FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:52:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting Twin Carby Manifold to Grey  (Read 10160 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2002, 08:25:32 AM »

Has anyone got any hints / suggestions on fitting a twin carby mainifold to a grey motor. ie: fitting up of choke and accelerator linkages etc... Is there much to do in the change over from a single carby to a twin carby?

Thanks in Anticipation

Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 08:50:33 AM »

Rod,  It's all pretty simple as long as u buy right in the first place.  The swap meets are full of grey motor twin carby manifolds as they were VERY plentiful.
When you buy, MAKE SURE u get the accelerator linkage complete as this will bolt up to your existing linkage.
The choke wire is hooked to the rear carb as per normal with another piece of wire linke to the front carb.
Twin carbs run best with a set of extractors - so hunt up a set of these as well.
Price for a manifold with carbs and linkages complete is around $100-$200 depending on the brand.
Price for a twin carb manifold alone can be as low as $10. Don't buy these as trying to make the linkages from scratch is just not worth the effort.

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 10:42:26 PM »

Ken
Thanks for your response. I have got two manifolds without linkages. One is Warnford Design which seems to have the inlets which when you look them on the head the seem to be off line ie: the body is not horizonal (any thoughts). This manifold has got holes and mating to bolt onto the exhaust manifold. The other one which has no manufacture markings does not have any provisions to bolt onto the exhaust manifold.

As mentioned unfortunately both manifolds do not have linkages. I would be most appreciative if anyone has any images of the linkages so I could manufacture them or any ideas on how to do it.

Many Thanks
Rod
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2002, 02:33:31 AM »

:)Hey Rod,
                 Try american auto parts for your stromberg linkages they have the complete set for $35.20 plus they have the bit's and pieces for the linkages. You will find them at http://www.americanautos.com.au. Hope this help's. Roll Eyes
Regards Spider
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 02:52:27 AM »

Rod,  the twin carb manifold should be on an angle with one carb mount slightly higher than the other.  This is normal.  Obviously the second manifold is suited to extractors whereas the other is for the stocky manifold.

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2002, 08:41:13 AM »

Thanks Ken and Spider for your information.

Spider I use American Auto Parts often because of the excellent range and prompt service. I know they have manifolds for sale but when I went to there site today I was unable to find the linkages. Where abouts in they site do I need to look?

Thanks again

Rod
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2002, 11:31:16 AM »

:)No Worries Rod,
                             Use the search button, and type in TWIN STROMBERGS, that will bring up a list and just scroll down its about half way down the page. If you cant find it let me know. Grin
REGARD'S
               SPIDER
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2002, 10:10:32 PM »

Cheers Spider,
Found it Ok. Out of interest, have you used this linkage kit and how well di it fit up.
How did the old girl go with twin carbys? Is there a huge difference in economy? (i know it depends on how you drive it). Your thoughts

Rod
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2002, 12:06:32 AM »

Hey Rod,
              No mine isn't set up yet. I am rebuilding a FE ute. But ive got the twin carby manifold,the carbies and the extractors but i have to send away for the linkages myself. I am building my grey motor to go hard, just to show the blokes that bag the grey motors up here just what they can do. I have heard that the twin carbies,and the extractors make a fair bit of difference in performance, which it should. I would leave a message with Ihadav8
he has been there and could probably help you more than i could. All the information and help on performance he has helped me with. You will find him on the members site at the top af the page. If you need anything else or more help just leave me a message and i will help as much as i can
REGARDS
              SPIDER
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: