FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 12:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Door Trims  (Read 4108 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: April 22, 2005, 02:46:29 AM »

When I re-install my door trims, should I be using some sort of moisture barrier? Most cars have a clear plastic barrier.
If so, does anyone have any clever ideas as to what to use?

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:25:41 AM »

Hi stinky,

I tried sikaflex with a plastic barrier but when it dried the plastic just peeled away, so i got some clear plastic(doesn't have to be clear) and cut it to the width of the door trim and then doubled the top over and attached it to the top of the opening inside the door only. I then pushed the plastic inside the hole so that the water would still drain through the bottom of the door.

I still have access to the inside of the door with the trim off and without having to re glue the inside. I have had no trouble with water inside the door.

The cover is also meant to be a dust cover, but I never take the car off the bitumen.

it's not the proper way but has worked for me.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 05:15:37 AM »

Thanks Jason, not quite what I had in mind, but it gives me an idea though.
Glue the plastic to the back of the trim and use some stick on foam/draft excluder gear around the edge of the plastic to seal around the inside door opening.

Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 06:56:19 AM »

That won't work.

The original plastic was cut to the exact opening size and glued around the perimetre of the opening. In addition, it had a flap heat welded onto the inside face that hung over the bottom lip of the opening, deflecting water down towards the drain holes.

If the flap is not replicated, you shall continue to have a water trap between the plastic and the inner door panel which shall leak and distort the bottom half of your door trim
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:10:19 AM »

This is basically how mine works... The plastic bottom sits about an inch off the bottom of the door, deflecting the water.

Jas.

Phone +64 223509263
meeky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 07:35:58 AM »

Stinky,

When I refitted the plastic barriers to my FC Wagon, I was having difficulty finding a product that resembled the original.

After trying a stack of different silicons etc. without much luck I found a jar of left over "stuff" that the panel beater gave me when I was rejoining the upper and lower parts of the front spoiler on my Brock Falcon. It sets like a window putty and turned out to be very similar to the original look and feel what was on the FC .

I don't know what the name of the stuff is - but a panel beater or auto paint supplier should be able to tell you.

MEEKY  
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 07:49:26 AM »

Sounds like drip check? or check seal?
Matt
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 08:51:46 AM »

Stinky
         Go to Bunnings and get a roll of plastic its about .25mm thick comes in a 20 metre roll for about $10.00. Then useing windscreen sealer as this doesnt dry hard, run a good bead around the little lip of the hole. Then take your piece of plastic that you cut earlier (a bit over size). Put the plastic in place and push on it till you see the sealer spread out. Now allow about an hour to tack off then trim to the shape you wish. I have done this many a time and never had a problem yet. If you wont I can cut a set out of the roll I have at the workshop and send them over to you.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »

Thanks for all the tips fellas, I went back to the car and checked the hole out and now I see why my previous idea won't work.
Sarge's idea was the next thing that came to my mind so I'll give that idea a go.

Cheers

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 01:25:41 AM »

Stinky
        Trust me old friend, would I lead you astray. Wink

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351