FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 02:30:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steel timing gear  (Read 3330 times)
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2004, 09:56:24 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get a steel timing gear set for my grey motor?

Cheers
Jason

EK 215 - Who needs all that chrome
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 10:59:28 PM »

Jason,

Currently selling on Ebay (they pop up quite regularly) don't know whether the price is good or bad but check this one out.  

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32058&item=2490220297&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Nige
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:58:12 AM »

Yeh, I was thinking of bidding on this one but wasn't sure if the price was good, I know the water pumps that this guy sells are a bit pricey.

oh and sorry about the double posting of this topic, I'm new at this.  Smiley

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 10:04:27 AM »

Jason,

Those sets on ebay are pretty expensive - and they keep coming up, so take your time to shop around - if you get stuck, then they'll still be available.

Rare Spares also carry them, but I don't know the price.  Their catalogue says $85 for the fibre gear, but the steel sets generally comprise both gears.

If you find a cheaper set, let us all know.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 07:59:33 PM »

If you're replacing a fibre cam gear with a steel one, it's not really necessary to get the crank gear because the fibre gear doesn't wear the steel gear. Sets of steel gears you can buy aren't machine matched and they're not hardened like gearbox or diff gears. So if you can get the cam gear on it's own it'll be cheaper. Motor Improvements in Melbourne have them for $88.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 09:34:11 PM »

So what you're saying is the original timing gear sets have a steel crank gear and a fibre cam gear.

I'll start calling around this week and see if I can get any prices. I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks Guys.
J

Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 09:40:34 PM »

As to the argument about steel vs. fibre gears, I asked RET and this was his reply to me:

It has been talked about before.  See

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1047445689

and

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=p4sale;action=display;num=1047725035

As a general rule, it is the clogging up of the timing gear oiler that causes them to fail.  As long as they are getting properly lubricated they will last 70000+ miles.  However, cars that have sat for long periods of time are particularly prone to having the oiler hole clog with old oil.

Steel timing gears aren't especially noisy, but are definitely louder than fibre ones.  That's a fact of life.  But fibre ones with teeth sheared off are too damn quiet - especially on a country road in the middle of nowhere.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 02:07:05 AM »

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will replace my gears with a steel set due to the fact that the car will be sitting for a while between drives, and I'm after a bit of a hot rod sound.

cheers
J

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: