FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:04:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sample FC colours?  (Read 8944 times)
Howie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2002, 10:27:27 PM »

Is there anywhere that original FC colours can be seen?  Holden books?  Websites?  Clubs?  I'm restoring a 59 ute and may change from original light blue.  Thanks a milion!
craiga
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2002, 10:34:53 PM »

Howie,

Older paint formula books contained colour chips. You should Roll Eyes be able to get these from any Holden dealer with a paint shop. Not sure where you are but in Sydney I could supply some places to call and ask.

My brother is a spraypainter and he is chasing this today. He reckons most paint shops that have been around since the 70's should have them tucked away somewhere.

I'll post his answer, hopefully by tonight.

Cheers,

Craig.
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 11:11:33 PM »

G'day Howie
If your in Melbourne you could try a place in Ringwood called the "Paint Stop". Last time I was in there looking for an 80's colour they had lots of old books/colour cards for Holden.

Regards air-chief Cool
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2002, 01:09:11 AM »

Of course there's only about half a dozen original ute colours anyway!

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Howie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 01:30:02 AM »

Thank you all for the assist.  I'm in Annandale, NSW (between Glebe and Leichhardt) and the ute is at the Outlaws down in Gisborne, Vic.  I go down to Melbourne just about every month so snooping around for stuff in either capital city is pretty easy.  BTW, Richard, how to tell what the ridgy-didgy ute colours were anyway?

Is there anywhere with lots of spares?  I think I've got a sedan bumper on it and that the utes came with "bumperettes", which I need to source.

Also needs lots of rubber, chrome work, the steering wheel is a bit deteriorated, and I need some advise on what tyres would suit it these days if anyone has some experience with these areas.

It goes in for panel beating and paint late May so I'm trying to tidy up the rest beforehand and getting prety excited about tooling around in it by July!  Thanks again all.    
craiga
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 02:01:59 AM »

Howie,

You could try Muirs at Ashfield. They should have it.

For 'spares' you could try Rares Spares at Homebush, their helpful but don't have a whole lot left these days. Catch up with us at the NSW Club. Meeting is on tomorrow about 7.30/8.00pm at Holroyd. The club site has details.

Everybody is always happy to help and you may get the stuff your looking for - or at least an idea were to start looking  ;)cause some stuff ain't easy to find nowadays. Cry

I'll post more tonight.

Craig.
Howie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 02:32:13 AM »

Thanks heaps Craig.  I'll try Muirs and Rare Spares and may see you there tomorrow night.....if I can find Holroyd in the Gregory's and get a leave pass!  
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2002, 05:24:53 AM »

Howie,

Ditto to Craig's comments.  Come along to the meeting and see if anyone can help you out.  The venue can be found here http://www.fefcholden.org.au/nsw/meetings.html - including a map and everything!

There's a heap of info about paint colours and so on in our Tech Info section http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/index.html, although not the original ute colours.  I'm pretty sure I've got that info somewhere, though.  From memory, there's black, a light blue, cream, two different greys, two greens, and some special colours (ie army, PMG etc).

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ken McLean
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2002, 10:05:24 AM »

Howie,  from Jan 59, the ute came out in Granite Grey, Cambridge Blue, Adobe Beige, Cape Ivory & Duchess Green.
From May 59, India Ivory, Skyline Blue, Ice Green, Adobe Beige, Cape Ivory & Ascot Grey.
Colours would have changed again in Sep 59, but I don't have a copy of the sales bulletin covering that release.
I have photos of all FC colours, so if your down in Gisborne some time, look me up - I'm in Hoppers Crossing.

Ken
Howie McQuarrie
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2002, 02:07:41 AM »

Thanks Ken,
that's great news about the colour photos since I did some snooping around yesterday and could only find an original colour chart at Dulux/PPG's offices in Clayton, Vic.  My orginal colour was Skyline Blue, but as much as I'd like to keep it all orignal, the jury is still out on "baby-blue".  I'm a "Ceppo" but my wife is from Footscray originally so she'll be able to direct me to Hopper's Crossing when I'm down there next, hopefully mid-March.  I'll give you as much advance warning as I can.  Thanks again.

Howie McQuarrie
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2002, 06:56:09 AM »

Grin Thanks again for the invite to tonight's meeting but I'm stuck behind a desk at the moment and it doesn't look promising.  I'll definitely make next month's meeting though.  I've got a zillion questions since I'm not quite clear on a lot of restoration topics (ie what's original/what's not/where the hell do I find one of those?).  Does everyone normally drive their beast to the meeting?  Also, does Holden have a museum of some sort, virtual or physical?  You'ld think they would have tucked one of everything away back then.  See you next month and you'll easily be sick of my questions before we meet in person.
Howie  Grin
craiga
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2002, 11:06:46 AM »

Hi Howie,

I've finally got my hands on a complete book of paint swatches and formulas from 1950 through to 1962.

Skyline Blue is listed as 286-2051, mix is

204-4836 White = 98 Parts
204-6312 Brilliant Blue = 1 Part
204-5668 Red Oxide = 1 Parts
204-5048 Ferrite Yellow = trace (mmmmm, I think this is 1950's speak for a little tiny bit  Wink )

This is the formula for the original 'Duco' which is now unavailable.

I have been told that PPG (Dulux) head office in Melbourne hold samples and could match it exactly if required.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: