FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:45:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are they original FC wheels?  (Read 4803 times)
Howie McQuarrie
« on: March 14, 2002, 03:10:34 AM »

The FC ute that I'm restoring was 95% original when I got it except for air shocks, extractors, twin carbies, and floor shift.....but I never even thought about the wheels until someone said, "I though the FCs ran much narrower wheels than those?"  Of course you feel like saying, "Look here you old codger, maybe you were already 30 something when this rolled off the assembly line and your memory's not getting any better these days", but I'd rather not embarrass my father in law unless utterly and absolutely necessary................Was there only one size wheel during FC production?  Mine all appear to be a "set" even though the back rims are deeper than the front rims?  Is there a quick measurement I could perform or some identifying marks to look for or a reasonably detailed photo available somewhere?
Thanks very much.
Wink  
PS had to miss yet another NSW Club meeting (last night I believe) as I'm flat chat getting ready to move to Melbourne on Saturday; my loss, but I'll be back to Sydney in 2 years with a pristine, stock ute!
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 06:22:11 AM »

;)HI HOWIE,
YOUR FATHER-IN-LAW IS PROBABLY RIGHT.
ALL FC'S WERE EQUIPPED WITH 13X4.50 RIMS.
PART NUMBER 7408888
REGARDS ACE
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2002, 08:25:14 AM »

Not only that Howie, but original FE & FC wheels have a rim which is riveted to the centre rather than welded. All wheels after FC were welded.

To further complicate matters, on March 19th 1959, the valve hole size was changed to a smaller diameter.  So if your ute is pre March 59, it should have 13 x 4.50 riveted rims with 5/8" diameter valve hole and if your ute is post March 59, it should have 13 x 4.50 riveted rims with 29/64" diameter valve hole.  All wheels after March 59 had this smaller size valve hole.

Also inside every wheel (visible after you remove the tyre) the date of manufacture is stamped into the rim.

This is why genuine FE and early FC rims are so hard to find!

Ken
Howie McQuarrie
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2002, 11:19:45 PM »

Holy-Moly!

I better get crack'n since the old girl is due to go to the panel beater in May and I wanted the wheels repainted as well....

......which leads me to my next question......does anyone know the original paint colour/formula for rims on an FC ute (appx Aug 59)?

Thanks for the abundant info.  This is a bloody great site!

Howie  Cheesy
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2002, 12:05:27 AM »

I'd be bloody surprised if it wasn't exactly the same as the body enamel, and there's no confusion about that on a single-tone vehicle like a ute.

I'm not the expert Ken is, though.  Bloody hell Shocked 29/64" valve hole from 19 March 1959.  What don't you know?  Roll Eyes

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Howie McQuarrie
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 04:35:18 AM »

....I couldn't agree more with you, S.W.E.C.C. & Bottlewasher!

....I've just gone through the last few weeks re-runs of Sale of the Century and there were no "FC valve stem" questions so Ken must actually be walking around with this stuff up in the top paddock 24x7?!?

It certainly adds a lot of value for the novices like myself.
Thanks again.
Howie  Wink  
Richard
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2002, 11:28:03 AM »

Yes, the original rims were 4.5jx13s, painted exactly the same colour as the car.  But they were no good really, and actually unsafe, so I swapped mine for a new set from an HR, which are safety rims unlike the original FC rims.  The FC rims are only just OK with tubeless tyres because they do not have the safety groove behind the tyre edge steel band.  Also, the centres crack after a few hard years.  Yes, my front left rim fell of my one owner FC wagon when it cracked in 1974, and it rolled 200m away as the fron axle bit the tarmac, fortunately at only 30 mph in the city.  XU1 rims do not fit as they foul the brake drums and suspension.  I bought brand new HR rims, but finally, I used alloys a few years later to get a decent width.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: