FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 10:11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Trimatic into FC sedan  (Read 4666 times)
TAYZ_58
« on: June 23, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

Im going to attempt to install a trimatic into and FC sedan behind a grey.  Wondering if trimatic will fit straight in or whether hump may need to be panelbeated?  has anyone on the forum attempted this conversion?  Im trying to find EK auto column to put in so i can keep it on the column as I dont want a floor shift

TAYZ 58
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:15:14 PM »

Mine's got a trimatic in it, though I did buy it that way so can't really help with the tunnel mods.

If no one can help, my car's available for someone to look at for you.

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 08:34:50 PM »

TAYZ 58

You will need to make tunnel modifications to allow the Trimatic to fit.  The best way is to weld in a new tunnel section available from places like the Castlemain Rod Shop or V6 Conversions.  Here is a picture of a tunnel I put into my EK , the floor pan of which is much the same as an FC.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 08:35:55 PM »

Tayz,
Have sent PM with details of contacts for conversion
Matt
TAYZ_58
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 04:14:26 AM »

Thanks for the replys fellas and I now have a better understanding to go ahead with this conversion,

TAYZ 58
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 09:12:07 AM »

l'm not sure about using a trimatic behind a grey,but a mate of mine put a trimatic behind a red motor. He was expecting to have to do some "massaging" but l'm pretty sure that after a test fit  it fitted without  any modification to the tunnel ,it was at about this time that he decided to go with the trimatic! l too was suprised considering how tiny the FC tunnel is.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 10:44:50 AM »

I think the motor would sit too low without mods to at least the crossmember under the floor

I have red with a Trimatic and fitted a EK floor to make the whole floor pan look unmodified

Ken
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 07:12:38 PM »

if i remember right

if you put a apririt level onto the top of the carby where the air filter mounts and it isnt even your motor will not run right. this is why there are rod shop conversion stuff, or like kens FE having the larger(EKHydro) tunnel

cheers
Torque

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
TAYZ
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 05:56:18 AM »

After scratching my hjead many times i am thinking about aborting the trimatic and going for something along the lines of a powerglide from  HR.  I now have EK auto column and apparently the linkages from trimatic to column are a bit of a night mare.  Is the powerglide an easier fit???     I was a t castlemaine Rod Shop toady and they sell tunnels for $90- which will be no hassle to weld into my floor.  I am wondering mainly about gearbox being matched up to steering column.  This car is only going to be used for crusing for about 18 months to 2 years or when money permits when then I will work the shisenhousen out of the motor and box.  BUT at present i just want a cruiser.  Any sugestions on the [powerglide??
                                               TAYZ 58
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 06:16:28 AM »

I recently ditched the 'glide from Faecal, and fitted a Trimatic behind the 186 instead.  Surferboy had a grey+glide combination in his wagon for a while, but has since gone the red option.

Here's the thing.  The 'glide is very strong, pretty much indestructible.  However, it  has a number of short-comings:

1.  They have a very deleterious effect on fuel economy, with only two speeds.
2.  They are very hard on brakes, because you have virtually no compression braking working for you
3.  They are left-handed, so the linkage arrangement to the column would be a nightmare.  (This was not a problem for me, since I already had buckets.  The 'glide came with T-bar, and was replacing a Datto 4-speed.)

I never tried a grey+glide combination, but I've ridden in EKs and EJs with Hydramatics, and it seems unlikely the 'glide would improve the experience, which frankly is less than neck-snapping.  Try driving around using only 2nd, 3rd and reverse gears, and you'll get a good feel for what you'd be letting yourself in for.

To be honest, a 149 with the crashbox is a more viable alternative than the grey with any auto, in my opinion.  Once you're ready to tackle the engineers, you go from 149 to 179/186 or stroked 208, you know, whatever...

Hope all that is some help.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 09:29:15 AM »

Yes the linkage was a bit tricky from the column onto the Trimatic but this is what clubs are for !
You are more than welcome to see how I did the linkage on my car as well as the lock out and neutral start switch.

I dont think it is any easier on a Powerglide

Regards  Ken
TAYZ
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 11:05:29 AM »

Ken,
             I appreciate that and i think i will take you up on that.  Im tipping you have EK auto column in yr FC?
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 07:47:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure the standard Trimatic drive plate won't fit on the grey crank.
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: