FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My new FE holden  (Read 31765 times)
srevoice

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2005, 04:59:32 AM »

Hello All,

I have just purchased a new FE holden to add to my collection and I was wondering if anybody could help me with the interior paint colour. The id plate goes as such,

FE-217-884-A
 TRIM 4-484
 PAINT No 253-6258

I know the outside is black but the interior paint on the dash looks like it could be gray or a silver colour. Can anybody help me with the exact colour as I would like to have this back to original.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 05:30:03 AM »

Hi Andy.
You will have to talk to Ken McLean or one of the other FE Gurus about this. I know the colour you mean, but could not ID it.
It is one of those "Special" colour combos.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 06:46:58 AM »

Hi,

The Colour Specification is for a FE-217
External - Black (Hi-Gloss) - Trim - Taurus Red PVC, initial release FE colour set.
From the code it appears to be a very early 1956 Adelaide build car, but you would need to get the chassis number off the left guard to confirm this.
If it is a 56 car, all of the car interior should be black, including the steering column, however I will need to check, because black cars for government departments were sometimes had special bits.

Cheers Geoff_K
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 07:38:11 AM »

Thanks Geoff K,

I dont think its is all black because around the door pillars and the inside of the glove box it is the silver-gray colour, I will try to get the number for you to help id where the car was made
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 08:43:51 AM »

Hi Guys.
This is not your average FE-217. It is a "Special" build car. The car is as you described it Geoff, but this has some extras from the showroom. The car is equipped with the "Special" front gaurd/door trims & has a Special badge on the rear quarter. It also has kick plates around the rear seat, similar to what the FJ Business sedans had.
The car also has the dash, centre pillars & some of the doors painted in silver metallic.
The car was purchased from the Launceston dealer by the first owner & he was accompanied by his then quite young daughter. She clearly recalls the car on the showroom floor with this trim & is adamant it was never added.The car was passed onto her when her father died. It then stayed in her possession until Les bought it. Then Les sold it to Andy.
Ken knows of this car & has another recorded with this paint scheme (I think).
Like I said, Andy. You will not be able to get the colour from any book, but will have to get it matched from the rear of the glovebox.
If someone like Geoff doesn't know the colour, it will probably remain a mystery.

Rob J

Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »

Hi Rob, Andy el al,

I was only using the paint/trim codes as reference.  Seems like this really could be something special.
Speculating on Holden Factory/Dealer 'specials' will always be interesting, but it is likely that some 'experimental' cars could have been disposed of, and also some 'pushy/special' dealers and/or customers could have got special orders.  However, considering how flat out the production line was, it is more likely that the dealer organised a few spare parts and did a 'factory customisation' in their workshop because the 'boss' could make a few extra $'s (I mean Pounds) and keep the customer happy (or get rid of  a car that was not moving).
If anyone knows what colour schemes Hobart Taxi's were painted in 1956, could it be that someone had to move a car that had been prepared as a Hobart (or even Melbourne 'Silvertop') Taxi.
(I saw this happen at Muirs Ashfield when Holden realeased the VK Commodore.  Initially the grille was not accepted by buyers, so Muirs had them chromed)  
Anyway the only FE-217 I am sure about is mine.

Cheers

Geoff K
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 11:49:55 AM »

Thanks Rob & Geoff K,

Looks like I will have to have another get together with Rob and talk as he knows more about the car than I do. Thanks for your help Geoff looks like I will be going off what Rob says and will be starting to match some paint with a sample. Will be interesting to see the final product.
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »

It was quite common for black Holden's from the 50's & 60's to come ex-factory with metallic silver/grey inside......although nobody seems to know what colour it is (unless Ken knows??).
Also, chrome grilles for VK's was a genuine Holden accessory....quite rare now.

Cheers,

Graham
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 05:20:34 AM »

The black FE Special I wrecked last year had silver for the interior colour. I still have the dash fittings if required. Basically all the interior surfaces bar the steering colomn were silver.
Colin

colt
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 06:41:48 AM »

Hi All.
Here is the chassis number, Geoff;
6 - 8886M

Rob J Smiley

craiga
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:45 AM »

Here is a car with what sounds like the same scheme - an FC Business Sedan.

RET or Ken will identify the colour, from my recollectrion this was talked about a couple of years ago on the forum.

Cheers,

Craig.
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »

Hi Guys,
Black Cars have really interesting interiors.
I have skimmed through some of my files and see that I have many nights work ahead of me to get to the bottom of how the interiors of Black Cars were finished.  Really interesting, lots of surprises ahead.
Anyway, with respect to the car being discussed:
The silver colour would be 208-7815 Pewter Grey
After 20 August 57 the Instrument Panel Upper & Instrument Panel Ash Tray was changed to 208-2152 Charcoal Grey.

Geoff_K
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 03:03:11 AM »

My thanks to everybody, I greatly appreciate all the help to find out the interiour colour.

Rob have you been sneaking into my shed or did you already have the chassis number.

Thanks for the paint number Groff K, will now get stuck inot getting the paint and have a go at my first paint job.

Nice pic of the FC business sedan CraigA, hopefully soon my FE will look like that.

Andrew G
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 03:42:42 AM »

Hi Andy.
I snuck in last night while you were sleeping, hoping to get the chassis number & maybe pinch the Norman back! But bugger me if you weren't sleeping with it under you pillow Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Maybe that's why you have a crook neck in the mornings.

Sleep tight, Andy. Oneday you will roll off the pillow & the Norman is MINE AGAIN.......hahahaha..........etc..........evil cackle to continue.....

Shocked
Rob J Wink

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 06:11:04 AM »

I also wrecked a FE 225 which was black with silver dash, I did a very thorough examination of the cars dash area and it never had black paint on it.
The silver is on all inside sections of the dash and is definately factory finish.
My assuption is that they were fleet cars for a specific comany or government dept.  There were no holes for a roof mounted sign for a taxi but there were a number of holes in the firewall (about 15 non original holes) possibly a 2 way radio and screw holes where maybe wiring was held in place and also possibly another battery on the drivers side of the engine bay.  The car was very original in terms of modifications that would indicate a 70's custom, so all the holes would appear to have been done very early in its life.  
Ken
srevoice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 06:44:58 AM »

Thanks Ken,

From all the responses I will be painting it the silver colour as I really wanted to have it back too all original.

Rob J, I should have know it was you from the warm breath on the back of my neck last night.
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »

G'day guys, just posting a couple of pics of a Black FE I found a few years ago... not sure if it's a Standard or Business Sedan - up to the experts. You can see a bit of the red interior, but unfortunately no interior details...

Slight dent in the driver's side rear quarter...

Cheers
Les...

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 08:26:10 PM »

hmmmm hard one to picture

although it is obvious that its been messed with. notice the fc bonnet mascot with an fe emblem in front of it  Shocked Shocked

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 09:01:26 PM »

Looks like a nice car Hewart, can't see a light switch on the drivers door pillar so it's probably a standard.

I have an FE panel van with an FC mascot above the FE badge and have seen others, maybe another GMH mystery.

Gary
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 09:14:45 PM »

anyone know the truth behind the bonnet mascot/s

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: