FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:03:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 161 Motor  (Read 12620 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: December 27, 2005, 03:58:56 AM »

Two questions,

1. The 161 red in the FE ute has the engine number 161 N 2922 S, can anyone tell me what this motor came from? (for interest's sake)

2. The car ran out of fuel the other week and I have not been able to get it running properly since. The car may start then seems to run out of petrol and is hard to start again, after some cranking the motor usually fires then dies soon after.
I suspect some junk came up the line from the bottom on the tank, but there is an inline fuel filter. Could there be junk in the filter causing this or is it most likely the carby?
Is there an easy way to clean out the carby? as a mechanic I am a good computer tech Smiley

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 04:13:08 AM »

Glenn.
Not sure what the motor is from, but it sounds like you may have a build up of crap BEHIND the fuel filter. It happened to me in the Green & Cream wagon. Would start, run & drive, but when I gave it a bit of the boot, it would lean out, then stall. Cleaned everything from carby, the points, new filter, then rebuilt fuel pump & then the carby Angry Still did it. It was only when I pulled the fuel pump off again, a little pebble fell out from the fuel line (That little flexy bit). It had gotten stuck behind the filter. Buggered if I know how it got there Huh

Sounds similar to your problem.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:52:30 AM »

Hmmmm......can't seem to find any reference to 161 N prefix and the "S" at the end is unusual.Can find the following though:-
HR 161 High Compression:-  161 R...........
"      "   Low   "  "    "    "   :-  161 W..........

HK/HT/HG High Compression :-   161 H..........
 "   "    "   Low  Compression :-   161 L..........

LC Torana High Compression :-   2600 H.......
"      "        Low  Compression :-   2600 L.......
"     "    "161 S"                       :-   2600 S.......

My master parts catalogue goes from FX to HD so no reference to 161 there.Maybe someone has a master parts catalogue HR to HG or LC Torana???.
Replacement GMH block???
Ex Stolen/Recovered and/or restamped engine???
Export engine???

Sorry I'm no help but I'd also be interested to find what it was originally fitted in as well if there is someone out there who knows.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 07:17:47 AM »

is it not the GTR LC code.161 with two barrel stromberg.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 10:53:31 AM »

Nicko, that would be perfect if it was because there is an LC GTR shell I have out the back with no motor or 'box. Unfortunately my Spotlight book doesn't really help with codes apart from 161S being an available option.

Thanks RobJ, I might start looking through the lines before I start with the carby.

Thanks Terry, I'll post the answer if I ever get it.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 11:39:35 AM »

stinky, we had this problem on our ute. we simply undone the line at the filter, and undo it before the tank, and put a air gun on it, you will hear the crap come out

Grin

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 12:17:52 PM »

gee's i wish you were not so far away as my youngest Daughter has been nagging me for ages to find her an LC GTR shell so she can learn how to do up a motor and all other aspects herself, found a 4 door but she siad no way two door or forget it,even lists an LJ as (only if its a good one dad.) i tried to tell her that an LJ was better in the front end rack but no i have to find an LC 2 door.so anyone reading this post who lives in Northern NSW or QLD and has an LC 2 door for sale give me a hoy.
anyway sorry for Hi Jacking the Post  Stinky. but im fairly certain its an LC 161 GTR

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 02:13:32 AM »

This is all the crud that was in the line, disconnected the line at the tank and put the freshly cleaned 2 litre bottle on. Blew through with compressed air from the back of the filter. Lots o' chunks and it would appear to be water (2 layers in the bottle) in the line. Haven't road tested yet, but it ran for a few minutes without problem.

I guess I will taking the tank out soon for a cleanout  Roll Eyes

spanner

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 02:24:37 AM »

Nicko,I have a rolling 2 door lc in the shed. Will send you an email with my phone number.
Cheers Graham
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:57:21 AM »

Glenn
I consulted a workmate today re your engine number question.He is in the NSW LC/LJ Torana Club and eats,sleeps and SH#TS Toranas.He said its definately not a LC GTR block as these all had the 2600 S engine prefix and not a regular LC 161 block as these also had 2600 H and 2600 L as the prefix.He said it may be a GMH replacement GTR block but was only about 20% sure on this one.Said he would check tonight in his records to see if he can get some info.He has photocopies of original GMH Torana microfiches showing nearly all details of Torana production including what bodies had what engine numbers,original colours and even which dealership received what car and when.Very interesting reading there.
Hopefully I may have an answer for you soon.

Terry.

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 07:20:48 AM »

Glenn. Its definately not an LC Torana engine of any standard production run including GTR according to my Torana Guru workmate.May be a replacement block as these had unusual numbers.I had a grey block years ago (early 80's) that had a strange number and after spending quite a deal of time at the local Holden spare parts looking up the books I found that it was a New replacement block for FB/EK and true to form when I was young and stupid I gave it away for a carton of beer Cry Cry Cry
Stolen and recovered engines also were restamped in some states with a new number (legally) for reregistration so maybe its one of them.I've seen a grey with an engine number having "VP" on the end as it was stolen/recovered and restamped by Victoria Police in the past.I've seen a red motor on Ebay with a Holden Gemini engine number(didn't bid on that one).
Maybe an export engine that found its way back onto an Australian production run???.

Still a mystery.........

Terry.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 08:12:56 AM »

Thanks for your efforts Terry, I might have to go to "another" board and see what other people might know.

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »

Hi Guys.
Terry, you are spot on with the replacement engine theory (Bear with the spelling mistakes guys, it is new years & I am pissed). Any block that was replaaced in that era, was stamped different. The Grey motor cars that were used by the Coppers, haad their motors rebuilt & stamped by the Police. My FB 215 has a T#####P block number (In Vic, they had V####P blocks. This means the car, once the service period was over, had the motor rebuilt, then stamped thus.

Anyway, this doesn't help you at all, does it Stinky?

If you can, contact Dr. Terry. he knows all the number prefixes & what they stand for. I tried looking it up, but the "View members previous Post" button isn't there anymore.
Ace may also be able to help.

Anyway all, have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!.
Man, I am turped!

Rob J

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 07:05:40 AM »

I'll have a guess and say it's a Holden industrial engine Smiley
ACE  Cool
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 09:33:01 AM »

Here's some info I got from the Fastlane forum, makes sense, but the search continues. Wouldn't that be cool a "Nasco" block, that would fetcha a pretty penny on ebay  Tongue

161N would be a 161 nasco replacement engine from the HR to HG era. This could have been a short or long motor, but the norm was to buy a short motor and use your head on it.

As there are three versions of the 161 long motor, low compression, high compression and S and two versions of short motor, low/high compression or S then the S at the end probably indicates that it is an LC GTR replacement block.

cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 07:15:56 AM »

I have just discovered the engine in my vanette is V653891P. Rob J, can you explain again what this means please?

Thanks

Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 07:24:05 AM »

cajerridoc,
               that engine number is very very close to the one that was in our fb, the engine number was v653811p

im not 100% sure, but when we owned the car we noticed the strange engine number and asked around a bit, and was told exactly what rob said :

the car was used in the force, then when retired, was rebuilt and sold off, makes sense when you think about it Embarrassed

quite interesting when you think about it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:25:59 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 11:52:50 AM »

I understand Police numbers are allocated to motors that require engine number restamping, whatever the reason.

Therefore engine number V653891P is:

V for Victoria
65 for 1965
3891 being the sequential number in that year
P for Police.

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »

Hi Guys.
What Eddie says is spot on! I had forgotten I posted that reply........New Years Eve & all! Roll Eyes

It doesn't always mean it was a Police vehicle, it can also mean it was re-stamped after being stolen & having the block numbers removed or other similar scenarios.

Obviously, Tassie had T######P, Vic had V######P, but I am yet to see what the other states & territoriesd had. I have a VIC block & a TAS block.

Rob J

Royal
qld-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 08:31:52 PM »

Hi guys
 Rob   N.S.W did this also for the same reasons as you state. I worked in used car yards around Sydney for 30 odd years ( yes I'm that old ) and over that time I saw quite a few of these and some very strange and not so legal ones as well. I can remember buying a f#^$L@n  one day that just didn't look right so contacted the boys in blue and they did an acid test and sure enough Stolen so we stopped payment on the cheque and got them to come back in for a new cheque and had the boys waiting in the back room, "GOTCHA" , when we checked the car they were driving it had 3 sets of number plates on top of each other so it was obviously something the did for a living, I felt real good that day.
                         Cheers   Roy

Just  "HOLDEN " on
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: