FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:51:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor- Gas Conversion?  (Read 3232 times)
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2005, 07:28:26 AM »

Hey Guys,
Just a quick couple of questions, with petrol predicted to reach the $1.50 mark sometime in the near future, what are the possibilities of converting the old cars on to gas?

Has anyone done it?

Is it possible? What was the outcome?

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:55:39 PM »

Yes it can be done, but it's questionable how worthwhile it is, as a general rule, for cars this age.

LPG conversion requires the same hardened valve seats as a ULP conversion, which is not cheap and given that there aren't any grey heads around under 40 years old, you'd need to be really confident that it was a good one you were having done.

As the cost of petrol rises, the inflection point at which it makes economic sense to do this conversion drops, but you're still talking about many thousands of litres of fuel to reach that point.  Do you intend doing those sorts of miles in your FE?  Bear in mind also that the price of LPG is not a constant either, and could also rise, wiping out your expected savings.

There's a worthwhile read on this topic from Money Magazine.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »

Ta Ret,
Thank's for the info regarding the conversion, I have learned another valuable bit of knowledge about Grey Motors - A couple of people had asked me if I was going to put her on gas. That's all
Having previously owned a dual fuel 4x4 running an old 2F, I was also just curious, myself about whether it could be done to the old grey. I pretty much knew the cost involved and any benifit's to be gained. But
thank's for the link from MM.

Nick
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:33:42 AM by 20.4_seconds » Logged

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 07:57:44 AM »

just as i was reading this i htough id add my two cents

although petrol maybe 2-3 times more expensive than gas, gas does burn alot quicker which means by the tiem you go putting all the imco gas shit on the motor, and also trying to find or get made a kit it would be pointless

cheers
torque

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: