FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 01:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: clutch options  (Read 3511 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:00:16 AM »

I have a clutch of unknown condition currently backed to a 3 speed crash box and what will be a fairly warm 179 when completed.

I am considering an upgrade while the gear box is out and wondered whether I should get a 1 ton clutch or even a tripple plate?

What would be the best option for a daily driver and are there any hidden technical probs with a clutch upgarde?

regards
Dave
fcphun

fc everyday

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 12:13:40 PM »

Dave

If it is the same crash box as original the tougher clutch will mean you will probably put more stress on the tranny and as a result you will be looking for an upgrade pretty soon. I run a 202 with the original crash box but I am very gentle in first gear (also 2.78 diff). Be careful what you intend doing to the beast as you may find the gearbox will be the weakest link.

Paul
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »

hey off the subject slightly but 202 with crash box, we have it in 1 of our cars but will it pass for reg

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 12:43:44 PM »

Years ago when I burnt out the clutch on an Aussie 4 speed the mechanic recommended a 1 tonne pressure plate on the the Std clutch. Worked a treat! Never had any trouble with that one behind a mild 173, but we are talkin' teenage driving style too  Grin

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:51:33 PM »

hey i would drive like old pplz(u 4 example), i have only eva tharashed a car and that waz on a paddock

so will it pass for reg

sori if u take my oppinion opersonaly, i mean no harm Cheesy

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 01:13:44 PM »

one ton clutch is fine as it has good clamping pressure but the old crash box is a bit week, mind you they hold up ok if you dont thrash it.and are no problem for rego as they are standard with no mods needed,

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 01:28:02 PM »

Thanks Nicko and paul,

Sounds like the 1 tonner may be the go.

I know the gear box is the weakest link at the moment... but i really like the look of the column shift and bench seat.

I'm hoping the tall diff and and taking it a little easy in 1st gear will help it last a little while at least.

Still... I've destroyed 3 gear boxes in my little Sunny I drive to uni and its got about as much horsepower as lawnmower...

Regards
Dave
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 02:21:34 PM »

Dave,

At the last Ford vs Holden ShowatHomebush,I spoketoa bloke who owns a green EH Ute that was on show. THe car had a worked red, supercharged or something.  He had a column shifted crash box, which he said had lasted him quite a while of rough treatment.  According to him, the secret to making a crash box survive is to have the gears hardened.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 02:28:45 AM »

Probable a little ot but Roger Handcock from the FB EK car club in Victoria makes a conversion kit that will allow you to use the later Synchro box with the column mounted gera shift, so if the loook is what you are after talk to the club and get Rogers Kit
Matt
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 08:45:17 AM »

Appreciate the help, thanks for all your input!

Regards
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: