FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 04:38:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor-Rebuild no.2  (Read 10909 times)
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:29:55 AM »

hi guys

today we dropped off our block/crank and everything else to the motor joiint. on the pistons prior to dissasembly, it had STD on it, but when we got the block to the engine builders he measure it up and it was +60thou. he measured everythign up and tomorrow will be doing a sonic test to check the thickness of the bores. he said if the thickness of the bores lets him, he will be fitting larger pistons again, which will bring to total oversize to +100thou. what do you guys think about that?  

below is the following things that will be done

*anything that can be balanced, will be
*crank reground
*motor bored/honed to +100thou
*original oil pump modified for high pressure
*oil galleries opened up
*cam will be 40/80
*motor will be running tripple stombergs
*custom made extractors, copied off of headers but made in stainless
*head work is yet to be decided, as we have a good mate who is doing it. just a question there though, what size valves where fitted to yella terra heads on red 6's? would that valve fit into a grey motor head>? we know that the head will be fully ported out and fully shaved, but its mainly valves that we are asking around about

regards
Darcy & Ken

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »

Darcy, it is likely that the pistons are 138 standard pistons and that is why the bore is 60thou over on the 132 standard and this is why the pistons still have std stamped on them.  If this is the case you will be looking at 138 standnard pistons (3.062 inch) plus 40 thou for your block when it is done.

I am pretty sure yellow terra valves are oversize compared to standard 202 (can't remember what size these are off hand) and would be too big for the grey head.  It is my undersatnding from talking to a couple of head guys that standard 202 valves are the biggest you can fit in a grey chamber, even then some of them seemed to think it would be a squeeze - by all accounts it can be done though.

Cheers,
mike

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 10:11:23 AM »

hi burnsy

i know what you mean, but i doubt it. joe the guy who will be doing the motor measured it all up compared to his specs and said that it is 60thou over, and he knew that it was a ek motor (138), he then said that he was going to take it out a further 40thou

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 10:30:46 AM »

Darcy, find out what the current actual bore size is, that is the only way of clearing it up.  

An additional 40 thou would give you a total of 100 thou on a 138 EK  motor, I would be interested to know where he is gettiing pistons from because I don't know who makes a 100 thou piston.  JP make a 120 thou piston but not a 100thou!

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 10:58:52 AM »

burnsy, no prob there!!. need to give him a ring tomorrow anyway, and see how he went with the sonic testing! and also so he can fax through the quote....

he was very keen on 100thou, he even said he could take the total oversize to +120thou, but he said he would not recomend it, as he thinks +100thou would be coming close enough to the water jackets as it is :-/

will keep ya posted
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 11:02:07 AM by torquefc » Logged

Tumbles
wa-club

ute's kick ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 11:50:27 AM »

Sounds like it has a 3 1/8 " bore or 3.125", so a standard bore for a 138 (ek) is 3.062", with a 3.125" over bore gives you 0.063" so in that matter the machanic was right what's .003" between mates Wink
the next piston sizes that I know about are 3 3/16" or 3.1875 and the biggest 3 1/4 or 3.250".  Burnsy and I had a thread going about all this but I don't know how to link it.  By the way if you break into the water jacket there sleeves about.
Just out of curiosity, what are you doing to the pump and how much pressure will it make?
40/80 cam, my book is saying that your power range will be between 4000 to 6000 rpm! Hope you like changing clutches Grin  Have fun.
Tumbles

SUPREME RULER AND DICTATOR-FOR-LIFE
It all starts with a second term in power!!
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:26:35 AM »

Hello Everybody,
                           today we finally got the motor back from the shop. things look pretty good, and everything is ready to go except the head (which will be done at a mates shop).

below is what has been done.

LABOUR
sonic test bores
bore and hone bores
hot tank block and parts
remove/fit cam bearings
re surface block
crack test crank
grind crank
assemble and align pistons
grind cam 76A (40/80)
balance complete engine
maching and lighten flywheel
reco rocker assembly
reco+modify oil pump

PARTS SUPPLIED
pistons and rings
con rod bearings
main bearings
con rod bearings
cam bearings
gasket set
welch plug set
alloy timing gears
rocker arm bushes
water pump

and a total of $2334.20  :-/

anyway, ill post up a couple of pics, prior to assembly, and post assembly.

regards
Torque  Cool

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 02:44:05 AM »
+1

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 03:54:26 AM »

Bit of work ahead of you Darcey !

Wish I could give you a hand.  It's looking good, I hope it all goes together nicely for you.

Keep the updates coming

Mark
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 09:13:33 AM »

Looks like you must have one of those twin cam motors there Darcy Wink

Is it together yet?

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 09:21:53 AM »

hehehe the other cam is a spare that we had re ground Smiley.  the bottom end is together  but need to get some bridge supports Tongue

had a bloody bad day today, long story....will keep you posted

fc4me

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 09:55:23 AM »

Lookin good Darcy, but god help you when they see all those bits on them there tiles!!!
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 10:03:08 AM »

the bottom end is together  but need to get some bridge supports Tongue

Just say the word - money or manifold, there is a set sitting on my bench itching to go on holdays to the east.

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 10:22:49 AM »

hehe luckily those tiles are absolute sh!t and are waiting to be ripped up.....ahh so many things to do.

burnsy, should be getting you that manifold on sunday, just gotta wait and see i  guess....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: