FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:36:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: the risky shortcut to jindabyne (FCCOOL Tidy up)  (Read 102360 times)
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2006, 02:15:37 PM »

die grinder ,very handy tool to have in your air powered set ups

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »

Leon
       The car is coming along very nicely. Please keep the pics coming. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. With the fabrication shots you are posting we can all benefit.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »

Leon, you should be able to get a tungsten/carbide bit or one of the stone bits to get in there with a drill to grind it down. I have some of both and the tungsten bits seemingly last forever.

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

if you have a compresser ,then invest in ,say a supercheap die grinder,they come with a useless stone kit but you can buy the carbide tungsten type from most tool shops best bet is to have a pointy one and a rounded end one and you can do heaps of work  with them ,my one ive had for 3 years cost $49 minus 20% on one of supercheap's big special days.bits cost from $25 to $60 each but they last for years.
you can grind in hard to get ares,enlarge holes,reshape steel in hard to get to areas, port your heads (plenty of detailed books)mate i cant stress highly enough how useful they are.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2006, 10:18:10 AM »

Ive tried cheapo stones and they instantly chew up, I might try some dearer ones and if that doesnt work I will get a die grinder, ive been looking at buying one for years.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2006, 11:57:46 AM »

If you are chewing up the stones, then go the carbide bits. You don't need the die-grinder a drill will do, but the die grinder can get into tighter spots.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2006, 08:50:40 AM »

Leon,
       Its absolutely awesome to see
some progress on your wagon- its
really quite hard to believe that you
started it back in march last year,
time flies aye? . i bet you must be
pretty excited to finally get the motor
back from the shop, can you tell us
what has been done to the motor?.
i cant wait to see it when its done,
by the looks of things it looked to
be a really kool custom, i guess it
will only look better this time round.

Anyway keep up the good work Leon,
its really great to see a wagon being
Customised Smiley

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »

of the top off my head here it is, the invoice took up 2 pages.

chemi clean block.
bore & hone
tunnel bore (for minimal crank friction)
ARP main stud kit.
3.3 counterbalance crank machined to 186
Block O'ringed
ACL cam bearings fitted
balance
3.3 black conrods shot peened, closed & honed
ARP conrod bolts
ACL race series pistons
piston dish machined.
red block drilled and plugged for 12 port head.
ACL race series copperhead head gasket drilled to suit  
black/red combo
12 port head striped and cleaned.
chambers cc'd
ports ported
pep pro valves fitted with double springs
ARP head stud kit
Yella Terra YT series rockers
Yella terra guide plates
crower adjustable straight cut timing gear set
and this cam-

The engine shop has recomended that I bring it back to have some of the assembly done, Apparently the rings may need filing to get 18 thou on each one, also a dial indicator is needed for fitting the crank gear and the head gasket is supposed to be tricky to get rite, also measurements need to be taken before the pushrods are ordered so I am going to clean it,, stick in the welsh plugs and crank and give it all a paint then take it back to the shop, hopefully it wont be there too long this time.
Also my ignition has arrived, it is a crane cams hi6 trc digital multi spark cdi ignition with timing retard control, with this I can adjust the timing from the drivers seat.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »

I priced a burr and they were $60, they had about 40 to chose from, I chickened out at the price.
It's getting pretty close to the Nationals, Ive drained my bank account dry and the neighbours are probably near their limit to get the cops back out here.
I am thinking of entering but will be totally amazed if I actually make it.
I had the day of work today due to a eye infection from another grinding spark I picked up days ago.
I had a little bearing Issue were the engine shop supplied duralite instead of race series when race series was asked for, the shop told me that there was no difference with the two types but after sending a email lastnight I recieved a lengthy phone call from ACL and a email full of info and related pdf's, ive never seen such customer service for parts, they even contacted a performance specailist rep to go to the engine shop and explain the differences in there products.
This shop actually seems to have worked on about 90% of the sub 15 sec holden 6 cars that are racing at wsid.

The engine has been degreased, washed with detergent,  cup brushed, wire wheeled, lightly sanded and breif deburring on some obviuos rough spots, deoxidised, scoured, prepsoled, masked and etch primed with 2k etch, timming cover, rocker cover will be polished and painted with a por 15 alloy resto kit

fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2006, 05:31:52 AM »

Yes officer, its a GREY motor!

greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2006, 01:24:17 AM »

thats a great list of internals in that red or should i say grey, triple webers would look nice hanging off the side scare a few smallblocks too
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2006, 06:58:16 AM »

trople webers would be good but the compression ratio now is only suitable for a turbo or supercharger, it will be supercharged with 2x 2 inch SU carbs and water methanol injection.
At first I wanted to go a darker grey like Ed Singletons motor but I ended up woosing out of that at the last minute as I thought with the black motor head that people might instntly think its a black motor.
Its basicly a red HP motor painted grey with everything out of a black motor, eg. crank, rods, hea. now depending on the situation I can say I have a 179 hp or I can say it has a grey six or I can say it has a supercharged 208 all without really lying.

fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2006, 09:39:15 AM »

I dont know how the thing was staying together but it seems everywere I take paint of I just end up with heaps of rust holes.
Since the front will have frenched headlights I want to smooth up around its tail as well, I was thinking of getting tail lights out of something else but everything seems to big for the little holden, also a shortage of time and money makes the idea off frenching the standard tail lights sound good.
Once you take away the chrome you have a pretty short lens to fill the hole so it seemed apprpriate to raise the bottom of the tail light area up, I dont know exactly what I will do here yet but heres the start.

fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2006, 10:41:26 AM »

Cant complain about the weather this weekend, slight drizzle and it did get a bit hot for a hour or 2 but was a nice overcast weekend, ended slightly early after my youngest son split my older sons head open while I was out the front.
As usual everytime I remove paint the steel under the filler looks like swiss cheese, I trial fitted  the pass side doors and and cut the curve on the lower rear corner of the rear door. Then I cup brushed the back door arour the curve and noticed under all that nice paint was a bunch of holes. This is one of the last panels I was going to keep that was on it before as it looked like the only good one but it was just good bog.
now it looks like I am in the market for a new pass side rear door.
while in the mood to strip I then moved to the top of the dog leg but that just led to more dissapointment with a 2" hole in the outer and large swiss cheese area on the inner
I then decided to stop so I wouldnt throw anything.
The door jambs are pretty time consuming, one tricky bit I am not looking forward to is the windlace retaining strip that curves back at the bottom, it was non existant and needs to be remade, small bit but fidly.
The engine is slowly coming along but is currently stuck in my boot and become to heavy to get out by my self. might have to take the bootlid off the LTD and crane it out on the road.
I finaly got the outer lower pass side dog leg on but needs some slight altering. The one on the otner side was done while the car was on it's side and after looking at the pass side one I think I will cut up the drivers side again and re do it.
I guess I am nuts as I went and entered the nationals, I guess at least I will get a goodies back and t shirt and there was some good goodies last year.
Then also there is the chance like ahh, 1 in a miillion that I could get this thing driving and take it down.
I thought I had 2 weeks holidays but recently found we were over paid last year and they corrected it by deducting a weeks holidays, ouch
I guess this means I will be having another week like last year of working flat out on the car, hopefully it wont rain this time.
In these pics the car looks nearly finished but it is just sitting together, the subframe has been wire wheeled, sanded and acid treated already twice and now is again covered in surface rust and still awaits brackets for the brake booster, water / methanol pump ( its a big pump)claxton, washer tank and methanol tank, the metahanol is injected to help prevent detonation under boost without retarding the timing.
The front door is a good spare I was trying to sell awhile ago for $45, glad I didnt as it looks like a smick door, I had already preped a door with all the modifacations but ditched it due to rust. the doors will take a bit of work having power windows, central locking, speakers, push buttons to open outside, power window switches, curved lower corner and the front door mould holes filled on top of usual preperation for a door.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2006, 11:03:27 AM »

Keep going Leon, the trials with my car and now the ute seem trivial compared to the tin worm you are battling. Can't wait to see the finished product!

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2006, 12:52:24 PM »

please tell me your not putting those disgustingly ugly twin headlamps on front?theres already one to many around.
theres good mods and then there is joke mods,
please dont do it. Shocked

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »

Hey Leon,

Keep chipping away mate, funnily enough the passenger side rear door and dog leg were the most problematic areas on my wagon too.

cant help with a door unfortunately or a dog leg as I used them up on mine.

Love the headlights.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2006, 01:38:45 AM »

please tell me your not putting those disgustingly ugly twin headlamps on front?theres already one to many around.
theres good mods and then there is joke mods,
please dont do it. Shocked

And which one would that be?

Leon's car, Leon's hard work, Leon's choice to do whatever the hell he wants with it.  I don't recall seeing a poll seeking opinions from the crowd.  Maybe you should keep yours to yourself. Sad

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2006, 08:20:06 AM »

nah I am used too this stuff from visitors, you know, your doing what, dont do that, do it this way but if you dont do what you want you get haunted for the rest of your life thing what if?
I learned last time to block what input you want to block after giving in to my self and doing things over again my way.
I know this car is a little out of the common and will get all kinds off comments, good and bad but one thing is it will stand out and be remembered and that is kind of cool.
I better also add these are FORD head lights!
They are from a 58 edsel and were a popular choice with kustom show car builders in the early sixties over in the US were the scene was biggest.
Ive had the picture in my head for to many years to stop now.
hope I dont upset you guys too much but really this car was ready to be melted into hyundai excels and probably shouldnt be getting this second life with all the rust repairs required.
Last time I built the car the thing local car nuts were getting upset about was my choice in colour and wheels
They reckoned you cant have hubcaps on a hottie and the colour looked gay, I didnt give in and when I finnished I was happy with my decisions to listen too myself and not really worried about what other people thought.
This time everyone is telling me not to change the colour, critics are so hard to understand sometimes but the colour will be near the same.

customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2006, 10:40:06 AM »

Ahhh Nicko.
Im the newest member of the....
'I hate Nicko because he's the biggest wanker on the board club'.
I was going to say something that involved your mutha, but she doesn't deserve it as she has had to put up with her dumb as dog shit son for all of your life.

Leon....you are going to get wankers like Nicko making closed minded remarks about your car on a regular basis. You have the right attitude, do what you want and only value the opinions of those who can understand why you did what you did.

Oh and Nicko, perhaps you would be happier in the Singer restorers club.

Regards
Alex

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: