FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:29:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE/FC radios  (Read 9680 times)
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« on: April 23, 2002, 09:35:04 AM »

G'day everyone..

I was wondering if someone out there has a full list of original style, late 50s, radios that were able to be fitted into an FE or FC... (or maybe we could compile one) I know there are Air-Chief, and Ferris (?) radios... are there any more... like AWA...?

Also, I guess there were different variants, like push button, and dials... just wondering for a bloke like me, looking around at swap meets and the like, what should I be looking for when on the lookout for that ever-so-popular, but hard-to-find accessory – the radio?

I'm asking as I've just found an "AWA Cruisematic 6". It's a 12 volt car radio which I beleive may have come from either an FE of FC, but I didn't really want to go drilling aerial holes in the old girl if this particular radio doesn't go in my FC.....

Any help would be great... thanks!!

craiga
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 09:39:57 AM »

Hi Les,

I have a couple of these AWA Cruisematic radios, both non working but bodywise in excellent condition. There is a serial number on the back that apparently gives the date of manufacture - and I was told by a radio restorer that they were fitted to FE-FC models as an aftermarket accessory.

Is your unit working? If not when I chase up the capacitors for mine I'll grab some extra for you.

Cheers,

Craig.
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2002, 09:47:40 AM »

Hi Guys
Talking about radios, I just found one on ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1724548156
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2002, 09:53:03 AM »

Thanks Guys...

As for it working... I don't know yet. I only got it yesterday, and have only just cleaned it up a bit.... Looks pretty good. You can still read the fasica really well. Buttons seem to work, as does the dial. It came with an aerial, but no other wires, so I still need to work out how to check if its working or not, and also if it fits (though it looks like it's about the right size)....

Cheers...
Les

coolaride
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2002, 10:10:48 AM »

hey there Hewart ,
           i`ve also seen "His Masters Voice" radio fitted
           to an fc as an after market unit and i have to
           say that this looked really good  Smiley

maybe Dr Ken can help us with a list ?

regards coolaride  Cool
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2002, 08:59:24 PM »

I can't help you with an exhaustive list, but here are some details on the original Air-Chief radios: http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/nasco/comforts/airchief.html

There was also an AWA fascia that fitted in the same spot as the air-chief (replacing the lion-badged panel under the radio grille).  These won't fit anything else, so if you find a radio attached to one of these it's probably what you're after.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2002, 12:04:09 PM »

Here are some pics of aftermarket radios as fitted to FE FC's. Note the radio housing used for installation. This is a one piece chrome bracket that replaces the standard radio cover plate in a FE FC dash.

AWA Cruiser (later model transistor in pic)

AWA Cruisermatic...Push button.

The AWA emblem was made of plastic and was mounted by pins going through chrome housing.

HMV push button radio.

Note the speakers behind the speaker grill.
Regards
Alex

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2002, 11:01:47 AM »

Hi Les
I have an AWA Cruiser fitted to in my car it fits up as Alex has shown in the photos.If you like I can help you test it and you could see how it fits.
Graham Smiley Cheesy
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2002, 08:40:31 AM »

Thanks guys...
Thanks for the great pics Alex...!! You must have quite a collection of photos to be able to whip out 3 AWA shots like that...
Mine looks very similar to the second shot (push button and chrome face), but it didn't come with that AWA facia you've shown there that fits under the speaker. Talking to Alex this morning at the Heathcote swap, he suggested making a bracket and sit it under the "lion logo", so thats something I might have to look at.
And, thanks Graham, I probably will need a hand checking to see if it actually works... Also need to chase up some kind of speaker, so it will be a little while yet I guess.... will stay in touch for sure...

Cheers... Les.

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2002, 12:44:57 AM »

Hi Les
I may have a speaker you could use it may have to be adapted as its not the original.
Smiley Cool
Cheers Graham
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2002, 09:27:01 AM »

Thanks Graham, thanks sounds great..!! I had a quick look at it all over last weekend, and found that I'll need to do a heap of "other" stuff before I'm actually ready to fit the radio, which may take a while and a bit of tinkering..... :-/

It looks like the back of the radio will almost sit against the inside of the firewall it's that big. Which in turn means I'll need to make up a pretty hefty bracket to hold the bugger up. I've also got to either move or remove a set of guages that sit across where the radio is supposed to sit (not sure if they work either. I know when we replaced the motor a couple of years ago, that the guages were never reconected. When my old motor died on "that" Melbourne trip, the guages never showed any warning signs of what was about to happen... which is a worry). On top of that, my fan is screwed to the front of the speaker grille, so that will either have to move or go altogether too to make room for a speaker. Pity, it's pretty good "air conditioning" in summer....

I need to work out which is the best way to go I 'spose... don't want to go getting too "modified".... Grin... If the guages do work, having a temp and oil pressure guage would be good, not that worried about the AMP one though....

Thanks again.....
Les....

FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2002, 10:52:04 AM »

gidday hewart

now bearing in mind that it was december 1972 when my dad traded his immaculate fe special on a hq vacationer wagon, i am pretty sure that it had a hmv push button radio as in alex's third photo, but i was pretty sure that it was valve rather than transistor, although i am prepared to be corrected on the matter.

manufacture date if the car was jan '57. my own
'effie" is a 1958 model but has a pioneer radio cassete fitted.

hope this helps

denis
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2002, 08:37:18 PM »

Les it sounds very much like mine.the Bracke6ts are very simplistic.There's a bracket that supports the rear coming off the vent handle support bracket and a flat strap that goes straight across the top of the radio on the upper front.I think thats about all.Quite simple really.Sounds like you need to do a bit of moving things around.
Cheers,Graham Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: