FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 01:18:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Torana Brakes, HR Crossmember  (Read 1945 times)
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2005, 11:41:01 AM »

Alright, I've got the HR front suspension unit set up for an FE-EK, red motor, drum brakes.  I've got LH-UC Torana front stub axle assemblies with callipers, discs and steering arms.  I want to put them together, to make a useable front end for my FC-229.

Question time.

1)  Steering arms (bolted to the back of the stub axle).  What model do I use?  My (daughter's) FE has got the same kind of setup and the steering arms are quite different to the Torana pieces.  They look a lot like HQ-WB bits.   Huh

2)  Wheel alignment.  With the Torana stub axles, will the FC suffer from Torana problems or will it have its own hybrid FC/HR/LX peculiarities?   Tongue

3)  Wheel choice.  No question here as I know that the rivetted (original, drum brake) rims clear the Torana callipers when the Torana disc is used.   Cheesy

Cheers

Spinner
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:42:24 AM by Spinner » Logged

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »

No answers to this question?

I'd like to know so that I can start bolting it all together soon.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 12:14:46 AM »

Spinner,

Avoid the torana stubs as the KPIA is incorrect.

The drum brake HR stubs with adaptors offer the correct geometry as do HQ-HZ I believe however, the latter are suited for 14inch wheels.

Ken McLean knows his stuff in this dept.

Also, Ted Robinette in the latest ASR also has an in depth discussion about this which is worth a read for everybody interested in setting up a HR front correctly.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 09:39:42 AM »

Agree with Ed here. Adapt discs to the HR drum stubs. You can get kits for HQ, Late Commodore or 4 cyl Commodore (which retain FC pattern and allow some 13" wheels) discs. CRS or Hoppers Stoppers in Werribee should be able to help.

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: