FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:34:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Grey - What to do now.....  (Read 4604 times)
tikEK

www.mphcruisers .org.au - Pre '65, is OK to drive!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2004, 10:41:07 PM »

Hi all, looks like the trusty grey has seen it's last days.

With a limit on $$$$, I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on what to do. The obvious choice is to get a replacement grey - maybe a few go fast bits ... I drive an EK No F series, but don't hold that against  me  Grin

I live in Victoria and ideally i'd want it Vicroads compliant etc. so 186 and the like would be out of the Qn at this stage, mainly due to $$$$.

What would another option be, that wouldn't require an engineers report

Any help would be much appreciated, and if anyone has a rough idea on cost, even better. Cheers and Merry Xmas.
tikEK (Simon)

Pre '65; it's OK to drive!
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 01:21:19 AM »

A second hand grey will probably set you back a few hundred dollars.  That's the cheapest option, but you of course run the risk that the motor isn't much better than the one you've got.  If you can hear it running before parting with the cash you'll be doing yourself a favour.

Alternatives include 138 red and 149.  In NSW (and Vic I think) neither of these require an engineer's report.  You'll need a later model front end under the car for the engine mounts, but not necessarily HR discs, so they're pretty easy to come by.  Or you could weld the mounts to your existing f/e.

Have a look in the trading post and see how much motors in your area are going for.  Several readers here are members of both the Vic FE/FC and Vic FB/EK clubs, so you might get some local assistance.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 03:53:38 AM »

Hi TikEk
Really comes down to how original you want to keep the car, the cost of rebuilding a grey can almost be as expensive (for the non mechanically minded) as installing a red and disc brakes, so plenty to think about there.
Are you a member of the VIC FB-EK club as they are a great bunch of guys as well and they meet on the third tuesday of the month at the Tower Hotel 686 Burwood road Hawthorne East at 8pm, come along to a meeting and have a chat to the guys they are always full of great ideas and handy info about VICROADS issues.

This is the website address for more info:
http://www.fbekholden.com/index.php?page=Home
Cheers
Matt
tikEK

www.mphcruisers .org.au - Pre '65, is OK to drive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 01:59:08 AM »

Thanks for the info RET and Matt.
I'm not keeping her that original - the plan was to HR front end/186/extractors/etc and flamejob/custom grill etc etc etc.
But my new baby daughter put a stop to that, so now the priority is getting the old girl back on the road.

RET Qn for you, What would the difference be if i found a good red 138/149 as apposed to the grey?
cheers,
TikEK

Pre '65; it's OK to drive!
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 02:22:43 AM »

TIKEK,
I spoke to Dinkum Auto salvage and to Holdies down here re the same for my EK wagon and they seem to think that to fabricate new engine mounts and put the red motor in MAY require the approval of VICROADS. Greg fom Holdies has a 138 red motor at the moment, maybe give him a call? I decided to keep mine the way it is for now
Matt
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 05:42:39 AM »

I'm sure Ken could give a definitive answer on the Vic legislation, but certainly in NSW you can fit a 138 red or 149 without upgrading brakes or doing any other mods (apart obviously from fitting engine mounts).  I would be surprised if the rules were different in Victoria, but I don't live there and have no experience of VicRoads.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 03:05:26 AM »

Maybe you should roll you EK onto the beach, set it on fire and send off to the sea.
grey's are getting dearer to rebuild but a hot grey would look cool, triples and a big sand cast rocker cover with a floor shift and tiki shift knob. maybe then a bamboo grill.
a red will go quicker and take a higher diff better, but wich ever one you run I would be fitting a non fibre timming gear.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 12:04:06 PM »

The 149 from an EH should be legal in Vic. You can purchase a weld in mount kit from various places (Rare Spares?) which will keep the original FC front end. You could pick the mounts off any red motor front end and weld them in as an alternative but make sure they are welded as per EH not the later models (different position) and if welded professionally should not be a problem re rego.

The EH sump is also the correct one and it is pretty much a bolt in. Good running 149 EH motors are not that easy to come by these days although I have a spare one here. You can identify them easily by the lack of any engine size cast in behind the alternator and an engine number prefix of H. Later on when you go to a bigger engine as you can afford to you use the sump and pickup off the 149! The 149 will have a fair bit more go that the Grey. Hey is that the same Tiki from HRI?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 12:06:47 PM by fcstationsedan » Logged

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
eff_see

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 07:28:21 AM »

personally, i'd just reco the old grey with a bit more CR (maybe ACL pistons and their matching moly rings), a very mild cam (like 20/60) and a stock carb.

that way, you don't have to change anything, keep it simple and can enjoy the old girl just as she is for a long time to come... Grin
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 10:41:40 AM »

hey my names darcy, im 14, my dad owns a very powerful fc, it runs 350/350 with 9", all the good gear, anyway, tikek if you have a strong original crash box you can do the following conversion, put a 161, 186 202 any red motor on a grey gearbox, just run red motor flywheel and grey motor slave cylinder, it works weve done it before

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: