52 AM »

If it is any help, here is a link to an old post about the same oil filter element topic.

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=resto;action=display;num=1077428444;start=3

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 05:43:01 AM »

Thanks Shayne, I knew the topic would probably been covered elsewhere on the forum.Thanks for the link,much appreciated,

Terry.

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 05:19:31 AM »

Got my oil filter setup yesterday.Its a Nasco (AC) and takes the Ryco R 2080 P element.Have 2 more spare elements on order from Repco N.S.W coming tommorrow for $22 each.

Emailed Ryco last night regarding availability and continued manufacture and supply of filter elements for the Nasco,Fram and Ryco filter assemblies and this was part of the response.

"Ryco supply element assemblies R3P,R4P and R 2080 P.
There are no signs that indicate we are going to discontinue this product.We do not carry a large amount of them although we do still order them from our supplier.These filters will still be available for some time yet"

Michelle Cross
Ryco"

Interesting to note Ryco have a supplier for these elements and don't make them themselves,wonder who?

Next answer is for Hayden from a while back on this thread.
The adapter/restrictor for my filter setup is the same as the one in the pic of Burnsy's.If its any help for you that restrictor hole you can see in the pic is only 1 m.m diameter by my numbers drill(what's 1 m.m in Imperial?.... 1/32 inch??).

I'm sure if you can't get the original adapter/restrictor then a hydraulic shop should be able to help make up something similar that works.
I live in an area with lots of mines and lots of hydraulic shops so if you want I'll have a visit and see if a piece can be made up to suit.

Let me know via a P.M if your interested.

Terry.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: