FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ridgey Didge's FE  (Read 17631 times)
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2006, 09:48:14 PM »

This is my car.  It was my grandfather's car until his death in 1978.  I used it as a daily drive until 1987 when my wife and I went overseas.  When we returned other things (mostly kids) took over as priorities.  It was in September 2005 that she passed rego after needing a few things done to catch up on the intervening years.  I like to describe her as preserved rather than 'original', as she is the way the years have lead her to be - some marks and small bumps, and nothing special under the bonnet.
I hope you enjoy looking at her.

A worn, but original key.

Cheers,
David

customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 10:05:16 PM »

Hey David.
That is a beautiful looking FE with a proud history.
Great to see it still in caring hands.
I love the colours as I can not recall seeing another, over all the years. I hope to see it in person some day.
Regards
Alex

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 10:20:35 PM »

Great looking car there David.

steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:39:28 PM »

Very very niiiiiice! Grin
Cheers
Deano.

FE and FC"S rule.
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 12:46:15 AM »

David nice car, are you gonig to the Nats. There's nothing quite like the family connection.My Fe belonged to my Dad it was his first car.He now drives a commodore.
Cheers,
Graham
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 03:01:31 AM »

Very nice car! Great to see another stocky out there getting well looked after would be great to see it on the island at easter?!
Brett

Brett Gillard
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 03:04:53 AM »

Yep, I'm coming down for the Nats - a first timer obviously and really looking forward to it.
Thanks for the nice words.
David

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 08:18:31 AM »

Over the weekend I had the chance to rummage through the family slide collection and came up with this one.

Yes, that's me taken in November 1959, and yes, that's my car.  This is the earliest record we have of the car in the family and puts it as having been bought when it was less than 2 years old (as it is 1958 built).

I was pretty happy to come up with this shot, as there seem to be none of my grandfather with the car - that seems to be because it was my grandmother who was the photographer.

It seems that the car has aged a bit better than I have anyway.  Those ears .......  

Me and my car - its been a lifelong journey.

Cheers,
David

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 10:53:51 PM »

David,

I had the opportunity to read your member profile in this month's Pist 'n' Broke, and thought it was one of the best - if not the best - profile I've ever read.  Great story about a car with great history.

Looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks time.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 01:09:25 AM »

David,
Great shot  have a similar 1 taken the day i came home from the hospital, only thing is all you can see is the baby blanket.
See you at the island.
Cheers,
Graham
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 08:28:14 AM »

;)Dave love that keyring,and will be looking forward to seeing your fe in the flesh,at the nats,the old girl looks pretty good to me!!!! ;)jamie
Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

Gotta hand it to you David, great pics each and every one of them (even the baby pic lol). Keep up the good work on the FE .... hopefully I can have a drool over the FE at the Nats.

Regards ...... Pete

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »

Check this out.  

http://www.ccar.com.au/

April edition, bottom right hand corner, front page.

I'm pretty chuffed. Grin  Must get myself a copy or 2 as a keepsake.

Cheers,
David

Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 12:49:12 AM »

Just came across the April edition of Australian Classic Car with your FE in it David, excellent article and very informative. I believe so far it is the second edition of ACC to feature a segment on the FE (I believe Wayne's FE was the first a couple of years ago). But geez .... DID you have to leave out your baby pic?? Wink That baby pic is PRICELESS!!! Grin

Regards ...... Pete
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:50:53 AM by SaucerfulOfSecrets » Logged

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 12:52:39 AM »

David I saw a copy of Australian Classic Car last night and mate the whole thing was great photos article fantastic stuff.
Cheers,
Graham
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 10:28:35 PM »

Hi David.

I have just read the profile in ACC of you and your car. It is terrific.

I feel the same way as you do about that smell and all the blemishes that make each old car unique.

I have an Alfa that I bought when my daughter was born 15 years ago. Stupidly I sold it, then even more stupidly came over all sentimental and bought it back five years later, completely worn out .

So it was stripped to a shell and I completely rebuilt it. The only thing I didn't do was repaint it despite the fact that the paint is tired, there are a couple of different shades of green and in places the primer is showing.

But if I'd painted it, it wouldn't have been our car as its always been. Look forward to catching up with you and comparing patinated FEs!

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »

Hi David,
That was a great article in ACC, really enjoyed reading it....makes me happy I have an old war horse of an FE Wagon with a bit of a history Grin Tongue

Loved the fire story  Shocked Grin

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »

Guys,
Thanks for all the great comments.  I was a bit nervous about the article, because it was a sit down and chat with a tape recorder rolling session, and the guy went away and wrote it up without reference back to me.  He's got it spot on though and I am really happy with it - although still somewhat disbelieveing that there I am in print with my car!!
My family are all saying "What would Grandad make of it all?"  I suspect he'd also be pretty chuffed to think his old girl was around after 48 years and still looking good.
But - she isn't any better than good.  There are blemishes and I don't want anyone thinking she is in top condition because it will all be there to see at the Island.
New tyres all around went on yesterday - the ones on her were pre 1987 and had good tread still but were perishing and not safe, especially on the corners at Phillip Island track.
Pete, the baby photo only came to light after the deadline for the article, so that's something for the forum that others will miss out on.  That also explains why the article talks about the car being bought in the early sixties.  That date has now moved back to pre Nov 59 on the strength of the date on the slide.  I've gat a cousin trying to track down more photo's, because his dad had an FC and the brothers were often seen out together in their FE and FC, so maybe there is still an early photo hidden away somewhere around the family.  I'll post it if one turns up.
Thanks again guys,
See you at the Island,
David

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 05:14:04 AM »

For the sake of completeness, here's the plate.

Cheers,
Dvaid

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: