FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:18:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Horn Button and Badges  (Read 3606 times)
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:01:14 AM »

Hey Guys,
I did a search of the last 100 days or so but couldn't find anything.
Q: Is there a way of repainting, colouring the horn button, badges and hubcaps back to the old holden black and red, any tips would be awsome...be it spraying or brush or anything someone has tried and worked?

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 08:18:43 PM »

Hi Nick

I have just repainted the 'Special' badges that flank the rear quarter panels. The paint had worn off completely, so what I did was buy a tin of Humbrol acrylic paint from a hobby shop, as well as two very fine-tipped brushes, one a size up from the other.

The smaller one allows you to paint the edges of the 'lion' badge, whilst the other just fits into the strip of the 'Special' lettering with ease.

First thing I'd recommend is to clean the badges thoroughly with warm soapy water. You will also need a rag with a bit of metho on it to wipe up flooding of the paint, as I found this is prone to happen.

Speaking of flooding, the 'HOLDEN' lettering above the Lion emblem I flooded with paint on a toothpick, then wiped away the excess paint with the rag. I found this was the easiest way of painting it.

I'm sure there is an easier (read 'quicker') way, but I enjoyed the peace and quiet whilst doing it.  

Four coats later and it looks great!

I hope this helps.

Josh
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »

Thanks for that Josh, I'll let you know how I go.

Now for that pesky  HORN BUTTON

come on guys,,,have any of you restored one

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 06:30:32 AM »

Have tried 3 - all unsuccessful. The chrome metallising is no problem, the issue is getting the red colour smooth.  When the chrome goes on, any brush strokes in the red show up.  It needs to be sprayed but I have no idea how to spray the red without getting it over everything else

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: