FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:52:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rust Repair  (Read 3748 times)
griffo

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2002, 10:02:31 AM »

Could anyone please advise as to the cost of rust repairs to the sills of a sedan also the cost of repairs to the front firewall / subframe.
I am looking a buying a sedan and would like an opinion on costs , thanx .
griffo. :-/
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2002, 02:41:11 AM »

Griffo,  wow, this is such a subjective question!.  It really depends how bad the rust is, the other complication is that Rare Spares are currently not manufacturing sill panels as the die needs replacing or repairing (one of those).
Rare Spares sills are about $100 each, NOS ones I have seen for sale from a guy in NSW for $900 the pair!!!Fitting them would probably cost about $100-$200 each depending on the panel beater you use.  Cheaper if you do it yourself - see the tech section in the FE/FC club site.
BUT- any rust at the front of the inner sill or A,B or C pillars will have to be repaired by making panels by hand as these are not available, making the cost skyrocket alarmingly.  Rust in the base of the A pillar is very common in conjunction with rust in the sill panels.
All up you could be looking between $500 and $750.

Subframe is not too bad as all pieces are available from R/S for about $70 - $90 each piece.  installation is not too bad either as a simple cut and reweld is usually all that is required, probably about $40 to install each piece.  I have a good RH outer and RH inner subframe leg for sale for $20 if this is of any use to you.

Hope this helps

Ken
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 02:47:51 AM »

;)HI GRIFFO
RUST WORK IS SOMETHING THAT YOU CANNOT QUOTE ON OVER THE NET.YOU NEED TO GET A PANELBEATER TO COME AND HAVE
A LOOK AT THE CAR WITH YOU, AND FROM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND MORE RUST THAN YOU INITIALLY THOUGHT THERE WAS.
REGARDS ACE
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 09:20:50 AM »

i have a similar p-roblem in my ute, the front rails that are supporting the bumpers etc are rusted whats the best solution to fix it does it unbolt or does it have to be cut out and a new section rewelded
thanx, Michael.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: