FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:21:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: power steering for fc  (Read 5822 times)
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2002, 08:46:18 AM »

Huh   My Fc has a 202 motor with a HR front end with 7 inch rims...steering is very heavy....is there a bolt on p/steering available ?

next....My engineers cert required a dual master cylinder which I had installed.....however before installed the brakes needed little pressure and worked perfectly...once the dual had been fitted  ( they are power assisted ) they work ok, but need twice the amount of pedal pressure....why ?

Phil
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 03:08:17 AM »

yackboy,

I'm not aware of p/steering as a bolt-on, but there are some rack and pinion steering options around that might be another option to consider.  CRS do one - see http://www.rodshop.com.au.  This also gives you some different steering box options as well.

With your brakes, are you sure the booster is getting vacuum and works correctly?  Does it feel any different with the motor off?  Find a safe hill somewhere where you can roll down with the engine off, and pump the brakes a couple of times as you start to get rid of any residual vacuum (assuming you have any in the first place  :-/ )

Apologies if I'm you've exhausted this possibility already.

RET

[Edit: dodgy URL for CRS grr]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2002, 04:05:49 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 04:01:10 AM »

HEy Yackboy,

Sounds like your booster is leaky??
anyway about the power steer front.saw a HD on the weekend with a torana front end stuffed under there!. not as neat as an HR front, because the bolts ar in different positions and there was 5mm plate along the subframe rail,... nevertheless effective.
you could then use torana stuff (LH-LX) turning circle would be better than a CRS LH-LX kit too.
much easier to buy a pre engineered CRS kit for an HR front tho.

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 07:04:19 AM »

Yackboy,   If all above works out to be working properly, I suggest the following;
Measure the distance from the Brake pedal pivot to the actuating point on the pedal
Measure the distance from the Brake pedal pivot to the centre of the pedal rubber.
Divide the longer by the shorter and this is your brake advantage ratio.
Now compare this ratio to that of the car which the booster came out of.
If your ratio is higher than that of the donor car, then your brake effort will be higher than that of the donor car.
Since most cars are designed to have a fairly similar brake effort, you will experience a brake effort higher than you may feel comfortable with.
The only way to fix this is to shorten the distance from the Brake pedal pivot to the actuating point on the pedal.  (ie lift the booster up higher on the firewall)

Ken
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 07:29:41 AM »

Yackboy

Power Steering came out in EH's and HR's although very rare I have seen complete kits in the Trading Post for $500 at least then you will not have to go to the rack and pinion setup which you would then loose your turning circle
Hope this Helps

Revhead_Fc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: