FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 05, 2024, 12:17:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC RB 30  (Read 10280 times)
neil armstrong
« on: May 25, 2002, 08:49:32 AM »

Hi every one.
I have a FC sedan which has a 186 trimatic, LGP, HR front end. etc.
I am hoping to put a RB 30 motor and 5 speed from my donor VL calais.  The tunnel has been enlarged and i am not sure what else i will have to do to convert.
How do i go about the computer, i know (or think) that all i need is the computer, loom and all the rest but if anyone has done this project, please tell me ( not my E mail) how they went about doing it.
Thanx Neil
HARKO
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 10:25:35 AM »

::)Cant help you mate but it sounds pretty cool,Should have the goods on the street hey.
                                         Harko
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2002, 11:39:55 PM »

Just a suggestion, but why not use the entire loom from the Calaise so it all plugs into the computer and all the engine bay senders, fuse box etc. I dont know what instruments are in the Calaise but using what you can will make it easier to hook up as well.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 02:38:51 AM »

hi neil, sorry cant help you much but would love to know how you go with it and what modifications are needed as i was considering the same swap at a later stage.  im right in the middle of trying to re-wire mine.
currently running  warm 186 supra 5 speed and 4 wheel discs from commodore, i just had the VH, V8 diff cut down and front stubbs from castlemain rod shop for HR to take commodore discs
so hoping for either an RB30 or ecotech V6. depends on $$$$ and modifications  :-/.
good luck
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 06:10:39 AM »

G'day Neal,
I was toying with same convertion but could not convince myself it was any beter than the good old 186 with some modifications or maybe I am just a bit nostelgic.     Cool

You can get a convertion kit from Castlemain rod shop witch will bolt up to your HR front end and they supply a rear cross member and the converted sump to suit.

Also with your wiering it is better to obtain a after market loom witch will enable you to run the standard FE/FC instruments and not clutter the engine bay with a heap of extra wiers and relays.
Castle Auto Elecs in Castlemaine have a neat loom for your swap.

You also you need to look at your fuel tank, maybe have it converted or try fitting the VL tank for the return fuel (beeing fuel injected) and to comply with the regs on polution gear for the motor.

With the hump or tunnel it may be just trial and era, it does not have to be very big.

Hope this helps, best of luck.
Steve.
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2002, 06:42:35 AM »

a friend of mine owned my fc before i did, and he installed a VK 202 with fuel injection in it. he did all the wiring - connecting it to the existing instuments etc. hid the computer and extra stuff under the dash and did all the neccessay plumbing etc. the tunnel didn't have to be modified at all running a supra 5 speed (older box).

he might be able to answer some questions for you. i don't think he'd mind if i gave you his email:

charles.lark@aar.com.au

ps. i do remember reading an article is street machine once where a guy put the VL motor in an EH. i am pretty sure that he had to modify the sump and oil pickup to fit the HR crossmember
hope this helps a bit.

simon

simon
Graeme

one of thses days my wagon will be finished.....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 07:19:35 AM »

Hey Neal,

Am doing this conversion right this very minute.  Was running 186 trimatic.  I used the VL motor, auto, complete VL loom, fuel pump and filter, etc etc etc.  Very time consuming but a very "easy" swap. Engine mounts and change over sump (very modified sump) available off the shelf at Castlemaine Rod Shop - change over HR front ends also available and everything bolted up without too much mucking around.  I also used HQ stubs, rotors and calipers and am getting the rear axles change to HQ pattern.  If you need any help, photo's or whatever, email me - gjs@cbl.com.au

Good luck.
Graeme Smiley
HARKO
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 01:15:03 PM »

Not sure if any of you have heard this type of news as yet but I was told that the trend in America is heading towards carburetted engines in current model cars and that we are to follow - Its supposedly due to the fuel that is produced now ,Injectors in some commodores once clogged have to be replaced ,they can't be cleaned so my tip would be to do a little research first {The fuel in my bike sat for a month or so and in that time its ingredients seperated and choked the tank ,lines ,carby and filters ,It would not remix with fuel and had a texture a lot like glue }A year later and i still cant get it completely in tune again
                                 Harko Cool
jezz
wa-club

an engine would be nice, saves pushing the wagon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 02:44:21 AM »

I'm contemplating replacing the Red motor currently in my FE and want to compare a RB30 and V6 conversion. Is there someone in the Perth Metro area that's done either of these conversions, RB30 or V6 that is willing to discuss pitfall and costs.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 06:21:58 AM »

Hi Jezz,

No real pitfalls in putting a V6 into the FC, just time and research will slow the headaches down a little.
I have used a complete donor Vt Commodore for my V6 conversion with as much from the donor car as possible.
With the original purchase of the van ($800), ground up restoration and modifications won't get any change out of $20000 when complete.
There are cheaper ways of doing this of course if your Fc does not need rust repairs and a paint job.
V6 conversion in Moree quote an installation at about $8000 and that is when you supply the donor engine.
Not sure about who is able to do it in Perth.

Hope this helps a little.
Probably the best bit of advise that I got when I started 2 years ago was to reasearch and the when you think you have it research it a bit more.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2003, 09:49:12 AM »

G'Day Jezz

Give me a call on 0417919742 regarding Perth conversions

Gary

fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 12:10:33 PM »

gary have you got domenic panizzas details?
he is the guy here in perth doing the v6 conversions.
if anybody needs his info give me a call on 0419949987
craig
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 12:35:29 PM »

Got them here somewhere craig.........if i cant find them i will get jezz  to ring you. i spoke to him tonight and he would prefer the rb30 , but i dont know anyone over here that has done one Huh

fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 12:59:51 PM »

i think he has done that on a eh van
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2003, 10:22:41 PM »

Harko!

Those guys in the US must be MAD!.. going back to carby versus EFI?
.. IMHO.. crazy..

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2003, 02:49:52 AM »

i'll send you a message with his numbers and email address
craig
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2003, 02:55:32 AM »

woops, his name is albert
sorry about that
craig
jezz
wa-club

an engine would be nice, saves pushing the wagon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2003, 05:15:20 AM »

I worked that one out. I had a look at his Eh van he's got an RB30 mated with the VL 5spd. Neat conversion.

Still like to compare a V6 setup. anyone with the kit from Moree on the road in WA? (Not convinced on a few things that we discussed).
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2003, 11:32:48 AM »

is that the pat gardner kit?
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2003, 11:42:57 AM »

Hi guys,
           I have V6 chev conversion on the cards for mine,
still carby set up which is good,next best thing to a V8 chev Wink. I have everything but the rear end now.
Cheers BRAD...

1959 Black Std sedan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: