FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:43:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 179 motor  (Read 10964 times)
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2004, 08:42:37 AM »

A friend of mine is looking for a complete 179 holden motor preferably  in good running order and in N.S.W.
Send me a p.m if you've got one and i will let him know.
Regards ACE Cool
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:38:35 AM »

Would he go for a complete 186 out of a HR, nearly the same motor after all!!  $100 will get it, it isn't a 186S motor, just the simple 186P block!  I'm located near Albury/Wodonga on the border.

Cheers

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 08:04:39 AM »

Thanks for the offer Peter, but he is looking for a 179 motor out of a EH or HD holden to convert his car back to original. Wink
Regards ACE Cool
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 09:35:27 AM »

I see.  Does he know that 179 EH blocks and 179 HD blocks are quite different, the EH block is a HP block, the HD was marked 179 on the block.

Regards

Peter

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 05:35:29 AM »

Peter,
Can you tell me what makes the EH block and the HD block "quite different". Smiley
As far as i know they are the same. Wink
Regards ACE Cool
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 08:04:31 PM »

I thought the block marking was the other way round with the HD having the HP block and also in the S4 EH's
Leigh

Red & white is alright
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 10:33:05 PM »

OK as I understand it, the EH has a HP block for the 179, just to difference it from the 149 block, the engine number commences with M also.  In the HD they decided to cast 179 on the block and the engine numbers commence with 179F for the standard block, 179X for the X2 blocks.  They all run steel cranks as I understand it too and the blocks on HPs are no different to any others in strength etc.  I'm not sure if 179X blocks are strengthened at all however??

Hope that helps.

Peter

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »

I should add that when I said 'quite different' I meant to look at with the casting of HP or 179 on the block and their respective engine numbers (just for originality), they are perfectly interchangable as the blocks are no different.

Peter

Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 03:14:13 PM »

I always thought that the HP block was a (canadian) block.  It was called this because it had more (meat) in the casting  to better suit a colder climate and could be bored out more than a standard block. Thats why revheads preferd them as a base for hoting them up as they could be bored out to a 192 without fear of putting the piston through the side of the cylinder. Or maybe this was just an urban myth from my youth. Huh
                          BRAD.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Idle_Mixture

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 07:59:52 AM »

i tink it's an urban myth. Tongue.it's been covered in previous threads i know but i myself tend to be highly sceptical that the so called canadian blocks even existed..different castings and different webbing and stuff dont mean canadian and after all..what canadian vehicle came with such a critter and what factory produced it and also why has documentation never been presented to support these mythical pieces of cast iron..i had a supposed canadian block and after much scrutiny we could find little evidence to support any superiority claims or such..my 2 bits wurth  Wink
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 08:40:28 AM »

The EH 179 blocks had HP cast on the side whereas the EH 149 blocks had nothing cast into the side.
I have never ever heard of the canadian stuff .. and I go back a ways...  sounds like someone is pulling their willy !
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 09:40:27 AM »

the Canadian block we talked about ,is a grey motor not a red.

Idle_Mixture

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 03:00:18 AM »

i was actually refering to the greys..the one i had had the big GMH cast in a large circle (6 inch in diameter) cast on the left side, it had different bearing caps on the mains but in fact they actually looked weaker and of less quality than a normal cap, other than that we could find nothing special and the metal around the cylinders measured no thicker than a normal block so i stuck with what i had and sold the other (canadian block) off to someone who really did think there was something extra to be gained by using it..that block came from an early FJ sedan and the numbers said it was produced at the woodville plant.. sorry bout the thread hijack  Grin
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 05:34:06 AM »

Still looking for a "Canadian HP 179" Smiley
ACE Cool
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2004, 07:51:37 AM »

Grin Grin Wink
At least it will be cheap to post when you find one! They weigh nothing Tongue
RJ

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 08:20:30 AM »

Not many people know that the EH holdens that had the Canadian 179 (HP) blocks also had disc brakes mounted on the kingpin front end - very hard to find these days.  They were a special build and also had an all synchro three speed opel gearbox.  

Earlee.
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 10:54:51 PM »

Geez the 'stories' are getting colourful now, next thing that EH would have had factory air and self levelling suspension also!!  Grin

Peter

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 10:19:40 AM »

Hey Ace,

Is your friend in a hurry for the motor?

I Have two 179's. (Both with HP stamped on them and "M" engine numbers.)

One is a repco rebuilt motor that has 16 000 miles on it and is totally stocko

the other is fully reco motor yet to be started. It has been acid dipped, honed, new rings, bearings, fuel pump, water pumps, painted, new sump, fully reco yella terra stage 3 head, strait cut gears, twin point dizzy, 30/70 cam, reco X2 header etc etc

i'll be parting with one of them - but it will be a few months time - havent even thought about prices

The stocko motor will probably go if everything goes alright, although i might retain the repco block and swap some internals - both are HP blocks nonetheless

just a thought
Dave
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2004, 11:02:42 AM »

GOT ONE Wink
Thanks Smiley
ACE Cool
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2004, 11:08:18 AM »

Was it a CANADIAN BLOCK ....  Shocked Shocked. Grin I believe it has a YANK with the middle finger of his left hand cast into the Block.

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: