FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: cracked block!  (Read 7058 times)
hawk
nsw-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2005, 04:44:56 AM »

I popped my bonnet on my fc this afternoon after going for a drive and noticed water seeping from the block .Its not coming from welch plugs .Can this be welded up or am i up for a new motor. ps its a grey motor any advice would be appreciated. Regards Greg
craiga
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 04:49:30 AM »

Greg,

Are you 100% sure it's not coming from somewhere else and running along the block? Is it near the water pump, under the exhaust manifold - whereabouts?

I thought the engine in your car was recently re-coed?

Craig.
hawk
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:42:54 AM »

Craig its on the left side under exhaust manifold about a few inches up from where the sump meets the block i can email a picture if you are interested .I actually saw the water seeping out.Regards Greg
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:04:40 AM »

Hi Greg,
I had the same problem a few years ago on a old blokes car that i maintain.
I used a additive to the cooling system called "chemiweld" as a temporary repair.
The car is still going and no sign of a leak. Wink
Hope this helps,
Regards ACE  Cool
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 08:07:41 PM »

hi Greg,
Sorry to hear you have troubles.Can you post a pic showing the problem?Maybe you can contact the guy @auto pro Blacktown who had the rebuild done there should be some sort of warranty.
Cheers,
Graham
craiga
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 08:42:39 PM »

Greg,

Not great news, but I agree with both Ace and Graham.

As Ace says, Chemiweld works a treat, but I'm sure I remember that the engine in your car was rebuilt. Check any receipts with the car, and then do what Graham says about contacting Auto Pro. They seemed like really good guys, and should be more than willing to help.

Cheers,

Craig.

Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 08:52:13 PM »

Dependent upon where and how large the crack is there is a process called "Metalock", which is used for large commercial castings as a means of "stitching" the crack or casting back together. A similar way is to drill the crack along its length with holes of a similar diameter to small copper brazing rod. Thread the brazing rod and tap the drilled holes. Once the rod has been screwed in, peen the end over, make sure that all of the peened ends interlock, drill holes need to be pretty close together and you have a patent repair. Very useful for cast iron manifolds and various other cast iron blocks, either nodular or grey. Like I say it depends on size and accessability of the damage.

Might be useful.

Grah.

Grah
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 08:55:44 PM »

Greg I bumped into the guy from Auto Pro @Motorex and he bought back the Grey FC they had restored.He said he would be at All Holden Day in 3 weeks with the car and I invited him to park with us and to join the club.
cheers,
Graham
hawk
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 09:16:44 PM »

Craig and Graham there was documents with the car that said that there is no warranty on the work done on the car .I will get some chemiweld today and do that tomorrowand let you know how that goes .Regards Greg
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 10:12:56 PM »

Hi Greg,
If i see the guy at All Holden I will discuss it with him if you like.
Cheers,
Graham
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 10:40:50 PM »

Hmmm.  It's one thing to say "OK, it's a 45 year old car, there's no warranty".  But if they put a GEM/BMH motor in it, then that should still have a guarantee.  I'd check that out before possibly voiding any guarantee it did have by attempting to fix it yourself.

I'm sorry to hear about your dramas.  Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
hawk
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 05:22:27 AM »

Here is a picture of where the water is coming from Regards. Greg.
hawk
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 08:06:36 AM »

I flushed the cooling system today added Chemiweld did as instructions said but still the block is seeping water Sad. Has anyone got anymore ideas or do i need to see a mechanic ? Regards Greg.
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 10:45:41 AM »

Hi Greg,
Does not look good.I would seek the opinion of a professional.
cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: