FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:30:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chalk marks  (Read 2461 times)
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:36:06 AM »

Having read some other interesting posts regards assembly  line chalk markings, I came across some on my gen. 51,000 miles FC on the weekend. It's fairly advanced in the pull apart process now and I only have the diff and tail llights to remove before it's just a shell.  
The rear doors look like they've never been touched since new and have chalk marks which match the door trims. It's a 50 in a circle with a 1 or / beneath.  Huh The front doors also have chalk marks but these don't match the trims nor the rear doors. Both the front armrests have and 82 scratched on the inside.
Another interesting thing is that one rear door has a tar board stuck on as sound deadening and the other has spray on body deadening (as do the front doors). They all seem to be original doors so - was there a change in the sound deadening method and the tar board one was just a left over?
Leigh

Red & white is alright
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:03:42 AM »

Whilst i was putting in a radio in my FC on the weekend I came across some chalk/crayon marks inside the front left wheel well,just above the floor seam.I will try and take a photo.

Cheers Geoff
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:34:37 PM »

Leigh,
they did change from tar paper to spray-on deadener. I'm not sure when that happened.

Maybe Ken knows the answer to this??

Cheers,

Graham
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »

The change from tar-paper to sound-deadener is mentioned in one of the GM-H Service Bulletins.  I should be able to find it without too much trouble tonight.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 07:51:58 AM »

Yep, service bulletin No H147G dated June 1959, advises that spray on deadener replaces bitumenous board.
Obviously there would be some cars with a mix of both at around the changeover time

Ken
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 07:50:17 PM »

Thanks guys, I reckon I know why they changed to spray on deadener - The tar board just fell off in one piece as soon as I touched it.
Plastic seals on the doors also were 3 different colours - blue, white & grey and were stretched like a drum skin.
Another wierd thing I noticed was the gasket on the dipswitch was made from headlining material. (cheapskates)
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: