FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:24:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hardened Valve Seats  (Read 17793 times)
Its_Not_Pink

I'm Special

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:18:56 AM »

I'm after some info on where I might be able to get some hardened valve seats for my grey motor and also some parts or kits to rebuild it as well.

Also does anyone know why they are phasing out LRP I knew it was gonna happen just don't know why. Is it more a case of phasing out older cars.

Now I have to rebuild the whole motor cause if I take the head off I'm scared the bottom end is gonna shoot through after going strong for 42 yrs. I think the odometer clock has been around once or twice too. Not bad huh? Go holden!

Cheers
Gareth
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 01:19:16 PM »

IF you don't want to pull the engine apart, then just run premium unleaded and use an additive.  It will take a hell of a lot of miles to stuff the valve seats, and when they do wear out,.... then.... pull off the head and put in stainless seats.  
A holden 6 head should be around the $300 mark to fit stainless seats from an engine shop, and you only have to do the bottom end if you feel it needs it.
Then maybe drop in a 5.7 unleaded chevvy instead!!

regards  Earlee
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 01:19:46 PM by earlee » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 10:24:53 PM »

Hardened valve seats run to about $400 last time I looked into it, it was a bit over $30/valve.  There is also an in-line fuel solution called FuelStar that lasts as close to forever as makes no odds, but it costs about the same as getting the head done.  Those who have this kit have been happy with it.

Valve-master or flash-lube are the least intrusive solutions.  My advice is:
- don't rebuild a motor without getting the valve seats done
- don't take the head off until you need to pull the motor down.

In the meantime, use an additive.  If originality/authenticity is important to you, then add the stuff to the fuel as you fill up.  If keeping the engine bay looking stock is less important, then I would suggest looking into the Flashlube kit (see pic).  This feeds the additive into the fuel via the PCV line, so you don't have to worry about it with every fill.  You just top the bottle in the engine bay up from time to time, when you check the other fluids.

The reason why LRP has been discontinued can be found in this article here.  (The attached photo is one that was taken for that article but not used, of my other FE's engine bay).

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 10:29:40 PM »

The kit shown in Rets photo,is what most LPG installers use,plenty of them around second hand and easy to install as they are just an adjustable drip feed set up.last one i saw new was only around the $100 mark anyway.
cheers Nick
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:30:27 PM by nicko » Logged

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 10:42:20 PM »

just as a matter of interest,i have done over 3000 miles in my FE this year running it on unleaded with no additives and its going better now than when i first started driving it.as the grey is low compression it behaves very well with unleaded.there is actually a groundswell of people who say the burned out valves from unleaded fuel is a fallacy created by car dealers and oil companies,as a scare tactic in the very early stages of unleaded.
dont know about that but my HR has done over 34000 miles on unleaded with untouched motor,

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 11:30:48 PM »

Whilst we are talking about fuel and stuff, thought I might part some of my ill found wisdom upon you...if you are interested.

( just my opinion ).....I was advised by Minicraft in WA to run Ultimate 98 in my rebuilt ( no hardened seats ) 998 mini Cooper.   I was also told to run Ultimate 98 in my Ducati 900 SS ( 93 model ), as this is the highest octane fuel you can buy at the pump.   Ultimate 98 is a BOP brand, or SHELL Ultra ect ect.

Anyway, back when our cars were made, the SUPER fuel was close to around 100 octane unlike todays Unleaded which is only 91 octane.   Premium is 95 Octane, and Ultimate is as the name suggests....98 octane.

Anwyay, I took this advice not knowing any difference, and I can honestly say DON"T TOUCH THE FLAMIN STUFF !

It is the worst thing you can do.....both the Cooper and the Ducati, used to stutter a bit under acceleration...was never smoothe running, and could never work it out...until a ducati mechanic told me to switch to plain old Unleaded.    Well....from the minute I filled the tank of my Ducati with plain old  91 octane unleaded..it was a different beast.....smoothe....more powerful, just awsome !

Apparantly although the fuel is a higher octane, for some reason, Ultimate burns black.........well derr.....but I mean sooty black, more so than unleaded.   What happens, is when it fires, and burns to a black sooty residue, it fould up your plugs in no time at all......fouled plugs=less power, uneven running ect ect.

So if you are running Ultimate and your car is not as it should be...just try plain old unleaded...or premium if you want to spend the extra.

I also agree with all comments made about seats and head work and aftermarket lubricant kits.

Just had my head serviced, cleaned, machined, new stainless seats, and valve guides ect ect on my red 202..cost me $550 all up.

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 12:08:20 AM »

Re the Flashlube Valve-Saver kit, this was $85 fitted (including full 500ml bottle), meant to mention that Roll Eyes

As far as Le Grande Conspiracy is concerned, this article here explains Octane ratings, why higher doesn't necessarily equal better (and in fact means the opposite of what most people presume!), and the long-term effect of not using an AVSR (anti-valve seat recession) additive in older motors.

For what it's worth, once you have sorted some form of valve protection, the following fuels are recommended:

Grey: ULP
Red: PULP or equivalent

Octane levels of ULP and the old "Standard" fuel are quite similar.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Its_Not_Pink

I'm Special

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 02:08:04 AM »

Thanks for the info..

I'm leaning towards pulling out the motor and giving it a full rebuild including the head. As she is getting a close to rebuild stage(ie compression starting to fade, 40 odd years without being touched) although I have no doubt it would last a bit longer.

I have a local engine shop that will machine the head and block for me but they aren't sure about the grey motor heads and block. used to dealing with reds, blues, etc. So they want me to source all parts for the rebuild in particular the valve seats. Any ideas where I can get them and other grey motor parts.

Also what are common mild upgrades to the grey that are worth doing. I've heard putting a red motor head and crank can be done, is it worth bothering. Any info and advice on the rebuild would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Gareth
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 04:54:55 AM »

BM Higginbottom / GEM offer a well-priced reco service that includes the hardened valve seats, with a 100,000k / 3 year warranty.  They can do your motor or an exchange one, depending on what you want done and availability.  You can even buy a pret-a-porter grey motor from your local Holden dealer (who source them from GEM I believe). I'd look into the price of these services before starting an escapade like that with your local machine shop.  Alternatively, shop around places that do heads as a specialty.  What part of the world are you in?  Someone here might be able to make a recommendation for you.

As far as the red motor component transplant, I've never seen either of those mods done.  The crank and head would both be too long, surely?!  

Back in the day of speedway grey motors, all manner of things used to get done, like Repco and Dunstan heads, reboring to silly sizes and whatever.  There is a crank from something else (English make I think?) that does fit with a bit of work to produce a stroker, but really, you're talking serious bespoke engineering (ie $) there.

I'd be thinking mild cam and extractors first, personally. Or a 149 red transplant.

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 04:56:48 AM by ret » Logged

Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 07:34:45 AM »

Ret,

I believe that the crank is a Bedford crank, and can be used with Zephyr pistons to produce a displacement in the vicinity of 160 ci.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 08:32:44 AM »

Hi Guys.
Hadn't heard of the Bedford crank before, but I would love to know more.
The best way to go, is a Vauxhall Steel crank & Main cap bridges. These puppies make the bottom end unbreakable. BUT, it isn't just a matter of bunging the crank in. The bores need to be re-aligned. This costs a fat wad of cash (Looking at $4,000 or so). Then you need all the extra goodies to make it worthwhile. But after that, it will flog the meatiest Red there is.....NO PROBLEMS!!!
A mate (Robbie 1) & I (Robbie 2) are in the process of building a Supercharged Grey motor to go into his JWF Italia 60's kit car. The Norman is off my Copcar & we will be trying all sorts of mods etc & will keep a record of our results (Well, he will be doing all the building, he is using my Norman so I will be keeping all the results to share here).
Should be heaps of fun.
The car hopefully will be ready for the "Return to Longford" weekend in TAS.
(His car usually runs a Vauxhall steel cranked Grey)

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 12:53:30 PM »

Hi Rob
Whats the deal with your COP car. Do not tell us all it has been put on the back burner for yet another project.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 01:00:16 PM »

just walked into servo this arvo and there was a box full of flash lube kits for $79.95 on shelf,cheap insurance id say.

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 10:29:16 PM »

Hi Jim.
No way, Mate. I sold the HG wagon, so now the Copcar is at my house. Not far to walk to work on it now. Interior is done, engine is nearly finished & front guards are last on the list of finishing. Car will probablly be half flat black until I save some more $$$ & the Norman won't be under the bonnet while I am playing with the racer, but it will  be back there at some stage.
I will get photos when it is done.
Not long now.............
Rob J

streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 06:31:46 AM »

Those flash lube kits are a lot more expensive than what Ive been paying!- I paid $29 for mine. The retail on them was about $45. This was from Thompsons spare parts  which is now owned by Coventry. Maybe the prices on these have escalated  since the fuel scare.......I mean how much is a plastic bottle  with a needle and seat with  a small rubber hose attached to it really worth? Even comes with a fancy wire bracket..... I suspect it would not cost that much to produce  but compared to a hardened headjob  the vendors must reckon they can push the price up a bit and get away with it.  If I can walk in off the street and buy one for $29 trade then somethings amiss.
Cheers streetneat

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2004, 06:37:29 AM »

I have a flash lube kit on my Landcruiser and that fancy wire bracket - same one as on my push bike to hold the water bottle Wink

Mike
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2004, 07:30:08 AM »

Hi Again, Guys.
We had our club meeting the other nigght & there was a fella there for "ROIL" oil additives. He showed us all these fancy tests & results that proved this stuff actually conditioned the metal & reduced friction by heaps. The QLD Uni did independent tests & it showed this stuff was shite hot, with the right oil. I am yet to try it, but it seems to be the bees knees.

As for the flash lube ( Sorry for hijacking the thread earlier Embarrassed), I use PULP & Flash lube in all my old cars. They seem to go fine. There is a guy in our club who is running one of those "FuelStar" set ups in his Red powered FC. It has made a hell of a difference, stopped pinging & seems to be doing the job nicely, apart from the fact it gets vapour locked every so often.  We think this is because it is mounted just before the carbiy, right above the exhaust manifold & on a hot day it gets very, very warm. But that is where the distributor fitted it & said it had to go. Who knows? The other side of the coin, is it cost him a bit over $300. Not much more for the stainless seats & valves :-/

Goodluck
Rob J

normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 01:44:04 PM »

Hi Guyzzz
    I've been using ULP and Flash Lube in the "Yella Beast" recently (very technical , suirt in the fuel tank type) and seems to be running same as before . Went in the local street parade today and the old girl didn't miss a beat, even at a walking pace ....   (except boiled at the end , very hot day  Embarrassed )

Norm  Smiley

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 10:10:11 PM »

Whilst we are talking about fuel and stuff, thought I might part some of my ill found wisdom upon you...if you are interested.

( just my opinion ).....I was advised by Minicraft in WA to run Ultimate 98 in my rebuilt ( no hardened seats ) 998 mini Cooper.   I was also told to run Ultimate 98 in my Ducati 900 SS ( 93 model ), as this is the highest octane fuel you can buy at the pump.   Ultimate 98 is a BOP brand, or SHELL Ultra ect ect.

Anyway, back when our cars were made, the SUPER fuel was close to around 100 octane unlike todays Unleaded which is only 91 octane.   Premium is 95 Octane, and Ultimate is as the name suggests....98 octane.

Anwyay, I took this advice not knowing any difference, and I can honestly say DON"T TOUCH THE FLAMIN STUFF !

It is the worst thing you can do.....both the Cooper and the Ducati, used to stutter a bit under acceleration...was never smoothe running, and could never work it out...until a ducati mechanic told me to switch to plain old Unleaded.    Well....from the minute I filled the tank of my Ducati with plain old  91 octane unleaded..it was a different beast.....smoothe....more powerful, just awsome !

Apparantly although the fuel is a higher octane, for some reason, Ultimate burns black.........well derr.....but I mean sooty black, more so than unleaded.   What happens, is when it fires, and burns to a black sooty residue, it fould up your plugs in no time at all......fouled plugs=less power, uneven running ect ect.

So if you are running Ultimate and your car is not as it should be...just try plain old unleaded...or premium if you want to spend the extra.

My bikes had HUGE problems on SHELL OPTIMAX.. this stuff doesnt mix with bike plugs.. fouled 2 sets of Iridium plugs @ 16 bucks a plug its cheaper to avoid optimax.

in the shed
Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 01:07:51 AM »

G'day guys,

I fitted a "Fuel Star" to my Red FC. Fitted in to the pax side wheel arch wall. Did all the stuff that cam with the blurb, and it appears to have done the trick. Stopped the pingging, running a high comp head, and the engine appears to be a lot better of. Cost about $400 for the kit and is real easy to fit. Don't know about the exhaust valves but time will tell.

Grah.

Grah
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: