FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: indicators  (Read 3740 times)
crystel_angel

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:40:54 AM »

Hi guys just a quick question about the indicators on my FC. The lenses ( the yellow triangle ones) are there but there's no bulb in it and there's no metal contact for a bulb to go into. Instead when i put on my indicator the red brake light blinks even if my foot is on the brake. This is the rear indicators im talking about. Is that normal or should I be looking to buy a contact set for the yellow indicator?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:49:44 AM by crystel_angel » Logged
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:22:53 AM »

Crystal, this is normal for a 1958 and early 1959 FC.  Your car should have white lenses at the bottom, not yellow. They were only for the optional reverse light accessory.
In October 1959 the FC changed and the indicator was moved to the bottom and the yellow lens introduced.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 07:44:19 PM »

You'll find a longer explanation (that says exactly what Ken the Guru said, only with pictures) here.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
crystel_angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:37:48 AM »

Ah awesome, thanks guys. Its a relief to hear my wiring is fine. Does this mean its possible to wire the lenses to work as reversing lights?.... mum insists i get reversing lights somehow, so that would be most helpful  Grin
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 09:12:51 PM »

Yes it is, although not really a case of just walking into Supercheap and buying a kit, unfortunately.

The reversing light kit was a Nasco Accessory (as shown here), that operated off the column shift linkages to turn the light off and on.  These turn up for sale from time to time, but they are not easy to get.

There are wires behind the dash and in the boot (have a look up under the driver's side, there'll be an empty socket up there near the hinge brace) to connect this setup, so you could make one if you were handy enough.

I've seen them done using a basic switch on the dash-board to turn them on and off, but I think it's too easy to forget, so if I was doing it that way I'd be inclined to look into a timer switch that stayed on for 30 seconds or a minute and then switched off by itself.

Of course, if you decide to fit the red motor and trimatic, the reverse light switch is integrated into the tranny shifter, which makes it very straight-forward!

I can take a picture of the original set-up if you're interested, I've got one in my stock FE.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 09:54:47 PM »

Hijack...

Speaking of reverse lights, does anybody know how a reverse light set up works for a TH400?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 10:31:03 PM »

Hi C-A.

Like RET says - easy to fit if you have the switch and some green and orange wire (colour not compulsory, but it complies with the original wiring diagram) and a couple of globe sockets for the back end (globes will help, too).  I ran my power source from the Accessories terminal on the ignition switch, then they'll only go on when the ignition is on.

Put a note up on the Parts Wanted board for the switch and sockets - I'd be suprised if you didn't get a response.

Good luck.

Martin
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 10:32:48 PM by lewis1411 » Logged

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 05:09:39 AM »

Ed,
From memory there should be a provision on the inhibitor switch for the reverse lights. Wink
Regards ACE  Cool
FE_STD_WAGON
qld-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 07:43:49 AM »

Hi Ed ,
Ace is spot on the reverse light switch and the inhibitor switch are built into one and is mounted on the T bar shifter that is screwed to th trans tunnel

Regards Mick
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 08:59:29 AM »

Hi Ed,
Micks right, unless you have a steering column mounted auto shifter. Then it would be mounted to the steering column. Wink
Regards ACE  Cool
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 04:16:18 AM »

Thanks Mick and ACE.

will cast an eyeball over it on the weekend.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: