FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 06, 2024, 11:15:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 186--FC--HR CHASSIS  (Read 5110 times)
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2005, 06:24:27 AM »

as some of you may know we have recently aquired an fc sedan.

we were thinking of going for a 350 chev etc  but then thaught and thaught, so we decided to drop in the 186 we have here. we have the entire drivetrain; diff, front end motor box.

we dont really want this car to owe us all that much, so we were thinking of doing a little chassis modification, and were wondering it it was legal.

the drivetrain is actually still in a hr wagon that we are about to wreck. the gearbox is an ozzie four speed. this may get a bit technical but any way.

on the hr the gearbox mounts bolt to a piece of square tubing which isnt really connected to alot of things.

what we were going to do was unpick all of the welds that are holding the gearbox mounts and then attempt to graft it onto the fc floor..

does anyone know if this is possible/legal. the car will be a on club reg, but we also want it to be as safe as possible.

any help would be greatl appreciated.

cheers
torque

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 08:19:40 AM »

good choice of motor as there is less work and cost in the red six conversion and it would take longer to get the thing together.
best thing to do upfront is discuss it with your engineer as some engineers like things others dont.
it would be easier to understand what you are doing if you put up some pics.
I have a aussie 4 speed conversion rear gearbox mount for a fc that I was going to sell for $35, I think they are only about sixty bucks new, you would still be best to check with your engineer as some dont even accept these now.
it uses two peices of unistrut with a support for the box going across, the fc floor has 2 ridges down along side either side of the tunnel that were put there to add strength to the floor wich is were it bolts up to.

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:45:17 AM »

Torque, check the club rego bit.  Not sure what your rules are but in WA it has to be unmodified o be eligible.

186 conversion is a good choice, pretty straight forward and with a bit more engineering it can still can be upgraded at a later date to the 350.

Cheers,
Burnsy

Mike
Tumbles
wa-club

ute's kick ass

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:57:31 AM »

If your going to break the rules you might as well put a turbo charged RB30 in Grin Grin
Tumbles

SUPREME RULER AND DICTATOR-FOR-LIFE
It all starts with a second term in power!!
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 08:49:58 PM »

grafting the floor in would be Ok I would think so long as you lap the joins or provide adequate bracing.

the standard floors arent exactly strong anyway however do contribute to overall rigidity as it's a mono shell.

look at streetneats homepage on oldholden as he put in a HQ gearbox  x member into mrs streetneats car.

HTH

Ed

in the shed
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 01:21:25 AM »

take a look at the second last post on this topic - it gives you a good idea of what you need for a three of the tree - beleive an aussie 4 is pretty much the same (it better be or you will hear the swearing from your place in a couple of months when I try mine)

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1048070054;start=11

cheers
Al
Flamed FE

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 06:54:09 AM »

well well well

this changes a few thaughts

thanks for the info flamed fe

here is my final question

looking at the picture on the link that flamed fe supplied someone has just welden on the mounts from somethin like a hr or something similar. also that picture yes its hard to tell but the hump looks original, i am guessing with a hr tunnel this would solve many of the problems???

cheers
torque

ps: now i realize it was more than one question :-/

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 08:10:49 AM »

Torque

That was a wooden spoon and porriage bowl (three on tree) hr gear box. (I believe as not my car in pic)  You do not need to mod the hump to stick one of those in (I believe).  The aussie four speed is a total different matter.  See Alex's post on his mods when he slipped a aussie four into Rock'n'Roll

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1022339013

The bracket is based of the standard FC one.  I think that one in the pic was a CRS made backet.  Mine was made by some butcher who cut some bits out of an FC one and I added some steel when I got it for strength.
Have yet to get around to making a proper one.  Will wait to cross that bridge when I drop my aussie 4 in.

cheers
Al
Flamed FE
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 12:28:23 AM by Flamed_FE » Logged

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:14:50 AM »

so does anyone knwo if this is still available from crs???, or does anyone know hwere a second hand one thats for sale if???

cheers
torque

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 09:42:15 PM »

As far as I know, only the grey crashbox or a Datsun 4 speed fits under the stock tunnel.  It's news to me that any later crash-box fits.

Darcy, check out http://www.rodshop.com.au for the CRS catalogue.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
michaels57ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 05:16:03 AM »

I bought my fe ute with a hr front end and 186 if i were to put that back in and re-register would i need an engineers cert. i was also thinking of using a 5spd celica box does that affect the rego process. I was told by a couple of people that a 6 is a 6 and more often then not you can get off without engineers cert. Is that possible. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

CHEERS
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: