FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 06:20:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: teething problems - red motor trial run.  (Read 2286 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:35:46 AM »

I've just started and run my red motor since I installed new head, headers and manifold/holley etc.

It runs well and at the correct temp 182f, but when I stop it a little smoke wafts up for a few about 10 seconds or so.

There was a little bit of milky substance ( i thought oil) on the top of the radiator water so I draind radiator - all nice and clear, and removed the tappet cover - all nice and oily with no milky substance at all.

I believe the smoke may be from a number of things:

1) i used engine enamel on the headers (cause i had it) - probably should have used high temp - they are quite brown now from the heat - maybe that caused some smoke

2) new manifold gasket?

3) some oil spilt somewhere?

or maybe the headers just burning in - i had them acid dipped

I have started it a few times prior to this but never run it for more than 30 seconds or so - I had it running for about 5 min or so this time until it got up to running temp.

Any ideas? I think I jsut need some confidence that I have done everything right

Cheers
Dave
craiga
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 05:09:15 AM »

Dave,

Where is the smoke coming from?

Do you have a PCV valve fitted? Or are you using an old walking stick type vent pipe?

You could be seeing a little bit of blow by, this may happen until the oil rings bed in. If its a new engine you should be starting it and running it at a fast idle for 20 minutes to bed things in. If its not brand new, a little bit of vented oil smoke from the crankcase isn't a major deal, a fairly normal. shut the bonnet and you won't see it :-)

Cheers,

Craig.
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:56:32 AM »

Craig,

The smoke is coming from the right hand side of the head - thats about as close as I can point out at the moment.  As long as its not a problem with the head gasket or anything I'm not too concerned.

The engine has done about 5000 miles but has sat largley idle for the last 5 years.  

It didn't smoke at all with the old carb/head/exhaust so its hard to say with all the new variables.

I have a PCV valve - i mite try a new one as it may not be functioning properly.

I changed the gearbox the other night, so I may have also got a bit of oil some where.  I'll see how it goes when I get the exhaust and I can get my head a bit closer to the engine bay without going deaf.

I guess the "virtual dyno" once it registered will be the litmus test!

Cheers
Dave
craiga
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 08:10:14 AM »

Dave,

It could be just that some oil has run down between the extractor gasket and the head, and is smoking as it burns off.

I agree, hit the virtual dyno :-)

Cheers,

Craig

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 02:12:10 AM »

Dave, Ditto to what CraigA said.You get all sorts of smoke and smells when you start up after major engine work/rebuilds so I'd give it a good run if you can.You will probably see a bit of smoke and smell for a while until everything settles down but unless the smoke/smell is excessive or you start to hear noises that you just aren't supposed to hear then don't worry too much.Just make sure you keep an eye on the engine oil pressure guage and/or temp guage. I know what you mean about the " I just need some confidence that I have done everything right ",I was like an expectant father when as an apprentice mechanic I started up my first rebuild all those years ago......have fun.......Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: