FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 01:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Flourescent speedo number paint  (Read 3443 times)
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:01:45 PM »

Some of the numbers on my speedo have started to flake off.  Does anyone know if you can get the flourescent type paint that was originally used to redo them in.  If so, where from and what is the best way to clean the remnants of the old stuff out first?

Burnsy

Mike
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:33:07 PM »

Hi,just asked a mate who did up an old Ford speedo about 12 years ago and he found paint that glows at a watchmaker in Melbourne.sorry he cant remember where but thinks if you ask around you are sure to get some.

Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 12:26:07 AM »

Hobby/model shops are the places to go (where they sell kits etc..)...they sell luminous paint which is suitable for plastics. I have some stuff called 'Night Colour' made by Revell which does the job...but there are lots of other makes out there.

Jonno Smiley

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 02:13:03 PM »

Thanks guys, funny that this afternoon I was driving along and the local model shop came to mind Wink  Still chasing any information on removing the old paint or do I just go over the top of it so it covers the areas that have flaked - if it is not exactly the same colour this will probably show up and with my luck look worse than before I started!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 02:13:38 PM by Burnsy » Logged

Mike
craiga
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 08:48:27 PM »

Soak the speedo face in warm water with a little caustic soda added. This should remove the old paint. Any residue can be removed carefully with a toothbrush and brasso, or high pressure water.

Cheers,

Craig.
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 09:26:35 AM »

:)G Day  Burnsy.
I have used with instant success acrylic thinners and a small brush.
It comes up like new. Wink
Regards.
Leon
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 12:51:54 PM »

Geeze, its twelve months since I started this post and the speedo is still sitting on my lounge room shelf and I am still regularly running out of fuel (speedo in the car has a broken odo and fuel sender is us) because I still can't find any of this paint anywhere.  I have been to every hobby shop I have past in the last twelve months and none have been able to help.

Well holidays have started and I am determined to get it done.  Has anybody found any in the past twelve months or does anybody have the reminder of a tin they would be willing to send me?

Mike
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 01:09:42 PM »

You could give your local Gauge repair shop a call and see what they have, failing that try http://www.gaugeworks.com.au they have been a great help for all my guage probs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: