FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 02:23:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: floor pan repairs  (Read 2747 times)
greyside

life is good,old holdens also

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2004, 06:34:25 AM »

i'm thinking of using flat steel plates to refloor my fc........the repro ones are crap......any thoughts.......i'd weld them to channels etc
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 08:50:18 AM »

I put a flat zinc coated floor in an austin healey I rebuilt and found that without the factory bends that stiffen the floor, the floor popped (moved up and down) when you stood on it (soft top so you could stand up).  The panel was about 350 x 450mm and was mig welded around the entire seam with a duragal tube brace along one end and this still happened.  It was plenty strong but just something to be aware of if you go with flat steel, the ribs/bends are there for a reason.

Mike
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 08:51:10 AM »

Greyside, after you have had a go making the floor sections from flat steel and making them look more presentable that the repro ones - I will agree with you.

IMHO the repro floor pans, although thinner than original steel, require very little work to make them look quite good.
I would like to see you achieve the proper pan shape from flat steel.
Ken
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 09:56:54 AM »

hi greysude, if your not after the genuine floor pan shape,flat steel has work fine for me-as mine doesn't have the above problem's.providing you weld thoroughly to the appropriate rail's,inner sill,underfloor support brace,and of course all the way around the piece you are fitting.as i have done this as well as fitted the hadfield floor hump in my fe and is fine in strength-and  doesn't pop up etc,p.s-weld all the level bit's first then hit the new metal into the original crease's of the floor pan with ball pain hammer and weld the rest.hope it help's it come's up fairly neat too if you understand my LINGO.COL58FE. Wink
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 10:02:45 AM by dawry351 » Logged
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 12:21:06 PM »

I once owned an FE ute that had what looked suspiciously like a BBQ plate welded & bolted over the gaping hole in drivers floor, so beat that!
Gary
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 12:26:51 PM »

How about layers of tar soaked hession Wink

Mike
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 08:36:23 PM »

In my next life I would....

cut out the entire floor and have a nice flat one folded up and appropriate recesses made for various things.

but in this life....

I would use the repro jobbies.
they are pretty good.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
greyside

life is good,old holdens also

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 04:48:22 AM »

i don't know about tar soaked hession Burnsy but what about old road signs and a few self tappers Grin
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 08:14:37 AM »

Stopped off to look at a possible job on the way home tonight. The guy said that the car had small amount of rust in floor that he wanted cut out & welded. Well I got there looked at car peeled back rubber mat. Only to see cement fibro sheet from the hump to the door & firewall back under front seat. I just Luaghed and walk off. Guess he was right it only had small amount of rust in floor, only because the rest had fallen out. He told me that he had been knocked back for pink slip. Yes the car was in NSW Tweed Heads. And a F*#@d at that.

Regards
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: