FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:34:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: holden vs ford  (Read 18518 times)
tyrelle
« on: May 04, 2002, 08:10:58 AM »

Huh hey. im doing a report on Holden vs Ford and would love to get some info on personal choice and why. please dont hesitate to email me on any ideas you may have. thans
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 10:47:09 AM »

How about providing an email address?

Anyway it's more interesting if responses are posted for others to read.

Here are my cars and reasons

::)Company Car - Ford AU2 Wagon - coz I don't like Commondores (or is that "d" supposed to be a "wh"?)

8)FE Sedan - coz you can't beat that style.

;DLC Torana - a great hoon car and my very first car.

Wink'66 Ford Galaxy - big old cruiser, it's like driving around in a nice comfy lounge chair.

craiga
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2002, 01:16:39 AM »

Here's mine........

I own currently own three cars;

1995 Ford XR8 - Handles great, perfect sound (ford V8's make beautiful noise), quiet inside, smooth and comfortable. Purchased new in 1995 only has 45000 km's. Will keep this till I die.

1959 FC Holden Special (the 'poo mobile') - Owned this for 20 years. Has done about 450 000 miles. Wink Classic style, made of real steel, has great 'character'. Doesn't stop too well, doesn't go that fast, doesn't handle very well, but when you are driving it you feel on top of the world. They'll dig a big hole and bury me in this one, or it will rust out and I'll fall through the floor and die anyway Grin

1994 Subaru Liberty Wagon - Use this as an everyday car, about 45 000km's per year. Safe in wet or dry because of the fact it is a 4WD (but not a converted truck  Wink), handles itself well in all conditions, goes OK and the boxer engine sounds pretty good, kids can smash it about and I don't care too much. If they smash the two above they leave home, which is a fairly serious threat when they are only 4 and 5 years old. Grin
Keep this one until I update to a later model Subaru Wagon. (which will be soon)

I have owned an LJ Torana road car (stinky's right about these making great 'hoon' cars), LJ Torana drag car, re-built an LJ Torana GTR from ground up, VJ Valiant (Valiants are cool until the steering box or front end falls off, BTW a silver E49 or an E55 Charger are my dream cars), and I have had plenty of Ford, Holden, and Toyota company car's and van's.

Dad alway's had Ford company cars but owned Valiant's and Holden's. When I was younger I was a Holden man, probably because of their success at Bathurst when I was growing up. Dad sold an absolutely perfect low milage EH just after I turned 16 - what a bastard, I wanted that car  Cry  (He got $2500 for it in 1980 which was TOP[/i] dollar for that time.)

I still haven't let him sit in my FC, old grudges die hard. Grin

Some people blindly love Holdens or Fords and that's OK because their passion is important, but I now think people should try to appreciate all cars for their good points, and understand the fact that every model or make also has its bad points.

Look forward to reading other people's comments.

Good Luck with your report.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2002, 01:42:33 AM by craiga » Logged
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2002, 02:46:22 AM »

In my opinion Ford is just a 4 letter word starting with F.
My grandfather never owned one, my father never owned one, I never will and my son will be disinherited if he ever owns one!!!!!
I have had 23 various FE and FC Holdens since I was 16 and currently my non FE/FC car is a superb Panther VS Berlina and also a VH work hack
Commodores rule the race track, the sales charts and look a whole lot better the the current model FOULCANS.

I work in an Australian manufacturing company and am a firm believer in buying Australian made.  If we all buy imported stuff then I and half the rest of Australia are out of a job and this great country goes down the drain.
I don't car whether its cars or canned tomatos.  Buy Australian !!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 06:06:54 AM »

Grin Good on you KEN,
                                 I am a holden man thru and thru, except for my 1950 Buick but that is GM also. I am restoring a FE special sedan,for the wife, and i am restoring a FE ute for myself. I drive around in a VK commodore,alway's had holdens and alway's will have holdens. Ken is right ford is a four letter word starting with f. But i can think of a 4 letter word also starting with S and ending in T Shocked. But hey each to there own or this would be a boring world if we were all the same. Wink

REGARDS SPIDER
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2002, 09:33:05 AM »

I work in an Australian manufacturing company and am a firm believer in buying Australian made.  If we all buy imported stuff then I and half the rest of Australia are out of a job and this great country goes down the drain.
I don't car whether its cars or canned tomatos.  Buy Australian !!!!!!!!!!!

I do believe that Fords are Australian made too. They might not be Australian owned, but then neither is Holden! Tongue

Well done on the purchase of the XR8 there Craig. Wink
An excellent value for money car, that will be unique in years to come, unlike all these HSV models around with their look-a-like twins.

coolaride
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2002, 09:46:02 AM »

just remember those early falcons, like the XK - XP`s and the GT era. these were and still are very nice cars .
those GTHO`s were the fastest .

good to see there`s another subaru enthusiast out there .

I still haven't let him sit in my FC, old grudges die hard.  

get over it !  Tongue

p.s coolaride`s other daily driver is a 99 WRX , maybe we should line our cars up ,hey Craig ? Wink

In my opinion Ford is just a 4 letter word starting with F.

can someone tell me what this word is ?  Grin
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 10:28:13 AM »

Ahhh.

The early Holden, 3/4 the real thing.................... just a poor man's CHEV Grin

« Last Edit: May 05, 2002, 10:29:03 AM by air-chief » Logged
coolaride
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 12:03:02 PM »

hey there air-chief  , nice flash kit  Wink

is that another tilli product ?    Grin
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2002, 04:27:42 PM »

Hi.
I have owned approximately 12 Holdens of various vintage, the earliest being the FC ute I just purchased, & the toughest being a genuine HQ GTS 350 Coupe (I LOVED that car, but sold it & bought a house).
I have 3 Holdens at the moment & must say I love them, BUT, I do appreciate ANY classic or interesting car.

I have owned a VJ Valiant (Good solid reliable car), a Morris 1100 S (DON'T laugh!! This was a VERY worked car that THRASED more than a few Holdens & Fords my friends owned Tongue) that would run to 115 MPH!!! Shocked (VERY SCARY I admit).

I also have a 99 Nissan Pulsar SSS. 105 KW racer. This thing was the bees knees until you lined it up with a REX.  I still get a kick floggig the youngsters in their mobile Xmas trees. Grin

My dream car is a Shelby GT500KR Mustang.

But I will say that I am a bit Holden biased. I have never owned a Ford, but there is no real reason not too, it is just none of the ones I wanted were available when I was car hunting.

Also, that crack about the HSV cars is a bit odd Huh. Of course they look the same, they ARE all Commodores to begin with!! How different do the Tickford cars look??? To finally get a Ford to beat the Holdens, Tickford have to buy Mustangs & re hook them.

Also, you have to admit, Holdens are a bit better at the engineering side of things at the moment.
The best way to gauge the popularity of a certain car is to go to an Auction. Down here Commodores & Camrys sell very fast for a high price. Falcons DON't!! They are going for up to $5000 cheaper than the Commodores. Used car dealers won't touch them.

Anyway, I probably have pissed a few people off Angry, but this is the way I see things.
Regards,
4hammers

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2002, 07:40:31 PM »

:)The 50's were an era of nostalgia......chrome was the thing....I bought an FC just for that....chrome....Aussie icon..... these things will never go away...I love hearing the older blokes say..." I used to have one of those ".... When I was young , I was totally Holden...you know, because dad had them...then Bathurst in the 70's ...now I can appreciate those early model Falcons, even if they don't have as much chrome as the FC's...I think they do up real well. Cheesy

Phil
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2002, 07:47:01 AM »

Air Chief,
yes you are right, Falcons are made in Australia, as well as a few of the Toyota variants, and yes they are all foreign owned.  As far as the "buy Australian" whinge goes - this means buy the product which is made in Australia.
I would rather see someone else (not me) driving an XR8 or a Camry rather than a Hyudai for instance.

Whatever product you buy - the profit goes offshore - at least you have the choice of keeping people employed!
Think about it !!!!

Ken
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2002, 10:48:05 PM »

I totally understand the buy Australian slogan, however if the item that I wish to purchase is foreign made and it suits my needs better  I'll still purchase that item.  Buying Australian is not always buying the best quality or value for money.

that crack about the HSV cars is a bit odd

What its meant to mean is: You spend your hard earned $$ on a HSV and within 12 months the market is flooded with look-a-likes. Not very unique looking anymore.

To finally get a Ford to beat the Holdens, Tickford have to buy Mustangs & re hook them.

Where do you think Holden's motors come from?Huh
« Last Edit: May 06, 2002, 11:06:31 PM by air-chief » Logged
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2002, 10:57:14 PM »

That's the problem with any Holden/Ford debate, it doesn't matter with what intent the debate starts, it will always divide, and because we are for the FE/FC cause, maybe it is not a good thing that we do not get divided.
Maybe I am wrong?

Regards
Jason.  Huh
« Last Edit: May 06, 2002, 10:58:14 PM by fevanv6 » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2002, 11:14:17 PM »

Well, my first car was an FC Holden, as was my second. I had a HZ Holden Statesman for a while and my everyday car is my wifes Ford Laser. The FC worked hard everyday for many, many years and she deserves the rest. I can park the Laser in the street at work and not worry too much about it. I will never part with my FC, but my other dream is to own a 1928/29 FORD Hot Rod. Then I will be happy!!!
Regards
Alex

spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2002, 11:16:18 PM »

[/quote] From AIRCHIEF
What its meant to mean is: You spend your hard earned $$ on a HSV and within 12 months the market is flooded with look-a-likes. Not every unique looking anymore

You Might be spending your hard earned $$ on a HSV, and the market is flooded with look alikes. No different to a the 100s of GT look alikes, HK,HT,HG, Bathurst monaroes look alikes. They might look the same but unless the NUMBERS MATCH to identify as a GT,BATHURST MONAROE or whatever, its worth DIDDLY SQUAT. So they might look the same, but it's the difference beetween $30,000 for genuine to $3000 for a look alike. Thats just my opinion Wink

air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2002, 11:36:32 PM »

Ah. Healthy discussion, just what we need Smiley

I've seen many older and newer cars rebirthed. In the end its a set of numbers that makes it original.

I'll put it this way. You build yourself a modifed FE or FC. Just the way you want it to be different (paint, wheels, motor, etc.)Then someone comes along and copies it.  
Not really unique any more is it. Wink
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2002, 01:03:31 AM »

Smiley That is true airchief,,We are all guilty of that, whether it is from another FE,FC or a car from the latest street machine. You will look at something and think thats a good idea, how can i adapt that to my car. But everything is unique, there is going to be something that will set your car apart from the others,whether its noticeable to the public or not,if you have modified something to your car yourself then its unique, Unless someone copies it perfectly inch by inch Wink
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2002, 02:02:17 AM »

YES, I like a good discussion!! Grin Grin
What I mean't by the crack about "Re-Hooking Mustangs", is this.

When was the last time a Ford won Bathurst using a Aussie built car, with an Aussie built Motor, while going up against an Holden (Which are ALWAYS assembled in OZ. As opposed to the Sierras) with an an Aussie built motor. Wink

I will re-affirm my like of ANY Classic/Interesting car REGARDLESS of make. But I LOVE early Holdens. I do like Fords, but am making a legitimate point regarding engineering. Smiley

Keep those replies coming,
4hammers

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
coolaride
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2002, 02:32:54 AM »

But everything is unique

unique - of which there is only one.
             having no like or equal.

Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...