FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 03:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to for handbrake?  (Read 1996 times)
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2005, 02:33:13 PM »

Another silly question? I have put a shortened VS diff (same track as the original) in the FC wagon, now I need to fit the rear hand brake cable.  The VS sedan cable is too short, so I need to either find one that fits or extend the other.  

Has anyone who has done this know which might fit, or what length it needs to be? Or how do I measure it? I have thought of running string but the bend is probably too tight, so it would be short.

Any ideas?
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:04:25 PM »

hi mike, got the same drama with mine, fitted a diff from a VN, cut down to size. question is what handbrake lever are you using? im using the original handbrake lever with the commodore rear cable and getting a  cable made up from these guys to mate the two up. http://www.autocables.com.au/
all you got to do is measure the distance between the two. i think i was quoted around $90.00

the other option is to use the commodore lever mounted between the seats, i was working on mine yesterday and im pretty sure the cable will reach to between the seats. SGO has done a setup using the centre mounted lever, try checking with him.
hope this is some help.
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
MikeM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 01:57:26 AM »

Thanx Dean,

I am running the original lever and just need to extend the rear cable.  I thought about it more afterwards and what I will do is attach it to one disk, run it then just measure the distance .... quite easy really (I think I was trying to make it more difficult than it needed to be, although it is a right prick to get it attached, no room to move with the spring hangers in the way Sad

I spoke with "Autosport" over here in WA and they quoted me $60+GST to extend it, as long as I keep the original cover.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 03:47:10 AM »

your right on one thing they are a bugger to get on, i attached mine yesterday and found it much easier to remove the wheels and swear a little.
was just thinking about what you said re measuring one side, you might run into a bit of a problem as the original handbrake cable comes out below the drivers side but not into the centre of the car, if you only measure one side you may leave yourself short. might be better to fit both sides to the discs then run the cble at full length just to make sure it will clear everything like the tailshaft and exhaust, mine was coming close to fouling.
grab a second pair of hands to hold both cables then measure and measure again.
just a thought,

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
MikeM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 04:05:43 AM »

A good thought, it provides the excuse for an ale or two as well Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: