FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 08:22:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine fumes and brakes  (Read 1767 times)
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »

Hi all.

Just bought an EJ. I last owned a grey Holden 20 years ago so I'm a bit rusty (fortunately the car isn't).
Firstly this site is terrific, I already know why the brake pedal sinks, when I fix the master should the pedal feel wooden? It hasn't got a booster.

What is an acceptable level of fumes from one of these engines? When its hot and running it comes out the lower breather and when I stop, from the rocker cover.

I'm not a mechanic, anyone know a good old Holden person not too far from Chatswood in Sydney?

thanks
John Huh

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
craiga
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 02:01:07 AM »

John,

By wooden do you mean hard? If so, it may be that the brakes shoes are adjusted up too tight, the wheel cylinders and/or master cylinder are dirty/corroded, the return springs are stuffed, or the brake lines are buggered and holding pressure in the system.

The blow by is pretty typical of a slightly used/worn grey, not too much to worry about unless it gets real bad. The smoking on engine off is the remainder of the blow by venting to atmosphere. Could be caused by worn rings.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 02:02:50 AM by craiga » Logged
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 04:07:46 AM »

John,

I use Barry Antella of Antella & Lloyd for mechanical work.

The workshop is located at the rear of the servo at the top of Roseville Bridge, on the Roseville side.

He knows old Holden's back to front.

Regards

Edward
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: