FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:57:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: W.E.Y. what's it mean?  (Read 7881 times)
FE_225

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2002, 02:34:30 PM »

Anybody know what W.E.Y stands for, or who they were? I thought this would be an easy one, but finding the answer is proving to be difficult. Can anybody shed any light on this? I've scored a WEY alloy cover and would like to know a bit about the origin of these things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony  Grin

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 11:11:48 AM »

Hi Tony.
W.E.Y. certainly is a mystery. I had one on my FC about 15 years ago and was asking the same question at every opportunity. If someone saw it on my car, I would ask them about it. If i saw one on another car or at a swap, I would ask the owner 'the' question, but no-one ever knew. I think it's about time we found the answer to this one. Huh  I will do a little digging and ask some of the FJ gurus and see what I find out. Wink
Regards
Alex

FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 12:17:51 PM »

Hi Alex
Curly one isn't it.
How's this for a very long shot, "Waggott Engineering Y......." He was based in Sydney in the glory days of the old greys. Exactly where I don't know,a suburb starting with Y maybe(hopefully), might be worth trying to find out. Merv did do his own alloy castings apparently,wonder if he pumped out a few alloy covers too. Wishfull thinking? maybe, but I can think of anything else. Might have to track down some old speedway guys and pick their brains. We'll work it out...one day.
Cheers
Tony   Grin
Oh! ...any luck with that Norman sales brochure. I'll throw some cash at you if you find it and don't want it.  

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 01:25:39 PM »

just thought i might solve this for you guys (just incase you guys havent already)

Waggot Engineering Yagoona.  Cool Cool

cheers, Torque
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 01:27:56 PM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:00:43 PM »

just thought i might solve this for you guys (just incase you guys havent already)

Waggot Engineering Yagoona.  Cool Cool

cheers, Torque

Yes, it has been guessed that this is the case before, over a year ago actually,
Here -
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=p4sale;action=display;num=1055882848;start=8

and here -
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1108701149;start=1

but where's the proof?

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 12:50:42 AM »

well i guess they already know then  Roll Eyes

i saw an advert at my mates place, will try to get him to scan it and ill post it up here Cool

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »

Hi guys
Since that original post, I've spoken to countless guys involved in the speedway scene etc from around the 60's and they have all said they are Waggott made. Sorry, no documented proof as yet but maybe Torque's mate can fix that.
Something of interest a few of the "old guys" have mentioned is, is that the garden variety of WEY's we see these days aren't the orginal ones made by Merv. The first ones made had a brass oval plaque mounted in the centre of the cover between the fins with the WEY logo on it. see below.
Would love to find one of these Grin

Greymotor fitted to an MG
Cheers
Tony

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 12:47:40 PM »

Hey Tony.
Cool pic.
I never knew about the earlier WEY covers.....interesting.
Would be interested to see the paperwork on the Waggott claim.
All info I have uncovered have lead to Waggott, but yet to see proof positive.
Regards
Alex

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »

hey Tony. you wouldnt believe what you see on this forum huh? the plaque on the rocker cover in that picture say " Eddy Read For Holden Special"

i know this because...

I Own one Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

i never knew that it was a waggot item, interesting to know!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:03:30 PM by torquefc » Logged

FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 01:50:19 PM »

I'll be stuffed!! WOW! A different one again. Where did you find that?
Not the Waggott  but still very cool. The waggott had a recess in the fins and the brass plaque sat inside that and said WEY.
Leave it with me, I'll get onto my QLD contact and try to get a pic of the genuine Waggott plaque ( it 's that Paul guy I was telling you about the other nite Alex) Hopefully he still has it.

Darcy, if you want to sell it/swap it, let me know, send me a PM please.
Hassel your mate a for a copy of the Waggott advert please, we need closure on the WEY debate
Will be in touch...

Thanks for the pic, most excellent!!

Cheers
Tony

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 02:14:42 PM »

amazing how similar it is to the "waggot" one..

i will be going over his place probably this weekend to help him with his fj, so i will try to get the advert out of him Grin

bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 11:11:08 AM »

Halleluyah!!!
 It appears the mystery has been solved,l only caught it by chance but my old grey motor had a w.e.y tappet cover too,for years people asked me what it was for l guessed the Waggott Engineering part-  the Y had me stuffed (wasnt  klevar enuf to think of tha suburb),& if l came across anyone who l thought might know l would ask them,after many years of frustration l solved the problem myself........l glued a polished ally piece in the space with a little Holden lion in it ! PROBLEM SOLVERED!  well sort of anyway! l look forward to a life of deep blissful sleep now that it has been solved!  Daz.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »

hey Tony. you wouldnt believe what you see on this forum huh? the plaque on the rocker cover in that picture say " Eddy Read For Holden Special"

i know this because...

I Own one Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

i never knew that it was a waggot item, interesting to know!

Hey Darcy, where have your images gone, I am keen to see this cover?

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 09:49:49 PM »

crap  Shocked mustve deleted em, if you want i can email you some more....

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:17:41 PM »

Sorry for going slightly off topic, I had a fairly careful look at the grey in the TF in the photo.

It appears to have a cross flow head without the thermostat housing, presumably replaced with coolant from the chromed hoses in the photo.

Is this a Repco head Huh I'd like to know more about it if possible Wink

Cheers
JOhn

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »

Sorry for going slightly off topic, I had a fairly careful look at the grey in the TF in the photo.

It appears to have a cross flow head without the thermostat housing, presumably replaced with coolant from the chromed hoses in the photo.

Is this a Repco head Huh I'd like to know more about it if possible Wink

Cheers
JOhn

John, you are right in that it has no thermostat housing, it is a standard head though.  It is interesting that they have blanked off the thermostat, I have not seen it on any other motors, must have been due to some fitting restrictions in the TF.  Alternatively the use of multiple water inlets to the head like this may give a more even head temp and reduce the tendency for the rear most cylinders to run hotter?  Someone else might know if it was an old speedway/drag racer trick.

A crossflow head has the plugs in the centre between a cast rocker cover that has two humps (one each side of the plugs) one of which usually has special cast into it.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 10:18:20 PM »

DOH !! Roll Eyes

Thanks Mike, should've looked closer and counted the ports Tongue

John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: